WEC parts ways with Jens Pulver

According to multiple sources, Jens Pulver has been released by World Extreme Cagefighting after compiling a 1-7 record in his career since September 2006. Pulver, who debuted in WEC with a 35-second submission over Cub Swanson at WEC 31, went on to lose five straight bouts after the win including four consecutive first-round stoppages. News of the professional separation was confirmed by MMAFighting through a conversation with Dana White.

Also verified by the site was the possibility “Little Evil” could remain with WEC on some level but not necessarily in an on-air role. Pulver has acted as part of the commentary team on a handful of events and is slated to contribute in a similar capacity at WEC 49 on June 20th. No word has surfaced on whether or not the release will affect his status for the event.

However, fans of the UFC’s original lightweight champion can rest assured he has no plans to hang up his gloves regardless of the news or his recent struggles in the ring. Said Pulver, “I’m 0-5 (in my last five fights), so I get it. I’m a fighter. Fact is, I’ve been around a lot longer than these guys today, and I don’t make as much money as them. I’m 0-5, and that’s something I’ve got to fix with me — but I can’t take a year off to work on it. I’ve gotta fight.”

• hindsightufuk says:

its a shame things have gone the way they have for Jens, i’ve always loved watching him, read his books too, guy is a tough fucker for sure.
    i’m sure there is still a bunch of fights left for him on smaller shows, shit maybe even someone like Bellator or Strikeforce could use him for a couple fights here and there. i always liked his insight into fights too, he was one of the better guest commentators for the UFC way back when, i hope he can get a regular gig somewhere that pays the bills

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Jens come on-switch camps-go to Greg Jackson’s for a minute and have him correctly use your punching power in today’s MMA

• Kamakosmo says:

Sadly for him, the paychecks are only going to get smaller and smaller…especially if he keeps up the losing streak. I’ve always liked this guy, but there comes a time when your body say’s enough is enough, and it means it. That is probably the hardest conclusion any Athlete will have to make. And to single out fighters, especially mid-range fighters, who don’t have the nest-egg to fall back on like most other proffessional athletes do. He is going to continue for the sole purpose of a paycheck….and that can be dangerous.
    He is an excellent commentator, and if he could somehow slip into one of those gigs (very limited club, I know) that would be awesome.
    I wish him luck though.

I wouldn’t want to see him in the Bellator Tourney cause that’s not really what it’s about… but I would like to see him square off during the season to keep the champ busy while awaiting the next #1 contender from the tourney…
    In SF he would have at least 3 match ups available but the fights would be only beneficial to him so it’s kinda pointless for them to really offer him a contract…especially if they want to shake the stigma of picking up UFC cast offs…
    His best bet for decent checks is head line small regional shows and demand a decent salary and a % of the gate for headlining… plus he can get some W’s and maybe get his swagger back a bit.
    Either way best of luck to Jens… he’s a warrior and we def. haven’t seen the last of him.

• Makington says:

I can’t watch his fights anymore. I’m tired of him always giving one of those retirement speeches and getting choked up about him for like the 100th time.

I personally love him as a commentator. And that way he doesn’t have to make the crowd cry again.

• Guthookd says:

Season III Belator LW tournament here comes Jens!!!!

• cocoonofhorror says:

some of you still want him to fight? are you insane, he is DONE.

• nothing_shank says:

Ill miss jens on the big-time circuits. He’s the ONLY milletich fighter I’ve ever been a fan of. I’d like to see him jump-ship, and replace frank shamrock as the insight-commentator. He’s just as knowledgeable, and doesn’t have that whiny schoolgirl voice. He’d be just as good of an addition for showtime as antonio tarver was when he jumped on with shobox. Forget his stint in WEC…jens is my most fondly memorable lightweight ever. Best of luck Lil’ Evil!

• MCM says:

I agree with everyone else about his commentating, and I love the idea of him replacing Shamrock. I also think he’s done as a fighter. Jens is a great guy and I’d hate to see him go the Ken Shamrock route. He wasn’t a bad coach on TUF so why not try to open a gym (not one in his house), or get in on an already established gym. I’m sure there are a ton of guys that would love to train striking with him.
    Anyway he goes though, I wish him the best of luck.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Jens-we love you-whatever you choose to do-I -for one support you-as a fan-one hundred percent

• Rich S. says:

Man, I thought Cub was going to sub him in his WEC debut.. I had such high hopes but I just knew he had no chance.. Sure enough, he totally shocked me and gave me hope that he was back.. And then time after time after time I was crushed after his losses.. Until, it got to the point where he could hardly make it out of the first minute of any of his fights.. Then it just got kind of sad..

I think it’s a shame that he doesn’t have an answer for any of these guys, even the up-and-comers, because he still seems like he could go somewhere in this sport..

• stone says:

Gonna miss ya Jens! It’s hard to say good bye to yesterday’s fighters! But when its time to hang’em up, hang’em up!

• hindsightufuk says:

i dont think he’s done at all, i think he’s far from being a contender ever again, but he isnt done.
    his last 5 fights have been a decision loss to Urijah Faber (no embarresment there), three submissions of which he has always been suseptable to, two of those i remember came from careless mistakes (still throwing kicks when your previous kick was caught and you got taken down), plus a body shot tko from Leonard Garcia. Its not like he’s getting knocked out every time he steps into the ring.
    I’d love to see him fight at 155 Yves Edwards or Din Thomas or Josh Neer or at 145 Hellboy, Fabiano, Rumina etc. There are options