Diaz dominates Sakurai, Ralek becomes first Gracie to defeat Sakuraba at DREAM.14

Hate him, love him, or love to hate him; Nick Diaz is without a doubt one of the most talented fighters currently competing in mixed martial arts, period.

Diaz further solidified the belief that he is among the most ferocious competitors in the sport during DREAM.14 where the Stockton bad boy reeled off his seventh consecutive dominating victory with a first round armbar submission over the highly respected Japanese veteran, Hayato “Mach Sakurai”.

The 24-year-old Ralek Gracie became the first of the legendary family name to pull off a victory over Kazushi “The Gracie Hunter” Sakuraba with an impressive unanimous decision.

Joachim “Hellboy” Hansen has seen better days coming off of a third straight defeat at the hands of Hiroyuki Takaya. Both fighters came into the bout on two-fight losing skids, but it was Takaya who was able to jump back on track with an electrifying series of hard right hands in the first round that left Hansen in a heap.

Also in action in Saitama, Japan was Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto, who returned to the winner’s circle following back-to-back defeats with a first round knockout over an obviously outmatched Federico “Kiko” Lopez, and Ikuhisa “Minowa-Man” Minowa managed to come out on top of yet another freak show match-up against the 330 lb. Imani Lee via first round rear-naked choke.

A full set of results from the event are below:

Nick Diaz def. Hayato “Mach” Sakurai via submission (armbar) – Round 1

Ralek Gracie def. Kazushi Sakuraba via unanimous decision

Hiroyuki Takaya def. Joachim Hansen via knockout – Round 1

Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto def. Federico “Kiko” Lopez via knockout – Round 1

Akiyo Nishiura def. Hideo Tokoro via TKO – Round 1

Kazuyuki Miyata def. Takafumi Otsuka via split decision

Kenji Osawa def. Yoshiro Maeda via split decision

Ikuhisa Minowa def. Imani Lee via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1

• Dufresne says:

I’m probably gonna get thumbs downed for this, but the Diaz brothers are both in my top 10 favorite fighters to watch. I know their standup isn’t anywhere near conventional, and a lot of folks think it’s garbage, but dammit, it works. Add that in with their aggressive bjj and their willingness to fight anyone, anywhere, even at the end of a match or in a hospital and you have my 2 favorite “villians” of MMA.

• LiverPunch says:

Diaz is a very very good fighter. I like for this reason and because he sticks to his guns. I am not so stupid as to think my (or your) values should be forced on anybody. He does what he wants to, and as long as he is not hurting anybody, he is OK by me.

• aumgn says:

Are we forgetting Sakuraba’s horrendous loss to Royce Gracie at K-1 Dynamite USA?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I recently watched a program about an extreme Triathalon where it focused on certain competitors.I don’t normally give a crap and as I was about to change the channel,they showed Nick Diaz competing.
    Each time they showed Nick busting his ass they would make fight references like,”although he kicks ass in a cage,he’s never fought anyone like Mother Nature before”.They show him wiping out a couple times, and recovering etc.
    Regardless of how he is perceived in a cage or ring, he is just one awesome man in real life.

• Don’t believe all the hype and drama about the Diaz brothers out there. They’re good people, and even better fighters. It was good to see Kid get the KO. He needed that big time, but he is far from “back”. Hansen dropping down to FW was a terrible idea. He looked awful against Takaya. I’m not saying weight cutting for him is especially hard, but…he should just fight at a more natural weight. Finally, the ref really messed up in the Saku fight. WTF?! I’m not saying Saku would’ve finished that Kimura, but the ref totally killed the momentum and positioning.

• AR15 says:

as much as it hurts me to say this…i actually agree with you 100%. 1st time for everything i suppose.

• stone says:

Damn it, what channel are these fights on??? The Diaz fight alone would’ve been worth my cake! Nick Diaz is a BEAST! The only way to beat a Diaz Bro. is to hold’em against the cage n hope the judges like it! Their boxing is friggin awesome and their ground game is one badass show to watch! Too bad their UFC fights got watered down with “oCtAgOn CoNtRoL”

• aumgn says:

Seriously… are you holding my comment for moderation because you didn’t look up Sakuraba’s record on the fight finder?

He lost to Royce! Change the headline, please…

• mu_shin says:

Don’t love or hate Nick Diaz, just appreciate him as an innovative committed fighter. Couldn’t care less how articulate he is or isn’t, what substances he consumes, or what organization he fights for. I’ll continue to watch him, and laud his efforts in the ring and in the cage.

• Hohlraum says:

@stone. HDNet (you have to have an HD package through sat or cable that includes it).

I really didn’t think Sakuraba lost that fight. Ralek was in actual trouble more than Sakuraba was in that fight. Having sometimes back is not a submission attempt. It’s a dominant position. Saku had Ralek in several sub attempts. If the Gracie family considers that a ‘win’ they are high.

• KTru says:

Royce was the first Gracie to beat Sakuraba. In the rematch that is. Same card as Lesnars debut and Johnny Morton getting KTFO.