Rashad defeats Rampage, Russow scores dramatic knockout of Duffee at UFC 114

More than a year in the making, Quinton “Rampage Jackson and “Sugar “Rashad Evans finally had the chance to settle the score between one another in one of the most highly anticipated grudge matches in UFC history at UFC 114.

Once the dust had a chance to settle following three action packed rounds between the bitter rivals it was Evans who was declared the victor via decisive unanimous decision. Rashad picked up the temporary right to all of the bragging rights between the pair utilizing advantages in the wrestling and speed department while surviving some dangerous moments.

In what could be easily be described as one of the greatest come-from-behind victories in the history of the sport, Mike Russow survived a mugging from Todd Duffee that lasted more than two rounds to deliver one of the most dramatic finishes in recent memory. A huge right hand from Russow found it’s mark on Duffee’s chin midway through the third round after being dominated for the bulk of the contest, sending the massive heavyweight toppling backwards to the canvas unconscious.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira was given a present from two of the three judges overseeing his light-heavyweight showdown with Jason Brilz via mutual scores of 29-28, which ultimately tipped the scales in the favor of the Brazilian via split decision, although it was apparent to most in attendance and watching at home that Brilz controlled the majority of the bout handily utilizing crisp striking on the feet and powerful takedowns.

John Hathaway left UFC 114 still undefeated after picking up the most impressive victory of his career via a one-sided unanimous decision victory over Diego Sanchez in the former lightweight tilte challenger’s move back up to welterweight.

A full list of results from UFC 114 are below:

Ryan Jensen def. Jesse Forbes via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1

Aaron Riley def. Joe Brammer via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Cyrille Diabate def. Luiz Cane via TKO – Round 1

Melvin Guillard def. Waylon Lowe via TKO – Round 1

Efrain Escudero def. Dan Lauzon via unanimous decision ( 29-27, 29-27, 29-27)

Dong Hyun Kim def. Amir Sadollah via unanimous decision ( 30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

John Hathaway def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Jason Brilz via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)

Mike Russow def. Todd Duffee via knockout – Round 3

Michael Bisping def. Dan Miller via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)

Rashad Evans def. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)

• rage says:

Some good fights 2 standouts for me john hathaway finaly people will know who this dude is,he is 100% legit also the snake looked good his striking was outstanding

• Lethal Liquid says:

Speed kills. So does technique. Rampage had one option unfortunately Rashad negated that with a gameplan. Also known as an idea of what to do when plan A goes wrong. Rashad had more options and I won my bet.

• LiverPunch says:

So when I said Rashad, Nog, Russow, Bisping and Sanchez would win. Was it that I said Sanchez would win or was it that I said Russow via sub that got me 14 thumbs down and my comment removed? Just curious.
    Surprised Dong beat Suddolah though and Russow has to work on his takedowns. He wont get so lucky next time. Oh and I was impressed by Guillard too. He looked very dangerous. Kinda sounded a little silly when he said ” I’m ready for a title shot” and then followed it up with ” I want to fight Joe Stevenson next”. Considering “Big Daddy” would be well down the pecking order now. As for Rashad vs Rampage, the fight went exactly as I thought it would. Rashad would use his wrestling to avoid Rampages power punching and get the points dec. I still believe Rampage did the most damage though and I wonder who would have won in the old Pride way of scoring the fight as a whole rather than rd by rd.
    A very enjoyable show and I’m looking forward to the next one.

• bigbadjohn says:

Rashad ‘survived’ hahahahaha. I guess thewriter is referring to Rashads slip and Rampages 8 missed punches. Lets not beat around the bush, even on the feet Suga looked better. Page was outclassed, dont deny

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Man I suck at predictions.
    Good nights for Hathaway,Russow,and even Brilz in a loss.
    Looking forward to seeing these fighters again.
    The UFC should adopt a style more like Pride when it comes to post fight in ring interviews.
    I like Rogan’s play by play commentary,but I hate hearing his opinions during the limited time that should be awarded to the dudes who just busted their asses in the Octagon.
    Instead of,”Wow that guilltine attempt was sick,blah,blah,blah walk us thru this as we watch the Mickey’s replay,blah,blah,blah…what was going thru yer mind,etc…
    That stuff will be asked a million times after the fight during post fight pressers.etc.
    During the in ring interviews I feel he should just STFU and hand the mic off to the fighters and let them speak about whatever’s on their minds,win or lose.

