Sylvia subs Pudzianowski, Modafferi outpoints LaRosa at Moosin MMA

PRESS RELEASE / WORCESTER, Mass. (May 21, 2010) – Former 2-time UFC champion Tim “Maine-iac” Sylvia forced 5-time “World’s Strongest Man” Mariusz Pudzianowski to tap-out in the second round of the super heavyweight main event of this evening’s “Moosin: God Of Martial Arts” mixed martial arts pay-per-view show at the DCU Center in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Sylvia, a native of Eastbrook, Maine, used his experience, arm length and boxing skills to defeat Pudzianowski, who was making his U.S. debut in only his third pro fight.

“This feels great, man,” Sylvia said after the fight. “I’m back. Mariusz Pudzianowski is one helluva tough guy. This provides me with an opportunity to get another big fight, hopefully in three months. It didn’t go as I had planned. I thought I’d knock him out in the first round but I was a little cautious. My corner told me after the first round I could do anything because he was gassed. Once he failed on the takedowns, I knew I had him.”

In the co-main event, heavyweight Travis Wiuff recorded his 61st win, unloading a vicious left hook, followed by two rights that dropped Josh Barnes, which ended the fight only 34 seconds into the opening round.

Middleweight Rafael Natal (12-2-0) stopped Travis Lutter (10-6-0) by way of unanswered strikes in the opening round of their middleweight match.

Boston lightweight Mike Campbell (9-2) registered the most significant victory of his young career, taking a 3-round decision from veteran Yves Edwards (37-15-1) in a back-and-forth fight.

In a rematch featuring two of the top female MMA fighters in the world, Roxy Modafferri (15-5-0) avenged her loss, winning a split decision against Tara LaRosa (18-2-0).

Polish heavyweight Lukasz Jurkowski improved his record to 15-9, striking Ho Jin Kim with back-to-back right hands for a first-round knockout.

A full set of results from “Moosin MMA: God of Martial Arts” can be found below:

Stipe Miocic def. Paul Barry via TKO – Round 2
Anthony Lapsley def. Frederic Belleton via Submission – Round 1
Matt Lee def. Brett Oteri via TKO – Round 2
Forrest Petz def. Ralph Johnson via Unanimous Decision
Lukasz Jurkowski def. Ho Jin Kim via TKO – Round 1
Roxanne Modafferi def. Tara LaRosa via Split Decision
Mike Campbell def. Yves Edwards via Unanimous Decision
Rafael Natal def. Travis Lutter via TKO – Round 1
Travis Wiuff def. Josh Barnes via TKO – Round 1
Tim Sylvia def. Mariusz Pudzniaowski via Submission (strikes) – Round 2

• “I’m back.” REALLY? The Stainiac beating up an MMA rookie with no gas tank proclaims he’s back? Also, what has happened to Lutter? Natal is no joke by any means, but Lutter has fallen so far so quickly.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Very nice.
    Big Tim is one step closer to being invited to the Superhulk II Tournament.
    But don’t leave us hanging,how did he get the tap out?

• JOEgun says:

Very nice.Big Tim is one step closer to being invited to the Superhulk II Tournament.But don’t leave us hanging,how did he get the tap out?  (Quote)

Tim made him tap to an anaconda choke. haha yeah right. Actually the “strongman” tapped due to strikes. Not sure why it wasnt stated in this article.

• LiverPunch says:

???????????????????????

• moosebaby02 says:

Yeah cuz apart from Mercer he has only ever lost to Arlovski, Mir, Fedor, Couture and Nog. How shit is he? He’s so shit he has lost to 1 guy ever that wasn’t top 5. What a loser. So what if he is a 2 time UFC champion and has been ranked as high as 2nd in the world. I’m with you guys, 26-6 means nothing. You suck Tim.???????????????????????  (Quote)

OH another reason why Fedor is so great

• cere says:

Looked to me like he tapped due to needing a nap. He lay down, Tim got him into a sort of crucifix except one arm wasn’t really secured at all. Tim threw a few punches, didn’t look to land really and at the same time Pudz started tapping. He flopped to the ground pretty much asking Tim to get on him so he could tap.

• Makington says:

???????????????????????

