UFC 114 Bonuses Announced

Even though Jason Brilz dropped a controversial and disappointing decision to opponent Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 114 it appears the Nebraskan will not be walking away from the evening empty handed. In addition to gaining the respect of anyone who saw his star-elevating performance, Brilz was also announced as one of four fighters receiving a $65,000 bonus check for their performance at the event. In particular, his three round battle with “Little Nog” was awarded the card’s “Fight of the Night”.

Also fattening their bank accounts on the heels of UFC 114 were Ryan Jensen and Mike Russow. Russow’s shocking comeback against heavyweight prospect Todd Duffee was named “Knockout of the Night”, while Jensen’s first-round guillotine choke of Jesse Forbes was the show’s lone tap-out based result and therefore put him in the fortunate position of being the only contender for “Submission of the Night”.

All three event distinctions were released at the post-event press conference and later reported by MMAJunkie.

• elkymbo says:

Knockout of the night? What a joke that was. I can’t believe that this fight was even on the main card. A non experienced goliath who gassed in the first round vs the michelin man? It was almost laughable when Russow tapped him on the chin and he went out. I can’t see Duffee amounting to much if he loses in that fashion.
    Shame really he showed a lot of promise.

• gy614x says:

Shame really he showed a lot of promise.

well i think he’ll be back, Duffee is a beast, hes only 24 also, remember, it only take 1 punch haha, just happens that Mr.Muffin top found it. Weird fight overall, who knows, Duffee may be holding the heavyweight strap in a few years. i think he still has promise

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

If Brilz wouldn’t have let Little Nog have that little bit of wiggle room he got when he thought ref was coming to stop it he would have gotten sub of the night.

Watch the replay. Nog was fighting to get free but, had his hand cocked back and when he brought his hand back like he was thinking about tapping or so it appeared ref moved in a bit closer to make sure he was on top, Brilz seemed to let up ever so slightly (he even said as much post fight) and Nog wiggled a little which gave him some room which he eventually used to get free.

Brilz gave Nog everything he could handle and more. I had Brilz winning all 3 rounds. I see no way unless judges gave Nog two rounds unless they consider barely escaping submissions and being taken down over and over scoring.

I think Nog won on rep alone IMO. Same reason several people declined to fight him in first place.

Evans v Rampage was OK not horrible. Would like to see a rematch. Don’t think Evans gets past Shogun with his little dancing. Feel he gets punched in the face in middle of his dancing.

• I would seriously LOL if Shogun landed a clean shot on the button while Rashad is dancing. As for Duffee, let’s face it…he was overhyped. That’s sort of what happens when you get the alleged fastest KO in UFC history. You get a load of hype your way. The kid is a beast and has time on his side, but he’s not ready for the major leagues yet. I did find the follow up hammer fist by Russow funny though. There was nothing behind it and the look on his face while he did it…priceless.

• redwire says:

I was pretty surprised to see Nog get the ‘nod’, but we all know the drill: blah, blah, blah, judges hands, blah, blah, blah. It will be really interesting to see who Brilz gets next, and how he does. He seems like a pretty cool guy, and was very gracious in the post-fight.

I also LOL’ed at he Russow hammerfist! It’s like Rogan said – nobody was more surprised than Russow that he knocked Duffee out. I think Russow thought that Duffee had slipped or something, and he wanted to get down there to take advantage of the situation. I don’t think he had an inkling that there was a knockout until he was starting to throw the fist. Pretty classic, really.

It always makes me cringe when I see my yearly salary is some ones bonus for one nights work… Don’t get me wrong the fighters deserve the bonus, but when I relate it to my reality it makes me think how much that amount of money means to average joes. DW & Zuffa should give a bonus to fan of the night & have like a text or call contest during the PPV answering a trivia question in regards to UFC, just a thought…

• Guthookd says:

I….I also LOL’ed at he Russow hammerfist! It’s like Rogan said – nobody was more surprised than Russow that he knocked Duffee out. I think Russow thought that Duffee had slipped or something, and he wanted to get down there to take advantage of the situation. I don’t think he had an inkling that there was a knockout until he was starting to throw the fist……. .  (Quote)

Yep. That was classic alright. Good stuff. He gets the award for most humane post KO swat.