• Rich S. says:

-Efrain Escudero via Unanimous Decision
    -Dong Hyun Kim via Unanimous Decision
    -Diego Sanchez via Split Decision
    -Todd Duffee via TKO r1
    -Rogerio Nogueira via TKO r2
    -Michael Bisping via Unanimous Decision
    -Rashad Evans via Unanimous Decision

Ah, for once my picks come out looking accurate.
    Given the Russow miracle and the surprise Brilz performance, I’d say I did pretty good.
    I knew Diego’s over aggressive/very stupid style was going to give him problems, but I didn’t think it was going to get him beat up.. Just missed that one by an inch..

• AR15 says:

Wow! I thought for sure that Rashad was gonna be able to finish Rampage. Props to Rampage for steppin up his cardio. As always Rashad comes in w/ a good game plan & executes it perfectly(w/ the exception of the 3rd rd.)
    Enjoy the extra $65,000 Russow…ur chin earned it!
    Brilz got robbed!!! Gotta wonder how much the name “Nogueira” played in the decision of the judges.
    HOLY Hathaway!! Cant wait to see who Joe Silva matches him up against next!!!
    Guillard looked great, gotta give him that. However, maybe he ought to take out a top 10 contender or two before the words “Title Shot” start shooting out your mouth. & Im confused…Melvin said I wanna fight Jeremy Stevenson…who’s that??? Does he mean Jeremy Stephens? Cause that would be a sick matchup!! Or does he mean Joe Stevenson?? Cause last I heard, he was training w/ Joe Daddy down in New Mexico. Which would make that matchup exciting as well.
    All in all, a entertaining card overall.

• stone says:

@ Dr.Stoppage… Awesome Rogan ball bustin! I feel the same way but I really don’t know a better commentator!.. Guess “it is what it is!” Anyways I said from the get go, Rashad by dec.or rampage by KO! Of course RE came with a “gregjack game plan” it was an overall boring fight, same with the rest if the card! I’m just glad I didn’t spend my 60 bucks! RASHAD DOES NOT DESERVE A TITLE SHOT! He just didn’t win convincingly enough! IMO! I just wish Rampage woulda KO’d him in the 3rd!

• hindsightufuk says:

i really like Joe Rogan but i get sick of him trying to force his opinion on everyone when he doesnt agree with a decision. The Nog/Brillz fight could have gone either way, thats why it’s called a split decision. I dont wanna see Joe Rogan storming into the cage telling the winner he shouldnt have won.
    Still amazed Nog couldnt pull off one of the chokes
    And what was that shit about the greatest one punch come from behind victory in the HISTORY of MMA? for real? they are couple of nobodies, neither guy would even be top 30 in the world. Maybe Todd Duffee can have his nut sack back now.
    Awesome performance by Cyrille, his striking was incredibly accurate, i really didnt expect him to pull that one off. Bisping (much as i think he’s a cunt) looked pretty good, best use of the lead jab i seen for a while, he could have thrown just that all night and still won, his boxing looked real nice.
    Entertaining night over all.

• ssundell says:

Rampage getting tagged in the first round gave Rashad the advantage for the rest of the fight.

But what is it with referee interrupting the fight all the time? When Rashad and Rampage got into clinch, fight was stopped almost immediately and they went back t the middle of the cage. Apparently battling against the cage doesn’t appeal to blood-craving audience.

Same could also be seen in the latest Strikeforce – I think it was in Villasenor-Souza fight where referee actually stopped them while Souza was throwing knees.

• Spoken says:

Im gonna go ahead and play a little devils advocate here and provide some defense for Nog, and Rampage real quick.
    First off, though Nog got taken down repeatedly, he managed to use vastly superior ground control in his hip escapes and the increasingly rare and difficult sweeps. Toss in a few submission attempts and you’ve got yourself justification for the split decision.
    Part 2: Though I have no true justification for saying Rampage should have won, I will say that Rampage stuffing takedown after takedown through the second round and damn near finishing the fight in the third makes me think about what judges are actually looking for. Rashad was out, he admitted it. Combine that with some seriously successful defense by Rampage and Rashads unwillingnes to press the action standing up and I miss Pride that much more now. Sure Rashad fought a SMART fight, but I side with the aggressor in this case.
    Many may disagree, and thats cool, but theres my 2 cents.

• Lethal Liquid says:

Rashad vs Rampage fight was a good fight. Just because 2 guys don’t stand in front of each other slug it out doesn’t mean a fight isn’t compelling. This isn’t Rocky after all. Besides that’s dumbest possible way to go about a fighting career. Enough of the soap box.

