“Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery” takes 40% dive in ratings department

Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery” saw a significant decrease in the number of viewers compared to the promotion’s previous effort on Showtime.

The event took place from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

The event reportedly drew 308,000 viewers according to a recent report from MMAJunkie.com, which would mark a 40% decrease in ratings compared to the 517,000 recorded during the previous Strikeforce event on Showtime in December.

The main event of the evening featured a heavyweight title fight between Alistair Overeem and Brett Rogers, while Andrei Arlovski and Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva went at it in the co-headliner of the evening.

• Guthookd says:

I thought the fights were pretty decent my self. If I had Showtime I’d have watched from start to finish, but then again I would have also watch the last one so it wouldn’t make a difference I guess.

Too bad. The next one will be better SF>dont’ worry.

• stew444 says:

I’m pretty sure the last Strikeforce event on Showtime was during a free Showtime preview weekend.

• Kamakosmo says:

Some of you people just don’t get it…There are reasons why every major company has an expansive Advertising Dept, and why those that spend money in advertising will win out against those that don’t. Sure, every die-hard MMA fan that come to this site and other similar one’s are most likely gonna watch these (now, don’t get mad) non-UFC Cards. But that’s about it. Face it, advertsising, and lot’s of it, get buy’s. Did any of you see ANY TV advertising for this Card…anywhere?? Maybe on Showtime (which I do not get), but nowhere else, on any channel did I see any advertising that would entice me to order this thing, rather than wait for the results seconds after every bout (and in some cases, watch for free on the net)

Advertising is what drives successful companies. Do anyone here really think Bud Light is a good beer? So good that it outsells all other’s in the US??? No F’n way!!! It sux, but there we are as consumers, buying this stuff up for various artificial, mind controlling induced reasons (deep, huh?) For weeks I’ve been saying to myself, I’m not gonna get this next UFC card (Evans/Jackson)…I want more for my $$$ (greedy, I know…) I’ve been watching this game long enough to know that the ones with the most hype, usually don’t deliver. And that is totally not the fault of the fighters, most of the time. That is the Big Advertising machine doing it’s job. And there they are again, luring me into Evans/Rampage with each commercial I see…and as much as I say “Not this time…”….I will inevitably have a bunch of my drunken idiot friends over for cards and fights……and yes, most likely be happy.
    All I ‘m saying is, if StrikeForce is going to be successful, they are going to have to advertise…alot. They are going to have to advertise their biggest assets (we know who they are, no need to repeat them here). And, they are going to have to grow to be a more “Island of their own” type of Company, like (now, don’t get mad) the UFC. Does Coker and is affiliates have the same dough as Zuffa? Probably not…but that doesn’t mean they can’t succeed without it…..but if not done properly, they can certainly fail.

• danw84 says:

• Kamakosmo says:

Good point Danw84 (and funny that you said the awesomness of Dexter—that’s my Dog’s name)…but it’s hard to compare those weekly shows (are they weekly?) that have a regular, infatuated audience that come back each week to see what happens. If Strikeforce suffers because they are on Showtime, and because of that they fail and dissappear…..Doesn’t matter who you blame, it will be because they weren’t correctly advertised….and also maybe because us diehard MMA fans did not think that Roger’s, in any way deserved that title shot…a title shot being defended for the first time by it’s holder in 2 years (now that’s just nuts!!!)

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with any Ad agency and don’t necessarily know 2 sh**s about advertising…other than being a consumer LOL!

• LiverPunch says:

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Strikeforce needs to buy some advertising. UFC obviously has Spike to hype the crap outta each and every PPV . If Strikeforce would spend some money someplace like ESPN or even buy a commercial slot during one of the countless re runs of UFC unleashed it would be money well spent.

Even if Spike is the official mouthpiece of the UFC they would not turn down advertising dollars or even go bold and buy time during TUF. That prolly won’t happen unfortunately and that’s a shame because this was a good card top to bottom and even the one match that went the distance was a compelling match up between two very game competitors that was only really decided the final 2 + minutes of final round.

