Baker vs. Shlemenko, Warren vs. Pitbull set for June 24 in Louisville, Kentucky

CHICAGO, Ill. (June 1, 2010) — Bellator Fighting Championships announced today that it will bring the much-anticipated finale of its highly successful second season to the Fourth Street Live entertainment district in downtown Louisville, Ky., on June 24th.

The event—which will be broadcast LIVE on FOX Sports Net and during weekend highlight shows on NBC, Telemundo and mun2—marks the first time ever that a major national mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion has staged an event in the Bluegrass State.

It will also mark the first time that a live sporting event will be held at Fourth Street Live, a state-of-the-art, open-air, mixed-use entertainment venue owned and managed by The Cordish Company.

Tickets are on sale now at Ticketsweb.com.

“If you’ve ever been to Fourth Street Live, I think you can envision what a spectacular and exciting event this is going to be,” said Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “We are extremely proud to be partnering with The Cordish Company to bring the Bellator brand of MMA to Louisville and the hundreds of thousands of MMA fans in the Greater Louisville area.”

The evening will feature two championship fights in Bellator’s ongoing Season 2 Middleweight and Featherweight Tournaments.

In the first fight, world champion Greco-Roman wrestler and former NCAA all-American Joe Warren (4-1) will face undefeated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black-belt Patricio Pitbull (14-0) in the Featherweight Tournament Finals. The winner will earn the title of No. 1 Contender to reigning Bellator Featherweight Champion Joe Soto (9-0) and the chance to face Soto in a title fight later this year.

Then, in the Middleweight Tournament Finals, 13-1 WEC veteran Bryan “The Beast” Baker looks to continue his seven-fight winning streak when he squares off with Russian striker Alexander “Storm” Shlemenko (29-4). The winner will earn the title of No. 1 Contender to reigning Bellator Middleweight Champion Hector Lombard (25-2-1) and the chance to face Lombard in a title fight later this year.

In the spirit of Rocky Balboa, the Louisville card will also include six “Local Feature Fights” showcasing top up-and-coming fighters from Louisville, Cincinnati and Southern Indiana with selected winners qualifying to compete at future Bellator events. Competitors will be announced over the coming weeks.

This is the final event in Bellator’s 12-week-long second season. Season 3 kicks off on Aug. 12 in Hollywood, Fla.

Bellator has also held highly successful Season 2 events in Miami, Chicago, Kansas City, Boston, Dallas and San Antonio this year.

For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA or on Facebook at Facebook.com/Bellator.

This has been great so far- I hope there is less down time between seasons going forward. I know its hard with the tourney format but it’s not impossible.

• Genesis says:

Sad to see Hess lose the way he did but I was rooting for schlemenko. Baker is going to tear through him however.
    I am highly impressed with the caliber of Bellator’s fights.

• Guthookd says:

Agreed….Baker is going to Gn’P Schlemenko out. Schlemenko is just too small to be a middle weight. He could probably make LW without too much trouble.

Good finals though. I hope Pitbull can take warren. It’s going to come down to wrestling vs. BJJ. I love wrestling, but Warren is just plain boring to watch, IMO.

Hey Rece, August isn’t that bad. It’s already June 1st today. 2 months man. There used to be 2-3 months between every UFC event just a couple years ago. I do understand your craving though…LOL >FREE MMA<

• Guthookd says:

What about the LW trouney? I wan’t to see Eddie fight again.

• ecassity says:

The lightweight tournament finals will take place June 10 at Bellator 21. Pat Curran vs Toby Imada. One of those two will face Eddie Alvarez later this year. I think Eddie pretty much steamrolls right through them, but hey, the lightweight tourney this year was an exciting one.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I have Baker by exciting wrestling/gnp and Pitbull by eventual bionic submission

• Jstew3785 says:

Pitbull by UD. I am really pulling for Shlemenko but I think Baker is the more well rounded fighter. I don’t think he’ll finish Shlemenko but should pull off the victory.

• hindsightufuk says:

i hate to call fights but i’ll take Shlemenko over Baker, late ko/tko, same kinda knee he pulled off on Jared.

I hope Bellator can pull together a few names for their next tournements, they arent far off and not many names as yet. hopefully some decent fighters will take part, take a chance in losing against a lesser name, much like Huerta did this year

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Bellator is the most exciting free MMA on TV-believe me-They are making houshold names each and every show-Just look at Shlemenko’s record-Hornbuckle?-Alvarez?-Lombard?