I for one think Joe Rogan is great. Can he be a little over the top sure but on the whole he’s knowledgeable and doesn’t mine call somebody on their bullshit.

• Hitman Hartnell says:

I didnt get to see the nog fight so i cant really say for sure, but i do like it when judges give the nod to a guy that spent a good portion of the fight on his back. as long as the bottom guy is working for subs and defending well, i think more decisions like that would keep guys from constantly looking for takedowns and doing nothing with top position (lawal vs mousasi)

• stone says:

Spoken… Ur the man! I can’t believe people are really sayin this card was good, the only reason we’re even bloggin about the evans vs jackson fight is because it was the main event, and TUF coach rivalry and a “Title shot grand prize win” Take away that, n it would have been like that lack luster bisping fight (not even worth a descussion)!!! C’mon 5oz. people, does Evans really deserve a shot at the belt! He BS’d his way n almost got KO’d by Silva n Rampage! Don’t mind some clinch game but GEEZ! He doesn’t even do any damage! At least when Randy or R.Franklin work the clinch, the foe comes out a lumpy mess… Rampage n Thiago looked like they could have fought the next day! I’de rather see Machida vs Shogun 3 until they find a real contender!

• Spoken says:

i wouldnt go as far as to say it was a bad card, but thanks stone. rashad was underwhelming and the bisping fight was dull, but hathaway was very impressive and the lil nog fight was exciting as all hell. to me, theres little more exciting than seeing such effective and fundamental jiu jitsu technique. so artistic. guillards knee to the body was spectacular and russows muffin-top was mezmerizing. essentially, everything except the headliners were enjoyable. seems to be a running trend, eh?

• Angry Mike says:

Anybody surprised by Rasad’s decision wasn’t paying attention to the facts. Rampage has explosive power, but a too tier athlete like Rashad can adapt and plan for it. Rampage’s best fights were when Jaunito was his trainer. Rampage needs to find a better trainer

• BigDave says:

called all but one. boring card but atleast rashad won over rampage.

• Niv says:

Well I was right on most of my predictions, I really expected Russow to be more dominant against Duffee but nice ko finish, unfortunately I was wrong about Rampage as I really thought he was going to ko Rashad.

The fight itself was a huge let down but that’s how it goes we can hype fights through the roof, on paper they look great, but they don’t always deliver on the goods. Rashad did what he needed to do and that was about it.

We saw a very similar thing two cards ago on SF, great fights on paper just didn’t come to fruition fight time.

I wish Rashad lots of luck, I think he’ll need it against Shogun.

• cocoonofhorror says:

I thought Nog was handed a gift.
    Hathaway is a legit badass who would spot Pissbing 15 pounds then beat the brakes off him.
    I picked Russow too, but was feeling pretty stupid up until the KO. Duffee’s hands looked outstanding, hugely improved. his chin and gas tank are the new questions about him.
    No surprise on the Rashad/Page fight. Page looked slow and rusty till the 3rd. if he would have just concentrated on landing those shots on the ground after the knockdown in the 3rd instead of winding up so much he could have finished.

• elkymbo says:

How about Bas Rutten and Michael Schiavello?

• Ay-Ron says:

After following MMA for many years i must say that the Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Jason Brilz decision was by far the worst I have ever seen. Judges will score the fight based on effective striking (Jason Brilz ), Aggression (Jason Brilz), and octagon control (Jason Brilz ). Antonio spent the first round on his back or taking strikes. Spent the second round being choked and running he was out on his feat as the bell rang. And won the third round by out lasting Brilz. I guess that if you have a big name and are fighting a new fighter you will awarded all desions. On the matter of Rampage vs. Evans there is no one to blame but Dana White. Every time there is a big exciting fight in the works he offers the winner a title shot. Every time the fights are boring with the winners doing the Lay and Pary, Koscheck or the Rashad why take a chance losing by giving an exciting fight when i can win by ducking and weaving and a couple take downs. Offer title shots after the fights give the fans what they pay to see. But overall another great Card.

• know_ledge1983 says:

John Hathaway looked great, lil nog got lucky, Rashad looked good but i wish Rampage would have won, I just cant stand Rashad’s show boating, and Todd Duffee has a lot to learn about keeping his hands up till the end and never counting an opponent out, it’s the UFC, anything can happen. Truly a night for the underdogs but i liked the card

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Let’s see-lil Nog lost-Hathaway impressed-Russow endured-Rashad got lucky-Amir got exposed-Efrain gained no new fans-Bisping should have gained new fans but won’t-end of sentence