Junior dos Santos confirms next opponent

It appears the next obstacle Junior dos Santos will need to overcome in order to earn a shot at the UFC heavyweight belt will be a “big” one – literally.

The 25-year old Brazilian took to his Twitter Friday night to confirm he would be facing none other than Ultimate Fighter Season 10 champion Roy Nelson at an upcoming event. Dos Santos is 11-1 with eleven finishing performances and is coming off a first-round knockout win over Gabriel Gonzaga at last March’s “UFC on Versus 1” show. The victory marked five in a row for “Cigano” and continued a streak dating back to November 2007.

Nelson is 7-2 in his last nine bouts with the only losses coming to respected heavyweights Andrei Arlovski and Jeff Monson. The 15-4 Mixed Martial Artist, known as much for his “gut” as his “grappling”, is 2-0 in the UFC with two knockouts in each fight’s opening frame – a TUF 10 title win over Brendan Schaub and a 39-second flooring of Stefan Struve at UFC Fight Night 21.

Though a specific card was not mentioned for the pairing, MMAJunkie recently reported Dos Santos and “Big Country” were rumored to be squaring off at UFC 117 on August 7th in Oakland, California.

• MCM says:

Have we all commented enough on how this is unfair to JDS or should we do it in this article too. 😉

F*k it, I’ll go out on a limb and say Nelson by Armbar in the 2nd.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

My personal opinion is that this is a good way to potentially showcase Dos Santos against an Ultimate Fighter champ (which means something to a number of casual fans) who is undefeated in the Octagon while things with Lesnar/Carwin/Velasquez get sorted out.

• BigDave says:

This will be a good fight for both guys, They are both talented fighters and the winner here gets vaulted up into a top fight possibly even a number 1 contender fight.

I’m gonna go with Mr. CheeseBurger Roy Nelson by split decision.

• Rich S. says:

while things with Lesnar/Carwin/Velasquez get sorted out.

There’s the problem, though. Why is Velasquez in the mix with Lesnar and Carwin? The championship fighters are already set. Velasquez and Dos Santos are the ONLY other guys that are just clearing out the division. Aside from Lesnar and Carwin, no one is performing nearly as well as Cain and Junior are at Heavyweight.. So, why is there a need for “sorting out”? It just seems obvious to me to put Dos Santos in there with Cain, before you further insult both of their abilities..

Seeing how this is just so OBVIOUS a solution, yet it hasn’t happened yet, there must be some reason that those two aren’t meeting each other in the cage.. Maybe they want both of them to get their shot, instead of having to eliminate one another.. But, it just seems like setting them up with more and more guys in the meantime is just as dangerous..

• Makington says:

I personally think Velasquez deserves a title shot twice as much as JDS, but this is an important fight. I’m also not completely sold on JDS yet. Sure, his striking is easily one of the best in the division, but until we see how he handles someone with a ground game I’ll be a little skeptical. If he were to fight Brock, I just don’t see how he could stop the fight from going to the ground.

The way I look at him is still a bit of a question mark. He has beat the worst CroCop anyone’s seen, Gonzaga who my grandma could knock out, and the wayyyy overly hyped Gilbert Yvel. I’m not trying to say he sucks, since I’m sure he has some legit ground skills being Nog’s protege, but until I see him handle a wrestler I won’t be sure about him.

That’s why I like this fight so much right now. his will tell us more about JDS than all of his previous opponents combined. A guy who can push the pace in all areas and is good enough to be a threat at all times with good gameplans is a much harder test than people may think. If Junior can win convincingly than I’ll be totally sold, but until then…

• MCM says:

Makington, JDS has beaten…..

Gabriel Gonzaga (world class BJJ)
    Gilbert Yvel (KO artist, 31 of his 36 wins)
    Mirko Filipovic (KO artist, 20 of his 26 wins)
    Stefan Struve TKO (BJJ black belt, subs in 14 of his 19 wins)
    Fabricio Werdum (easily one of the best BJJ practitioners in the world)

how can you say he’s never faced anyone with a ground game!? He’s KO/TKO’d every fighter he’s faced in the UFC.

The only fighters Cain has faced of the same caliber are Big Nog, Rothwell, and Kongo. It blows me away how ANYbody can think Cain is more deserving of a shot than Junior. Cain should have to fight atleast twice more IMO before he gets a title shot, or at least have to get through Mir before he gets a #1 contenders match.

