Rampage admits ring rust played a part in defeat to Evans

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has admitted his decision to accept a starring role in the new A-team movie, which kept him on the octagon sidelines for almost fifteen months, played a part in his poor performance against Rashad Evans at UFC 114.

“I kept trying to block out all the people talking about ring rust,” Jackson told ESPN.com. “I knew it was going to be a factor, but I kept trying to block it out. But tonight I felt it, I felt it bad. I’m a little ashamed of myself that I fell victim to ring rust.”

A visibly hesitant Rampage was out-hustled every step of the way by Evans who utilized his superior speed, clinch work and Greg Jackson-tailored game plan to capture the unanimous decision victory.

The defeat comes on the back of reports that the former UFC and Pride light heavyweight champion checked into his UFC 114 training camp weighing 250-pounds.

Jackson is now due to leave Las Vegas to embark on the A-Team press tour.

• bigbadjohn says:

What a surprise. God, I hate to hear fighters say theyve trained harder than they ever have to date then drop an excuse like this after theyre completely exposed. Like I said though, no surprise with Rampage here. Hes the king of excuses. But atleast he wasnt poisoned this time…

• Rich S. says:

I’m sure ring rust did play a part, but, the only thing that would keep Rashad from beating him 100 more times is his chin. The fact of the matter is, Rampage is a different fighter than he used to be.

If he can get back in the gym, and really put some thought in to how he can secure a win EVERY TIME OUT, then I’m sure he’ll make another run for the title.

Does anybody remember that time he practically outgrappled Hendo for 5 rounds? Now, he seems like a one dimensional boxer.

Just get back to honing ALL of your skills, and you’ll be a serious threat again.

• MCM says:

Wampage always seams to have some kinda of excuse. Why not just admit that Rashad was the better fighter that night?… Oh right, cause that would be like admitting you got schooled by Forest Griffen too. I’m sorry, but if the entire MMA community is saying there’s gonna be ring rust, perhaps you should listen.

• bigbadjohn says:

5 oz. is a ghost town today. All the Rashad haters which plagued this place the past few days arent here posting like mad anymore… i cant quite put my finger on the reason, hmmmmm

• bigbadjohn says:

oh and I forgot to make a reference to Rampage’s post-Forrest loss monster truck fury. Watch your back, Liam Nieson!

• MCM says:

They’s mad cause…..I told them so. 😉

either that, or it’s Memorial day and they’re out with their families.

• Niv says:

I’ve never been a Rashad hater but I definitely thought Rampage was going to ko him, I was wrong.

Ring rust wasn’t something that I really felt was going to be an issue as the difference bewteen Rashad and Rampage was one less fight in the last two years if I’m correct.

I also know from what I’ve heard Rampage did train at Gibson’s MMA in Port Moody BC a suburb of Vancouver while he was shooting the A-Team there. Hearing he was training still, I felt he wouldn’t be as out of touch with the fight game, so i can’t buy the excuse.

On a side note a buddy was telling me about his cousin who’s a huge Rampage fan, he met Rampage at a party in Vancouver and left hating the guys guts. Moral of the story is I doubt Rashad Evans is a bad guy at all, what I do know is Rampage has some issues.

Either way I expect poor Rashad to have a very bad night against Rua, not hating just saying what I think about anyone going against Shogun.

• bigbadjohn says:

My 2 favorite 205ers so I dont know who to pick. If Coleman could take Shogun down I think Rashad can without a doubt. But its possible Colemans old chin is still better than Rashads haha! Suga looked fast on Saturday night too. real fast. I know Shogun went the distance with Machida but a couple minutes on his back per round and Ill take Rashads cardio over Ruas. So hard to call, dont count Evans out!

• Dufresne says:

I’m a Rashad hater, and I still despise him. Doesn’t mean I didn’t see this coming. Forrest showed an enormous hole in rampage with that 5 round clinic. Stick and move and just stay out of a brawl with him and you’ve got a shot. Stand in the pocket and trade and you’re going to take a shot.
    Still, these excuses are so commonplace now it’s disgusting. Just suck it up, pull your skirt down, and admit you got beat.

