Paul Daley: “I fully deserve to be punished for what I did…”

Though many fans believed Paul Daley’s fight against Josh Koscheck at UFC 113 would be over when the British striker connected with one of his infamous lefts few could have envisioned how literal the “over” aspect would actually turn out to be.

On the heels of a post-bell sucker-punch earning him both a pink-slip and possible lifetime banishment from the UFC, “Semtex” wasted little time addressing the matter while apologizing to his bosses at Zuffa, the involved athletic commission, and top welterweight contender Koscheck. The following comes from British publication the Telegraph:

“I’ve had a long flight home to consider my actions and regret the mistake I made on Saturday. I would like to apologize to the UFC and the Athletic Commission for what I’ve done as well as all the fans and sponsors that support me.

I would also like to offer my sincerest apologies to Josh Koscheck who did not deserve the cheap shot I threw. He did what he needed to do in order to win the fight and get the job done, and I foolishly reacted to the situation.

There is no excuse for my actions and I know what I did was very unprofessional. I was immensely frustrated by a collection of things that took place throughout the fight as well as leading up to it, but I’m certainly not trying to condone or excuse my actions.

Josh implemented his game plan perfectly taking me down and staying on top of me for the majority of the fight. I was also frustrated about him claiming (and acting like) I knee’d him in the head on the ground when it was clear for all to see in the video replay that I didn’t connect at all with the knee I threw.

Then finally, the verbal abuse Josh hit me with in the final 30 seconds of the fight simply pushed me over the edge and my frustrations came out as I knew I’d lost the fight, was unhappy with my own performance and had then been ridiculed by my opponent to top things off.

This is certainly no excuse for my actions; I fully deserve to be punished for what I did and hope that everyone I have disappointed can forgive my rash decision. I feel very disappointed in myself for losing my cool and hope that I am able to address my temperament and bounce back from this low point in my career.

I feel ashamed and embarrassed by what I did and hope that together my team and I can get through this issue. It will be a long road back from where I am now to earning the trust and respect of the UFC and the MMA fans that have supported me for so long, I know I’ve let you all down but I’m determined to make it up to you all.”

• This sounds too contrived and he’s making excuses for poor sportsmanship. He acted immaturely. He can dish out the trash talk but can’t take it? Taking out your frustration in such a way because of your inability to compete is a poor example to set. That being said, I wish him success in the future, wherever that may be.

• moosebaby02 says:

This sounds too contrived and he’s making excuses for poor sportsmanship. He acted immaturely. He can dish out the trash talk but can’t take it? Taking out your frustration in such a way because of your inability to compete is a poor example to set. That being said, I wish him success in the future, wherever that may be.  (Quote)

agreed. this just a BOY who ran is mouth into corner that he couldnt get himself out of. Thats why i cant stand guys like him or kos.
    give me the Man who go’s into the cage and let his performance do the talking

That statement has a whole lot of excuses for some one who says there not making excuses… Big ups to Dana and the UFC for acting quickly on this and not setting the proper precedent to ensure other fighters know this bullshit will not be tollerated.

• YetiLee says:

• moosebaby02 says:

How can anybody be pissed at Daley? Seriously, who here doesn’t want to punch Koscheck in the face?  (Quote)

lmao
    i hear ya but he should of did it in the 15 mins of time he was allowed

• Dufresne says:

Is this a form letter? I swear every time a fighter gets in trouble for something or another it’s “I’m sorry I did ____, I apologize to *organization/president/CEO*, I deserve the punishment, blah blah blah.” Can’t someone come out with something more original or more heartfelt?
    I’m sure he’s sorry, but he’s not sorry he blasted Kos, he’s sorry he got his ass fired from the top MMA promoter in the country.

** I just realized I put NOT in my sentence… when I meant to give props to the UFC for there actions… whatever thumbs me down anyway…. should have read as follows:

That statement has a whole lot of excuses for some one who says there not making excuses… Big ups to Dana and the UFC for acting quickly on this and setting the proper precedent to ensure other fighters know this bullshit will not be tollerated.

• blue says:

The “Paul Daley”s of the World are a dime dozen and it is unfortunate Paul Daley realized this after his actions.