• Makington says:

Gabe Gonzaga might be a black belt in BJJ, but he doesn’t know that. He’s still trying to reclaim the popularity from his fight with CroCop with another once in a lifetime legendary ko. He has proven himself to have a very glass jaw as well, losing to any respectable fighter by ko. It seems like the UFC brings in a can for him to beat, then he loses against a big name fighter, then can, then loss to big name fighter, etc.

CroCop was a shell of his former self in that fight so I don’t hold it in as much regard as I would have a few years back. What did he attempt, like maybe 1 kick?

If you’re seriously going to try to convince me that Yvel is a serious name on his resume then I don’t know what to say. Yes, he has good, powerful striking, but many of his wins are against no name competition overseas. We know what the competition is like over there. All the best guys he’s fought like Hendo, Belfort, or Fujita all exposed him.

Stefan Struve is a good win. I give him credit for that, but that doesn’t make him a contender. Stefan will be a beast in a few years but he’s not at that elite level yet.

Fat-bricio Werdum came in with the worst gameplan ever. With all the new, behemoth heavyweights coming in he was trying to add bulk to his frame to match them. However, instead of adding muscle all he did was add a bunch of fat. Pretty devastating knockout though, still one of my favourites. His nose was bleeding probably the worst I’ve seen in the UFC.

I just don’t get how someone could say that’s better than what Velasquez has done. He absolutely blasted through lesser competition like Jake O’Brien and Denis Stojnic. Then he blasts through the next step in competition in Rothwell and Kongo, then he moves up t the big leagues against the top guys. He fights arguably one of the best HW’s of all time in Nog. Not only does he beat the legend, he knocks him out, who many un-knockoutable. In each of these showings, he has shown easily the most well-rounded skill set the division has ever seen. The only thing he doesn’t have going for him is he isn’t 750 pounds like Lesnar or Carwin.

I’m not saying JDS sucks. I think he’s very good. I already said he is ATLEAST in the top 3 for strikers that the heavyweight division has seen in a long time. He has out-struck all of his fighters so far, which I expect. But could he outwrestle Cain or Lesnar? Could he find a way to beat someone who doesn’t match up well with him? I don’t know, but Roy Nelson is the guy to find out. He might very well be what everyone else is saying, but until I see him beat the best I won’t know.

• cocoonofhorror says:

Big Cunty is going to get mauled.

• Rich S. says:

Makington, why is it so easy to side with Cain as the real deal, but not with JDS?

I mean, you think Cain is far more deserving of a title shot, but what really constitutes that?

I think it’s incredible that you can say you’re not “sold” on Dos Santos yet? How?
    Five fights in the octagon, five knockouts. Four in the first round. There must be something more than his performance that’s keeping you from siding with him, because with five straight batterings, over the likes of Cro Cop, Gonzaga, and Werdum, he is extraordinarily deserving of a title shot.

I’ll agree that Cain is as well, but I don’t see how he could be MORE deserving. He destroyed Rothwell, yes, but surely you don’t think that Rothwell would’ve beaten JDS.. He was rocked multiple times en route to a UD over Kongo, and finally, he battered Big Nog. But, again, Nog’s so inconsistent at this point, I can’t tell if he’s at the end of his career or if Cain is just that damn good.

I have no problem if you’re just more of a fan of Cain’s, but I feel like there’s no way to really say either of these guys is more deserving.. Sure, you can go on all you want about how Werdum isn’t the same he used to be, or Cro Cop is a shell of him former self, but JDS’s least flattering opponents easily balance with Cain’s.

• Niv says:

I’m one of those that actually believs that JDS is the UFC’s best HW today. He has a better resume than Cain and I think that this fight against Big Country is going to be a real tough fight.

I know Cain ko’d Big Nog, but after seeing Mir do it as well I’ve come to the conclusion that these ko’s have more to do with Nog’s rapidly deteriorating body than it has to do with the devastating punching power of Cain and Mir. Neither of these guys have been noted for their heavy hands yet looked like George Foreman against Big Nog.

Let’s not forget that Cain couldn’t hurt Kongo and no one would dare put Kongo in the elite level or consider him to have an iron chin either.

