Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis likely for UFC 118

A welterweight tilt between Marcus Davis and Nate Diaz is on tap for the promotion’s first event in Boston.

The news of the bout comes according to a report from MMAJunkie.com.

Diaz is coming off a victory in his debut at welterweight against Rory Markham at UFC 111. Despite Markham having a seven pound weight advantage due to missing weight, Diaz was easily able to finish Markham off in the first round. Diaz has stated that he has wanted to fight at both welterweight and lightweight in the future.

Davis is coming off of a hard-earned victory at UFC 113 against Jonathan Goulet. Davis finished Goulet with strikes in the second round, avoiding the possibility of losing three straight fights. Davis also went 17-1 as a professional boxer before entering MMA.

UFC 118 takes place on August 28 and will emanate from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.

• Connor Cobain says:

Wow the info on Marcus’s last fight is wrong. Marcus almost submitted Jonathan with a guillotine choke. Just throwing that out there.

• This will be a good fight. Nate via sub.

• moosebaby02 says:

if Davis can keep it standing then he will have a chance. other then that i see Nate taking him down at some point and subing him

• hindsightufuk says:

any fight involving the word DIAZ is good by me

“The fate of the fight is hinged on the commission’s ruling for Diaz’ role in the now famous brawl at Strikeforce: Nashville.”

Perhaps the actions of Zuffa when dealing with Daley will put some further pressure on Nashville officials to issue suspensions or fines.

For every action there is a reaction……..

• MCM says:

Man I hate Nate Diaz. If Semtex got fired for the crap he did, Diaz should at least be suspended by the UFC for the junk he pulled in SF. But as much as I hate Diaz, he’s a good fighter. I think the Davis’s best bet is to get in close and beat him up in the clinch, otherwise he’s gonna get out pointed on the feet.

• bigbadjohn says:

Nate via outpoint till Marcus’ exhaustion then a quick Sub. Diaz will use the Dan Hardy trashtalk method to help his cause, or wait did Dan use Nates method?

• Guthookd says:

Diaz out point Davis on the feet? I don’t think so.

Davis via KO. Diaz isn’t going to take Davis down and Davis has better boxing with WAY more power than little Nate. I like both fighters, but I think Marcus has this in the bag.

• Creature says:

I think this is a very interesting fight, no doubt that davis has the overall better standup and i dont see davis getting outstruck.. but diaz has that long reach and if he uses it well it might just happen, diaz also has superior ground but davis is no slouch on the ground either, either fighter could finish the other in any area..

but im gonna go with davis winning via decision

• Makington says:

Diaz out point Davis on the feet?I don’t think so.Davis via KO.Diaz isn’t going to take Davis down and Davis has better boxing with WAY more power than little Nate.I like both fighters, but I think Marcus has this in the bag.

I would have said that a few years ago, but as much as I hate to admit it I think the years are getting to Davis. He was arguably getting beat by Goulet, a guy who takes one punch to beat, and who he would have blasted through within 25 seconds a while ago. We see this happening to quite a few fighters nowadays like Liddell, Henderson, or Quarry. With the amount of punishment Marcus has taken over his long career I really don’t find it too surprising.

Davis also looked like he was having trouble with Saunders’ reach and clinch. I know the clinch won’t be a factor, but if someone knows how to fight using their reach, it’s Diaz. Nate doesn’t have the power that Saunders has so I won’t be expecting a KO but it’s possible I guess.

I think it will be very close fight, alot closer than people are expecting. The obvious pick is Davis for his experience and boxing. He has great defensive jiu-jitsu but I think Diaz will catch him in round 3 wth a sub.

• bigbadjohn says:

Yes outpoint, Mark my words. Marcus wont get inside Nates jab

• Angry Mike says:

Can Diaz flash gang signs after Davis caves in his skull? Hopefully we’ll find out.

• fanoftna33 says:

Makington said it weel, as I think Davis is starting to show a lot of wear out there. He is a great fighter but like many great fighters who engage in all out brawl after brawl it catches up to them. Remember when he was on TUF he took on Melvin Gulliard and basically walked through anything Gulliard threw at him, nowdays he just cant do that. Diaz is a tough guy and as long as he isnt caught flush early I think this is his fight to win, but also could turn out to be a very exciting and very technical fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

I just looked at the sherdog rankings and they acually have Mike Swick at #8 above Nick Diaz, how in the world could anybody who watches mma think Swick is a better fighter than Nick, hell I would have a tough time seeing him beat Nate let alone Nick.