Who has he ever beat to really impress anyone? Yeah, he beat Arlovski. At the time it seemed like it was cause he hits really hard, but now we know better. He beat a tiny Brandon Vera with one hand, and he beat Ricco Rodriguez back in the day, who I don’t really consider that good.

Basically those 5 fighters you named are far and above the best 5 fighters he’s faced. Sure, he used to be champ when the division was as shallow as SF’s and fighters weren’t as well rounded as they are now, to the point where he defended his belt against Gan McGee. Nogueira played his game for 3 rounds and Sylvia couldn’t finish him. Sylvia played Nog’s game for about 30 seconds and was tapped out.

I don’t think he’s a bad fighter, he’s decent I guess. I don’t think either that he’s gotten worse, everyone else has just gotten better. Can you imagine what any of the HW contenders would have done to the HW division if he were a few years ago? Junior Dos Santos could have beaten the entire division in one night if he wanted to a few years back, which shows me how far the division and mma has come.

• cocoonofhorror says:

a tap to strikes is a TKO, not a sub. anyone who dissagrees with me is a moron.

• BigPerm82 says:

Nobody probably cares, but Stipe Miocic TKO’d Paul Barry, not the opposite. I actually feel confident in saying that Miocic would probably whoop Sylvia’s ass. Why is it that once a fighter gets KTFO’d by Fedor, their career starts a downward spiral. Sylvia, Arlovski, and now The Grimm. To Sylvia and Arlovski, I guess the grass isn’t always greener on the other side…plus it makes Dana White look like a genius!!! I look for The Maine-iac to be on an NAAFS card in the Cleveland area by the end of 2010.

• Spoken says:

with all due respect, a submission is when you cause the other fighter to verbally or physically signal his wish to end the fight. a TKO is when your opponent is no longer capable of intelligently defending ones self. as it were, pudz physically tapped out, i.e. submitting to sylvias strikes. long story short, victory to sylvia via submission. id appreciate you not calling me or anyone else a moron because of your lack of understanding.

• LiverPunch says:

“I don’t think he’s a bad fighter, he’s decent I guess”
    You said it better than I could.
    Please don’t say Dos Santos coulda, woulda, shoulda. Because you don’t know. Let your imagination run wild but just remember, it is only your imagination. You should preface such comments with “I think” or “I am guessing” or even “I don’t really have any idea really but maybe”
    Coccoon, I think you are wrong and making it worse by insulting people. It is a tap due to strikes, a tko is where the ref stops it without your tapping.

• Kuch says:

Sylvia was only rated as highly as he was because he was the UFC champ. If he was in Pride he wouldn’t have even be a footnote on the heavyweight landscape. Attempting to rewrite his career at this point to make him relevant is the desperation of a revisionist. Big Tim sucked, and the booing crowds clued Zuffa in to this fact just in time to make way for fighters fans actually want to see.

• bigbadjohn says:

I wasnt going to post until i saw Cocoons comment but now… WHAT YOU SAY IS WHAT YOU ARE heh heh heh

• AR15 says:

cocoonofhorror…the name says it all. Your thoughts & knowledge is like a lil cocoon, & when it decides to come out & share itself with the world. We get comments like…

a tap to strikes is a TKO, not a sub.anyone who dissagrees with me is a moron.

which is incredibly horrorable for my eyes to read…Im sure there’s a MMA manual you can pick up somewhere, or download to help catch you up to speed…idk just something you might wanna concider

• MickeyC says:

I never cared for Tim. He always seemed akward & ruled at a time when the UFCs HW division was not what it is today, & their camp was dominating. I think it is pure comedy that he thinks “he is back” after this fight. Hard to tell if he is pipe dreaming or pipe smoking. A couple more like this and he may see SF fights but the UFC is far out of reach. Maybe Andri has a fight left to burn on his SF contract & we will see them fight one more time. I know it sounds dumb, but if I had to watch either fight I’d perfer it be with each other.

The only thing “back” is the steps in competition Tim is fighting these days… How can a Former champ consider himself “back” after beating a fighter who is a novice to the sport and whose cardio makes Kimbo look like a marathon runner… Tim is back… back to 305 lbs. Be humble Tim.