If more people would have known about it then maybe more would stick around for more MMA in general.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

My bad forgot Bigfoot and AA went the distance.either way it wasn’t a horrible match.

• Austin says:

Here’s why there were decreased ratings:
    Dexter, Weeds, and Californication are not in season.
    I cancel my showtime sub when those shows aren’t currently running.
    Technically I don’t have any pay channels right now.
    I just track down a stream online and watch it.

• twyg says:

Even if SF advertised people aren’t buying Showtime just for that. SF needs more free cards where advertising can help. UFC has basically co-opted an entire cable network where they can give us TUF, fight nights, unleashed, and the random free cards plus they have WEC and Versus. SF needs to get off of Showtime and go to CBS completely if they want a chance to survive the next 5 years. By the way Dexter is the shit.

PPL already said it above but advertising is a big part of being a PROMOTION… Regardless if it’s Showtime, Spike, a network channel u gotta promote a special presentation like a fight card… Especially if it’s not a reoccuring program. Hmm wonder if SF built up there brand recognition how many fans would be willing to follow them to showtime… Guess we will never know.

• blue says:

There are some good points above and I don’t have an opinion to add, but I do have some other points I would like to bring visibility to.

1) One benefit Strikeforce has of broadcasting on Showtime is that Showtime pays Strikeforce to air their fights. (Revenue Stream).

2) Nobody knows what Strikeforce’s Financials are; they may be elected to spend more of their money on fighter salaries, M-1’s cut (although they were not involved in the Showtime Card) or advertising. Each business can allocate their spending how they see fit.

3) Judging the advertising and promoting the UFC does for their brand\fighters\cards, it is obvious they do not spend all their money on fighter salaries.

• EricOBrien says:

Mad_hatter,

As much as I would agree that they SHOULD advertise during TUF, I am fairly sure that Dana would have had that in a contract that he signed with Spike. We have plenty of contracts like that which prevent competing products from advertising during certain time slots. We charge a premium for that but in this case I would think that Spike and the UFC see their relationship as symbiotic so neither side would be in a hurry to hurt that relationship.

That said, there would be local spots available that Strikeforce could purchase but they would have to do so in each individual market to get around what I am only guessing would be a paragraph or two in the UFC/Spike contract.

Even then, Strikeforce’s best bet would be to work out a Bellator like deal to run a 30 min deal on NBC late night or hook up with MTV…anything to get a broader audience. In the case of Dexter, Weeds, or Californication they have built an audience via word of mouth and helped increase the Showtime buys when the seasons are on but much like Austin I too cancel my Showtime when those shows are not on and TWYG is correct if they want to survive as a #2 they need to get off of premium cable to an easier to get to channel.

• moosebaby02 says:

While that’s all true Kamakosmo, Strikeforce is on a premium channel and not on pay-per-view. Strikeforce advertising on tv doesn’t do much for people who don’t get the channel. Sure, guys like me when I lived in the States ordered Showtime JUST to for Strikeforce (and later on discovered the awesomeness that is Dexter), but the average person isn’t going to get an entire channel just to watch some fights unless they are a big fan.Strikeforce advertising their Showtime shows isn’t really on them, it’s on Showtime. If Showtime can’t convince people it’s worth getting, then Strikeforce can’t possibly even be seen by those potential customers. It’s on Strikeforce to deliver a solid product, but in their current situation it wouldn’t be very cost effective to advertise much outside of the Showtime channel.How much do you see Dexter, The Tudors, Bullshit!, Californication, etc., advertised on regular tv?  (Quote)

i dont get showtime YET!!! bit i see those shows advertiised on verious channels all the time telling me to get Showtime.
    So to your answear ALL THE TIME

• moosebaby02 says:

I hope it does a little better next time. Lashley, Fedor and co may prove to be big draws in the future. Strikeforce does not have the PR and marketing that bigger promotions have and having spoken to the odd casual fan, most people think that the UFC houses all of the top talent and SF and other promotions somehow have inferior fighters. This is not true of course, but to convince the general public you may need a brick wall to bash their heads against. They just are not willing to listen.  (Quote)

