Forrest Griffin out 12 weeks with shoulder surgery

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin had to drop out of his fight against Antonio Rogerio Nogueria due to a shoulder problem. While many hoped that Griffin’s injury was short time, the Las Vegas Times reports that Griffin will in fact need surgery after all.

“He saw a specialist in Los Angeles and had it worked on,” said Griffin’s trainer, Jimmy Gifford. “It was minor surgery, nothing crazy. He’ll start physical therapy in six weeks and be on the shelf for 12 weeks.

“We’re not sure on a return, but October would be a good guess. Maybe late September.”

The former champion is coming off of a victory over Tito Ortiz at UFC 106, and many wonder who Griffin could fight in his return. Some say Jon Jones if he wins his upcoming fight, while some are talking up a possible fight against the winner of the upcoming Chuck Liddell vs. Rich Franklin fight.

Stay tuned….

• danw84 says:

Sucks how infrequently Forrest gets to fight, he’s by far my favorite.

• Niv says:

Forrest is nowhere near my favourite, nor is he a great fighter, but he is impossible to dislike.

He’s a very exciting fighter who gives it his all, and has that quirky personality that endears him to so many fight fans.

I wish him well and hope to see him back in action soon.

• bigbadjohn says:

Dana would be cruel to set Forrest up with Bones, or another Black House fighter. I hope he gets exciting evenly matched fights from here out because he will never be a contender in the UFC again but he has been a big reason why the league is so successful today

• danw84 says:

Well he did beat one of the two guys who is currently in line for a title shot. After that did you say Rampage would never be a contender again?

• bigbadjohn says:

Umm no. But after Rashad i will

I think we will probably see Tito and Forrest go at it again… cause what else are these guys doing next year… Props to both for there past success and being a big part of what MMA has grown to be but there’s just not alot of opportunites for these guys to succeed.

• danw84 says:

Tito and Forrest 4… No thanks.

• danw84 says:

I didn’t know they fought a 3rd time.

That was a typo.

• bigbadjohn says:

The winner of chuck n rich would be okay. Dan, i think your Forrest bias is clouding your outlook… Mr. Griffin is a hero and I dont want to see him be the next Chuck: KO, KO, KO. How about a Rampage rematch, then go from there

• stone says:

Yep Forrest gots some milage on him… I don’t think he’ll ever be a contender again. He’s never really even be a “finisher”… But everyone loves this dude… Give’em the “Bucket List”! rematches w/ all the old foes like Tito & Jardine. Fights with the older heads like Rich & Chuck would be order… I’m probably alone on this one but why not let Shogun get a rematch, after all, the Shogun win is what gave him his Title Shot! Poor Forrest, Shogun would probably retire him.

• danw84 says:

The winner of chuck n rich would be okay. Dan, i think your Forrest bias is clouding your outlook…Mr. Griffin is a hero and I dont want to see him be the next Chuck: KO, KO, KO. How about aRampage rematch, then go from there

No question, I love the guy way too much. But, I’m not entirely unrealistic, I’m aware that it would take a lot for him to be a contender again. I also think he has a lot of unfair criticism though. He got knocked silly by Silva, but he’s also pretty much the only guy to ever bring it to Silva that hard. Was a bad game plan, which was odd coming from a guy who usually has great game plans, but who doesn’t get embarrassed by Silva? I also thought he was looking great against Rashad right up until the end.

So yeah, he got finished in his last 2 losses, incredibly badly in his Silva fight, but he’s still a tough dude, and I don’t think those 2 necessarily mean he’s done.

I wouldn’t mind a Rampage rematch at all, and would say if Rampage loses against Rashad that would be a pretty good way for Rampage and Forrest to go.

• bigbadjohn says:

Agreed. except for the Rashad comment, Forrest JUST got away from a few huge punches and then went 0 for 1 on takedown defense never to get up again.

• Creature says:

Why does everyone always count forrest out? and 2 say hes not great? ha wow, he picked rampage apart and was well on his way of doing the same 2 rashad but he got careless and caught, 2 say he wont be a contender again is dumb, same with rich franklin, i could easily see him be a top contender again as well, and i give huge props 2 bones jones, hes great, but hasnt fought anyone at the caliber of griffin or franklin yet, mileage means nothing on a fighter, look at couture, top 10 right now, forrest is better than ppl think, u will all see, id love 2 see the shogun/forrest 2 im prolly the only 1 who thinks griffin would take that fight, give jones winner of liddel/franklin and see how he handles super KO ability or one of the most well rounded and smartest fighters ever

• elsicilian says:

Forrest has impressive wins over the current champ (Shogun) as well as the probable #1 contender (Rampage) among others … I’m not sure he’d win a rematch with either of them, and it’s certainly possible that his best days are behind him; however, despite the doubts that have always plagued him as the inaugural TUF champion (TV stars can’t be serious fighters!), he has been repeatedly successful at the highest levels of this sport, has proven himself beyond a shadow of a doubt,

Hate on him all you want, but I don’t believe it’s yet time for Dana White and Joe Silva to begin steering him toward a gatekeeper role, or a “special interest” career track (a la Tito, Liddell, Wandy, et. al.). Sure he got caught by Rashad (a top contender himself), and he looked bad against A. Silva (who doesn’t?), but he won his most recent fight and at 30 he’s still a relatively young man.

Honestly, I would be inclined to give him a tune-up fight, then a title shot (if Shogun successfully defends). Forrest is the only guy to have ever beaten Rua decisively in the UFC, and it would be an easy fight to sell!