I’m not hating on Velasquez as he appears to be a very good fighter, I just think the Big Nog fight may have artificially elevated his status.

• LiverPunch says:

I pick Nelson by dec. Dos Santos is a good fighter but so is Nelson. I think unless he tries to trade a little too much, he will take Dos Santos down and wear him down with control and GnP.
    But Dos Santos has shown before that he can set a trap and catch his opponent out.

• MCM says:

Makington,
    The argument you make for Gonzaga could easily be applied to Kongo, so we’ll call that a wash.

Crocop may not be his old self by he looked better in his fight with JDS than he ever has in the Octagon and JDS smashed him. I would have put that Crocop against Rothwell any day.

Yvel is a threat simply because he knows how to KO Kongo (unlike Cain)

Werdum was easily top 10 and arguably top 5 when JDS fought him. Most people were calling for Werdum to get a title shot instead of Brock. How is that not comparable to an over the hill Big Nog?

as for blasting through the O’briens and Stojnic’s, well… JDS has never had to face such low competition.

You’d be hard pressed to find anyone with a better UFC resume in 10 fights or less in the UFC HW division than Dos Santos and that’s just a plain fact.

But maybe we should save these arguing points for when they finally announce Cain vs JDS. 😉

• bigbadjohn says:

• MickeyC says:

No dout JDS is a top contender. I would think he or Cain would get the next shot. I was hoping the 2 would fight for the spot.Now on to Roy, Roy is better than most give him credit for. He can beat JDS, I see it ending in a crucafix ground & pound/ ref stoppage. I do not think Roy will stand. And he has the ability to take it to the ground if he wants. But I did not think he would stsnd with the length Strub had on him, & I called it all wrong, so who knows.Either way I hope he comes to the cage with airbrushed abs like those dudes from 300!!!LOLJJ

• Makington says:

I will have to agree to disagree MCM and Rich. I get your points and they are true. I guess Cain’s win have just left more of an impression on me. Them fighting would solve all these problems ha.

Still respect your guys opinion though.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I enjoy the idea of Dos Santos pounding out one more win on his way to the top.
    Although Roy Nelson is no joke, I can’t see him taking Dos Santos down.
    And if he does,then Viya con Dios Dos Santos.
    Dos Santos by an equally ugly as it will be brutal KO..

• danw84 says:

I really don’t like this fight.

I’m a big fan of Nelson, and I’ve become a fan of Dos Santos over his last few wins as well. I really don’t want one of them to have to lose.

I think this fight will be great and exciting, but I’ll be disappointed no matter who loses…

• Creature says:

i like this fight, i think the UFC is testing BC more than JDS here, if u think about it, JDS is alot like arlovski, he has excellent striking, and prolly has decent ground considering he trains wit the nogs, and since BC lost 2 arlovski, well its obvious there trying 2 see if hes really improved enough since then, as 4 JDS its simply can he handle a powerful striker with an equally good ground, which is exactly what cain, carwin, and lesner all have

i like both these fighters and think this is gonna be great, but considering ive counted out BC in his 4-5 fights and he proved me wrong everytime, i gotta go with BC via decision 29-28

• danw84 says:

I agree with you on all points Creature, I simply don’t like the fight because I generally cheer for both of them, and hate the idea of having to have one of them lose.

• stone says:

Nelson wants to be in the talks with the top shelf… Well here ya go “big country”, good luck! I don’t see JDS losing to anyone! I don’t want JDS n Cain to fight, I wanna see them both get a shot at the belt, both undefeated in the ufc and with full confidence!

At this time I think everyone wanted to see Nelson and JDS both fight other opponents rather than this match up but it’s going to be a good fight and the outcome will have an impact on both of there careers one way or another, if Roy pulls this out and strategically gets the win I think it will shake things up in an already interesting weight class

• moosebaby02 says:

There is no guarantee until JDS fights an elite wrestler. only a question mark. As with Roy, theres no saying he can roll with Dos Santos when history showed he struggled with Arlovski  (Quote)

Roy was winning that fight when the ref stood them up for now reason

• moosebaby02 says:

im in the same spot with alot of you. i like them both want them both to win and i can see Roy winning this one just as JDS.
    I have to go with Roy on this one due to experience.