• JOEgun says:

RAMPAGE vs RASHAD 2!!

Shogun will finish Rashad. YOU KNOW THIS!!

• stone says:

If I was Rampage I would just STFU! I love Rampage but damn it shut up! After that lame fight (from the both of ’em) all you should be doin is apologizing to the PPV buyers!

• @ Rampage. You trained harder than you had ever trained in your life, you said… its on Video OnDemand. You said it yourself. Step it up or get out. I love ya Rampage but you gotta fight and kick for well rounded sake and geting a new trainer or crew because you gotta kick to win.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I hate when a fighter makes excuses after a defeat. If there was a handbook for how to be a Bitch that would be at the top of the list. I think Rampage isn’t hungry anymore. At least not hungry enough to compete on the highest level. He’s gone Hollywood. More power to him to be honest.

I just don’t get how is Rampage supposed to fight like he’s hungry when his check for A-team was probably equivalent to participating in 3 fights. If I was him I’d ask for one throw away match (tito ortiz in the fall) go out on a win and just go do movies, fuck it. I love rampage but if you ain’t hungry you ain’t gonna eat.

• know_ledge1983 says:

Here is the bottom line with Rampage…he is a great fighter but has way to much on the schedule! I cant stand Rashad but he is a top fighter in the 205 class and you have to be on top of your game at all times in order to compete with fighters of this caliber. I completely believe that he has ring rust, anyone would.If he would buckle down and focus fighting he would reach new heights. All he fights in the 205 class is the very best, he hasnt even had an easy fight except for the first one.
    Rampage needs a NEW CAMP to sharpen his ground game, grappling, or at least some good kicks.

• mu_shin says:

Rampage stood in the ring on fight night and said to Joe Rogan that Evans was the better man that night. He was. On another night, with a couple fights under his belt and perhaps a more demanding training environment, might be a different story, might not.

Always stating one man’s opinion on these blogs, but I was on the edge of my seat the whole fight, thought Rashad did a well rounded fully professional job of beating Quinton Jackson, even risking defeat in the third round of a fight he had won to continue mixing it up, catching a series of blows that could have ended the night for him. Evans showed heart and recovery ability, valuable assets in an MMA fighter’s arsenal, while Rampage showed what a fifteen month layoff does to fighting reflexes and the millisecond instincts that have to come in to play to beat a skilled fighter like Rashad.

The Rampage story may have further chapters, but Quinton will have to re-commit to being a champion-quality fighter. Rashad will face his toughest opponent ever in the man who crushed Lyoto Machida, who we all saw take Rashad’s LHW belt in devatstating fashion. Shogun will test Evans in every regard, and I wish them both good combat in the forthcoming contest.

• KTru says:

I thought Rampage was classy in defeat. So what if he used excuses, if he didn’t, then it would show he doesn’t care. And I’m the farthest thing from a Rampage fan.

• ctown says:

Did anyone actually watch the post fight interview with Rampage. He didn’t make excuses. He was asked by a reporter if he felt ring rust had an affect and he answered the question honestly. He even conceded the point that Rashad “probably” would of beat him even if he had trained more wrestling and trained more in general instead of doing the movie. What happened to Rashad knocking rampage out and giving him a snookie? He talked a lot of sh*t pre-fight and grinded out a unanimous decision.

• bigbadjohn says:

And Rampage talked twice the shit about KOing Rashad and he couldnt win a round

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

horrible fight aside-I guess Fedor is one helluva ring rust fighter-let’s cut the crap-playing it safe under the unified rules seems to be all the rage-if this current weather pattern persists it will be a huge blow to modern day MMA

• elkymbo says:

Yeah gotta admit I’m not a big fan of the “Greg Jackson tactics”. As effective as they may be it doesn’t make for interesting fighting.