Could Jose Aldo become a 3-division champion?

A 23 years of age, it’s likely that WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may not reach his physical or fighting prime for another seven to eight years. This is a terrifying prospect to those that choose to collect their paychecks competing in MMA’s lighter divisions.

Already established as one of the most fearsome strikers in the sport with a reputation of possessing an even more lethal submission game, Aldo currently seems to be champion without peers in the WEC’s featherweight bracket, having recently dominated the division’s former champions – Urijah Faber and Mike Brown – in one-sided muggings.

With just a single title defense to his resume at this point in the game, there’s no doubt that talk of complete weight class domination could be extremely early in reference to Aldo. However, while “phenom” is a word thrown around loosely in this sport, Jose Aldo seems to be one fighter that absolutely fits the bill.

Could a move to lightweight or even featherweight be on the horizon in the near future for Aldo? According to the Brazilian-based fighter, he’s in no rush, but he’s not ruling anything out either.

“Yes, it’s possible that I can to a lighter or a heavier division, but I sure want to do some belt defenses first,” said Aldo in a recent conversation with Tatame.com. “I want to build a solid career on the featherweight division. But, in the future, I may take a risk and change divisions.”

If there was one fighter in the sport that has the ability to become a champion in three separate weight classes, it may very well be Aldo in the WEC.

With out a doubt he is one of the most talented guys out there right now… BUT we gotta see more of him before we crown him. You can wipe out a division then get knocked off your throne when you least expect it… ask BJ.

• bigbadjohn says:

Itd be great to see him at 155. He and BJ locking horns would bring out the best of both fighters. And if I know one thing, its that a dedicated BJ Penn is a scary thing. If it ever came to fruition it would probably be the most likely match at 155 to result in a KO

• Guthookd says:

Never.

Just watch. He’ll get his.

• bigbadjohn says:

yes, Guthookd is being the most realistic

• MickeyC says:

Alot of people have made this statement in recent past. Anderson is about the only person who has been repeatally succsessful in multi- weight classes. Not to mention Anderson cleaned out his division. Aldo will see a few tough guys before I would consider his cleaned out. Dont get me wrong it could happen but it is unlikely.

• nothing_shank says:

I believe they meant to say “even bantamweight”. If he could drop down, I think cruz and bowles would have the worst nights of their respective careers. As for BJ, well…depends on what BJ shows up. Lackluster penn we saw recently might get mauled. Old BJ would probably get a close W, until this beast gets some more experience behind him. Just my thoughts.

• Lethal Liquid says:

Are they saying holdoing the belt at 3 weight classes at the same time? If so that’s highly unlikely physically let alone the fighting aspect. 2 division champ is actually going to happen. He’s a stud supreme no doubt but 3 titles at once is virtually impossible

• AR15 says:

I dont know guys…he’s pretty mature for a 23 yr old, he’s humble, great work ethic. If the shine of the spot light doesnt swell his head & he doesnt start acting like a BJ Penn in his early 20’s, I think that a 3 div. title holder is possible(highly unlikely, but possible) but I think he knows that talent only gets you so far. Besides he said it himself that he’s not in a rush to try and hold multiple belts. He wants to defend the title he has now for a lil while, then re-evaluate things when the time comes.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Yes he could-but he won’t-the real competition for him is at lightweight-and I don’t mean the UFC either-Ben Henderson has a very good chance of defeating Aldo-make it happen WEC

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Surprised more people aren’t posting on this subject-Once again-Aldo is fighting in a much faster weaker(no punching power) division-I personally think Tyson Griffin would manhandle him- Ben Henderson would be a much more competitive match and second pay-per-view offering