Dana White confirms Rampage vs. Evans winner to get first crack at Shogun

Bitter rivals Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans will now have even more incentive to prevail in their UFC 114 grudge match on May 29 in Las Vegas with the winner guaranteed a title shot against newly minted light heavyweight champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the week long speculation during a colorful teleconference call promoting UFC 114 “Rampage vs. Evans” on Tuesday.

“I did commit to the winner (of UFC 114) getting a title shot,” said White.

There was no love lost between the “TUF 10” opposing coaches as both Jackson (30-7-0) and Evans (14-1-1) traded barbs during the entirety of the teleconference. White had to verbally separate the former UFC champions on more than one occasion.

“He has done nothing compared to what I’ve done,” said Jackson. “I’m the first ever undisputed champion of my sport, so fighting this guy is kind of like a step backwards.”

Evans responded to the goading by bringing up Rampage’s 2005 Pride defeat to Rua.

“I got heart, at least I won’t quit like you did against Shogun,” said Evans. You quit and just laid there like a little sucker in the corner.”

White’s confirmation marked the first time either man has been offered the opportunity to regain the coveted UFC light heavyweight belt.

No date has been pencilled in for Rua’s first title defense.

• elkymbo says:

I am hanging for this fight. The fights where the participants literally want to kill each other are always tops in my books. Go Rampage.

• This will be a GREAT fight! Winner takes on shogun, too. I really can’t complain.

• stone says:

Awesome! DW please don’t give Evans a title shot unless he wins “convincingly” My UFC buddies n I are about sick of the “GregJackson strategizing”… that lay n pray crap must stop! I’m really hoping Rampage KOs this suckah!!!

• MCM says:

I said it when Rampage quit MMA to be and actor “I don’t care if I ever see Rampage fight again.” And I stand by it. I’ve never really liked Rampage and don’t think he’s funny at all….but I do like Rashad. So I guess I’m gonna half to watch this one. WAR Rashad.

• moosebaby02 says:

rashad is dead.
    GO RAMPAGE

• hindsightufuk says:

i always loved Quentins extras on the Pride dvd’s, and when they had him as a color commentator, he’s a cool brother, i’ll be rooting for him.
    where was he going with ‘’m the first ever undisputed champion of my sport”?
    i dont get it

• JOEgun says:

Rampage is gonna blast through Rashad. No matter how good Rashads training is, he is gonna get caught because i believe Rampage has better hands. One knuckle from Rampage is all it will take to put the lights out on Evans… but im pretty sure Rampage will drop a few bonus shots on his unconscious foe. Thats what i envision happening. Then we will have Rampage vs Shogun 2!! Too soon for a prediction on that one.

• BigDave says:

I really don’t like either fighter. But runpage being a ducking bitch makes me want to see him get blasted.

• Jstew3785 says:

I think Rampage is going to destroy Evans. His wrestling is good enough to stop Rashads takedowns, his boxing is much better than Rashads, he’s definitely got more power. Cardio I would say is probably equal. I don’t see how Rashad wins this at all.

• Angry Mike says:

Gotta give the edge to Rashad. He has quicker hands and better wrestling, which he doesn’t necessarily need. Rampage’s only fights since losing to Griffin, who is slower and has less power than Evans, have been against a diminshed ‘Wand and Jardine, who’s always struggled against heavy hitters. During his time in the UFC, Rampage was at his best when Juanito trained him. Since moving to Wolfslair, he’s become increasingly focused on striking, and especially big ko punches. Rashad is elusive and a good counter puncher and less likely than either Silva or Jardine to get caught. Unless he’s made some dramatic changes and recommitted himself to training, Rampage will be predictable and his conditioning may be suspect.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think when Rampage said “first ever undisputed champion” he likely meant when he beat Dan Henderson to unify Pride/UFC LHW belt. I suppose that could be called”undisputed” even tho better term would be “unified” .