OR you can do better advertising to prove other wise

• MCM says:

People also forget that Showtime and CBS are owned by the same company. I too have seen ads for Califonication, Dexter, etc. on television so why no Strikeforce? There are were some very marketable fighters on that card that people will and have paid for, and for it to do such dismal ratings is, I think, part and parcel due to no advertising.
    I knew when this fight was scheduled cause I visit MMA sites on the internet. I know about the Rampage/Rashad card cause it’s all over the damn TV.
    Strikeforce seamed to be a great organization when they were trying to build their name, but now that they have Fedor (and his mess) and the CBS deal, they can’t seam to make a decent business decision.
    A HW champ who with one title defense in the passed 3 yrs. (and that against a fighter coming off a loss)
    A MW champ that just defended his title and jumped ship
    A LW Belt that will now have two chances to become meaningless (Dream fight, Bellator Fight)
    No advertising for a card that has one of the most marketable fighters in MMA (AA)
    What the hell is going on Coker?

• Angry Mike says:

It would be interesting to compare numbers for Strikeforce cards that are aired on CBS or immediately after a card aired on CBS to those aired only on Showtime. My theory (which could be wrong) is that exposure on a major network increases Strikeforce’s numbers for the “free” card and also for the next card. Numbers for subsequent cards drop off because of the ppv cost and short attention spans.

With regard to ppv, I question whether that’s the best model for the org. They have some good fighters and at least one great one, but people have to live within their means, and most customers would save their money for UFC ppv’s. If I had to choose, I’d go with a UFC card most of the time.

• Here’s why there were decreased ratings:
    Dexter, Weeds, and Californication are not in season.
    I cancel my showtime sub when those shows aren’t currently running.
    Technically I don’t have any pay channels right now.
    I just track down a stream online and watch it.

I think you are right about that. I add it just for the night. Comcast will let you add it for that night for about 4$. I am sure that other tv providers would let you add showtime for a night. Beats paying 54$.

• Guthookd says:

If they guaranteed a new card every month I’d probably buy Shotime.

How much is it to add just that channel to your Comcast package? Anyone know?

• Dreadedfistofthenorthwest says:

It’s not just about advertising. You have to give people a free taste. Another article at FOOP drew the link between UFC having Spike to advertise their PPV. Not only that, many fighters were brought up on regular TV through the ultimate fighter. That’s how I got my wife hooked on MMA. Reality TV for her, Fighting for me. Strikeforce needs to suck up some pride and straight up COPY that. I asked my gal if she wanted to watch this and she said no because she didn’t know anyone, but she’ll watch rank amateurs “fight” on TUF. Strikeforce needs to pitch a reality show to CBS that markets their fighters. Who cares where CBS buries it during the week, we all have a pvr. Then they’ll have the casual buyers necessary to succeed.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Eric,

You are prolly right about Dana not having cross-promotional advertising on TUF but, there are several other shows on Spike (1000 Ways to Die, Manswers etc) that target the same people who generally watch UFC. (Those shows are total crap but, same target audience).

If i didn’t frequent this and other similar sites I would have not even known this show was on. Granted I never watch CBS so I have no idea if any advertising was on there or not. I would really like to see Strikeforce do well even if I prefer UFC overall. Variety is good. Since there was a drop in viewers does anyone know the PPV buy rate? If they did decent with the buy rate then maybe that helped with some revenue.

Don’t know if anyone has Directv but, most of the time if you call and ask they will comp you Showtime for a month to “try out” then drops off in 30 days. That’s how I watched this event then I order it when Dexter comes back on.

• Kamakosmo says:

“Dreaded”…Not only that, many fighters were brought up on regular TV through the ultimate fighter. That’s how I got my wife hooked on MMA. Reality TV for her, Fighting for me…..

Totally agreed…I got my Girlfriend into TUF, and because of that show (the reality side that woman love) I have no problem with the “Gonna have the boys over for the UFC PPV” conversation.