Machida may require orbital surgery following UFC 113 beating from Shogun

Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida may require surgery to repair a fractured orbital he suffered at the hands of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 113, according to his manager Ed Soares.

“He does have a slight hairline fracture, and the reason why it puffed up is the doctor said there was air that got in, and that’s why it fills up,” Soares told MMAJunkie.com.

In the highly anticipated rematch of their controversial UFC 104 bout, Shogun knocked Machida to the canvas with a crisp right hook late in the first round before sealing the deal with a barrage of at least eight undefended ground blows. The damage left Machida’s left eye severely swollen.

“You have almost like a seal with your orbital, and when you have a little hairline fracture and you blow your nose, it just fills up with air,” said Soares. “It’s nothing too major. He may have to have surgery; he may not. It’s up in the air right now.”

No schedule has been set for the return of the former UFC light heavyweight champion.

• Guthookd says:

I’m not surprised. Those were hard shots from a powerful striker.

I hope he makes a quick recovery and gets back to work.

• MCM says:

Same here Guthookd. I like Machida and think he’s one of the best fighters on the planet. I don’t get all the hate the was dumped on him for something he wasn’t responsible for. Can’t wait for him to get better and see him back in the cage.

• Makington says:

I can’t believe it either MCM, but that’s the internet. The guy takes one tough loss to an amazing fighter and now he sucks? People are acting like Lyoto is some chump and should never have even had the belt to begin with, and he’s a giant pussy, and karate is terrible again, and he kicked my cat, etc…

I still think he’s a great, great fighter. I think his next fight will be his most important fight he’s had. Will he learn from the KO and come out stronger with a more refined approach to the fight like GSP did against Hughes, or will he become too conservative and gun shy like Arlovski did with his final UFC fights? Tough question, but I think we’ll see him back better.

Orbital fractures aren’t really too bad either. You basically just wait for it to heal. I full on broke my orbital when I was a kid learning to ride a bike (didn’t learn fast enough) and it’s not like there’s a recuperation period where you need therapy on the area, like if you tore your ACL or something. It’ll be sore as hell and a kind of humiliating exclamation mark from Rua but from my experience once it heals he should be good to go.

Whats with the street fighter Ryu get up in the home page pic?… some body must have been board…

anyway…Machida has plenty of time to recoup and will still be in the title picture, he just has to wait and see what happens with the division… it may actually work out in his favor given the title match ups that could happen over the coarse of the next six months to a year.

• Angry Mike says:

Hopefully he recovers quickly. I know Rua is the real deal, but I still can’t figure out how Machida managed to evade other fighters with power and speed (Silva and Rashad) but not Rua. Maybe the first fight got into his head. He didn’t really seem like the same guy.

• Lethal Liquid says:

The orbital surgery won’t be a big deal. Unfortunately there isn’t a surgery for the injuries his psyche took from that beating. Not to mention the aura of invincibility is completely gone.

• bigbadjohn says:

I damn near got an orbital fracture when Shogun dropped Machida that quickly, my eyes were as big as pie plates in delightful surprise. That Shogun sure was sharp

• moosebaby02 says:

Makington says:
    May 11, 2010 at 12:47 pm

hahahahaha thats was the line of the day for me
    also agreed

• MMApride19 says:

Hopefully he recovers quickly.I know Rua is the real deal, but I still can’t figure out how Machida managed to evade other fighters with power and speed (Silva and Rashad) but not Rua.Maybe the first fight got into his head.He didn’t really seem like the same guy.

I dont think Shogun has as much speed as a fighter like Rashad, his power is certainly up there, how ever his striking is SUPERIOR on all levels. He is very precise with his strikes and far less un predictable. I have fought (in Thai Boxing) against guys who can hit harder than me… and then guys technically superior to me… i know which one i would rather fight! A guy that is very powerful but predictable is a far easier fight IMO. Rashad is powerful…. but he isnt a technical striker. Shogun is powerful, and he is a very technical striker (and he can brawl aswell, but i call that technical brawling!).

• MMApride19 says:

Sorry, i meant, ‘far less predictable’…. not ‘far less un predictable’ lol