Either way if Rampage comes in 100% focused I think he puts a beating to Rashad. I haven’t seen anything from Rashad that tells me he is an elite fighter just yet. Not sure Rampage is elite either but, he has a bigger body of work from which to judge him.

Rampage TKO/KO rnd 2. Not sure either guy can take Shogun.

• Jstew3785 says:

Rashad less likely to get caught? Seriously? I’m sure you saw his last 2 fights where he got caught with big punches. If Thiago Silva had better cardio he’d have finished Rashad.

• MickeyC says:

When They first announced this fight I was leaning toward Rashad, but after lastnights Prime Time I do not know. Rashad is out buying snuggies and custom suits, Rampage is talking about killing someone. Dude is jacked up!

• bigbadjohn says:

most of these comments are unfathomable. Better wrestling? Rampage? better hands? is it that cut n dry? and cardio? someone suggested theyre at par? Page has got the big shot, thats it. His conditioning i expect to be poor, and Rashads definitely quicker, and a stronger wrestler. it isnt Wandy or Keith, Evans is far more elusive. Ring rust for quinton too, this will be a clinic

• bigbadjohn says:

Ill be waiting for that look in Pages eye that he had after the Shogun soccer kicks, but this time it will be from relentless takedowns, weaning cardio and more specifically mental strength. Rashad methodically in the 3rd, TKO

I think Rashad will go into this fight too cautious and Rampage is just going to let it all hang out… Rampage for the win… Just hope the ring rust doesn’t have an effect on him.

• fanoftna33 says:

I belive Rampage will have the power edge, and as for wrestling I think Rampage is going to be able to hold Rashad off for most of the fight , but will eventually he will end up on the ground. The only thing I see that is really a huge advantage for Rashad is speed, added to the fact that he has been more active this may be the best time for him taking on Rampage. Evans has only been koed once and we know he has a tough chin by the way he came back from the Silve punch so really I see Rashad getting the win here.

• Paulo says:

where was he going with ‘’m the first ever undisputed champion of my sport”?
    i dont get it

He was referring to beating Dan Henderson to unify the pride and ufc belts.

• Lethal Liquid says:

Let talk advantages
    Speed: Rashad is the quicker fighter. Will beat Rampage to the punch.
    Power: Rampage has been brutalizing cats for years.
    Wrestling: Rashad for the simple fact that Forrest was able to take him down. Not a dynamic takedown artist.
    Ground game: Rashad, again I sight the Forrest fight. On his back Rampage is about as bad as Kimbo. Rashad is one the best GnP fighters there is. If Rashad sticks and moves and avoids the big shot I see him scoring the takedown and taking this via TKO by strikes on the ground

• bigbadjohn says:

Lethals got it. he knows what he’s talkin about. and lets not forget the Mental Game. The bully vs the psych major. Rampage will be too emotional is my bet

• Angry Mike says:

Moving forward and trying to land the big ko punch is a bad game plan to use against Rashad, but that’s exactly what Rampage will do. If Rashad maintains his head movement and doesn’t try to slug it out with Rampage, I give Rashad the edge. Lots Rashad haters, but I’m sticking with the facts.

• Jstew3785 says:

The facts are that all of what we are saying is speculation and we won’t know anything until they actually fight.

• MCM says:

Gotta agree with Lethal, BBjohn, and Angry Mike. Rampage has done what since entering the UFC… KO’d Chuck – impressive at the time but not so much in retrospect
    DEC Hendo – not so impressive at the time and even much less so now (loss to a WW)
    Loss to Forrest – the only time he even attempted a Slam in the UFC and Forrest just stepped out of it.
    KO’d Wandy – who’s gone 2-5 in the last 4 yrs with 3 of those losses do to KO
    DEC Jardine – where he almost lost and couldn’t KO a guy known for having a weak chin.
    QUIT MMA!

Everyone thinks Rampage is the same guy he was back in Pride, but the truth is he’s not and Rashad is gonna expose him as he “has been” he is.

• danw84 says:

I want Rampage to win, not because I like him (which I don’t), not because I dislike Rashad (which I don’t), but because I want to see him fight Shogun again, and I want to see Shogun wreck him again.

• LiverPunch says:

Wow so many people are certain that Rampage will win. I want him to but I think Rashad is going to be a very big ask for Rampage. He has a great camp has great wrestling, improved striking (see his gnp of Forrest and his KO of Chuck) and he has improved every time he enters the octagon (apart from his destruction at the hands of Machida). I hope Rampage wins but I’m picking Rashad by Dec.

• mu_shin says:

It’s the old “styles make fights”, and what these guys choose to do on fight night.

I am solidly of the opinion that if Rashad Evans makes this a true MMA fight, uses all of his skills standing and on the mat, comes in strong, uninjured and not overtrained, he has a great chance to win. If Rashad gives in to the emotion, tries to blast Rampage with the sweet heavy one punch KO shot, if he tries to make this a kickboxing match, I think that gives Rampage his best shot at victory.

The only downside to Dana’s announcement in my mind is we’re going to see the newly crowned LHW champ on the sidelines for at least six months following the Evans/Jackson fight, which I”ve never liked. They are going to really pump this first title defense, which is great, but not seeing Shogun in the ring until December is kind of anticlimactic .

• Makington says:

Rampage is gonna blast through Rashad. No matter how good Rashads training is, he is gonna get caught because i believe Rampage has better hands. One knuckle from Rampage is all it will take to put the lights out on Evans… but im pretty sure Rampage will drop a few bonus shots on his unconscious foe .

I hate to beat a dead horse but those were EXACTLY what people said about Hardy/GSP, and Kos/Daley. These guys have very similar styles to the previous matchups with a great wrestler with solid, improved striking (except GSP who was a striker first) against someone who focuses only on the stand up game.

We know how those fights went.

I figured out recently that I’m too excited for this fight, way to excited for it to deliver. I expected them to just stand and trade for a 3 round war but that obviously won’t happen so I’ll wait for another lower profile card to blow me away like usual.

• Jstew3785 says:

I wouldn’t compare this to Kos/Daley or GSP/Hardy at all. What I said before is that Rampage has good enough wrestling and takedown defense to keep the fight standing. Rashad has the advantage in wrestling and hand speed but has shown he is succeptible to the big shot. I feel that on the feet Rampage will have the advantage. I just don’t see Rashad winning this fight at all. That’s just my opinion

• bigbadjohn says:

If forrest can take rampage down, rashad could blindfolded with one hand. And if forrest kept Page on his back, Rashad could probably catch a few Z’s on top, and wake up for the bell.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I hate both fighters and I love both fighters and I hate both fighters.
    Both are capable of exciting fights and yawnfests.
    Although I think Kimbo could out “Mr .T” Rampage any day of the weeks y’all,
    I’m picking Rampage to KO Rashad in Rnd 1.

• Dufresne says:

I know I’m a bit late to the conversation, but better late than never!

Rashad is a very high level wrester. Very high. People tend to overlook or forget about that fact because lately Rashad has been punching, and even high kicking, people in the head. If Greg Jackson and Rashad remember what got him this far in MMA, it’s going to be a boring fight with Rampage stuffing maybe 1/3 of the takedown attempts and then doing his best to keep Rashad from doing anything hoping the ref will stand then up.
    On the other hand, if Rashad gets all the shit talking in his head and tries to prove something in a boxing match, it could be a different story. Rashad has the speed advantage, but we’ve seen him get ko’d and rocked lately by guys with much less punching power than Page. If they play rockem-sockem robots I see Page taking more shots, but handling them better.

All in all I see Rashad winning this one using wrestling and movement, and he can make this as excititng or boring as he’d like.

And before you lump me in with Rashad nut-huggers know this: I think Rashad is the biggest D-bag in MMA today, maybe ever. I won’t go into a rant here but personally I hope Page lands a flying-Hendo-skull-crush.