• Guthookd says:

If you’re going to throw a sucker punch at least make it a good one.

Kos wasn’t even phased by that weak-ass shot. Didn’t even wobble him in the least bit. With his hands down and facing the other direction that should have been a KO.

• manny says:

Wow! I loved seeing the punch after the fight. You could definatley tell Kos was talking sh*t to him on his ear. I’m glad he got punched.Going in this fight I knew Kos wasn’t going to stand w/ him. It was a boring fight as no damage was done. I hate Kos and now has the reputation to FAKE hits that he wasn’t hit with. 1st, A johnson did not poke him in his eye or knee him and now he does the same w/ daley. BS. GSP will take him down for a decision. GSP needs a challenge as I’m def not interested in watching this fight.

• manny says:

First the strikeforce post fight and now this…. LOL! I’m loving it.
    I wont be surprised if Kimo & Daley join SF.

• blue says:

Strikeforce will scoop up Paul Daley, they love this sort of post-fight sh!t!

• cere says:

At least when GSP kicks him in the nuts, he won’t have to fake it. But even though I know it is never intentional, GSP seems to have a habit of finding the goods when trying for an inside leg kick. And if Kos does get nut kicked, it be a better person to happen to.

When Kos was talking shit into Daley’s ear in the last round, it was after Daley had been mouthing on a little earlier. So, he can talk shit but can’t take it? He and Hardy so obviously come from the same camp. One dimensional fighters that talk tonnes of shit ahead of a fight but can’t back it up against the elite. I did have more hope for Daley though.

• Makington says:

Well not just GSP, but 95% of people end up hitting the groin if they go for a lot of inside leg kicks. It’s almost impossible not to. You have to hit a tiny little area that keeps moving around back and forth different directions, and if you miss by a bit you hit the nuts. Just one of the unfortunate realities of MMA.

I don’t fault Kos for going all lay’n’pray though. The night before the fight he figures out that this is for a title shot and job on the UF show. We all know how much Kos loves getting his face on tv so becoming a coach would be HUGE to him so everytime can see him every week. He did what he had to do to get the win, and I don’t blame him one bit. It was boring as hell, sure, but overall I still think he hsa been i some exciting fights. The only thing I dislike about people who lay’n’pray is when they say they won’t. If you’re going to do it, fine, it’s a legitimate aspect of MMA and if the other fighter can’t stop a takedown then it’s a smart idea. But please don’t say before the fight how much you’re going to knock the guy out and finish him. I wouldn’t mind one bit if Fitch actually said before a fight that he will outwrestle a guy and school him on the mat. I just hate it when he says he is going to box all 3 rounds and WILL get a KO. Then he goes straight for the takedown and repeats every other fight.

• mabus says:

Hi.

• Dufresne says:

Hi.

Okay, I wouldn’t usually do this but feel free to sing along to the tune of a Godfather clock.

“Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong…. wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong… You’re wrong… You’re wrong… You’re wrong…”

“Nut kicks” should never be legal. Hell, they weren’t legal when the UFC was “no holds barred.” There’s absolutely no reason for them to be legal now. My kid sister can kick a guy in the balls over and over, that doesn’t make her a great martial artist.
    As for what Daley did, yeah there have been worse examples of sportsmanship, but that absolutely doesn’t excuse him from sucker punching an opponent after the bell. I don’t care what kind of comparisons you make. It’s inexcusable.

• moosebaby02 says:

Hi.1st of all, someone mentioned “nut kicks” — I think they should be legal. You were a mouth piece, I can punch you in the teeth. Protect your face, keep your hands up when you should. Likewise, you wear a cup, protect your groin. But who cares about this crap…So onto bad sportsmanship: We’ve seen MUCH WORSE is just about every other pro sport. I can find dozens of hockey cheap shots, career ending no less. Real disgusting stuff. Mike Tyson bit another guys ear off. He fought again.Ok. Not here to state all the horror just to dwarf what Daley did… but I think a fine and a suspension is plenty. No need to have a fighter permanently banned from the UFC.  (Quote)

i think you need to read the real reason why he was cut…….Dana would have kept him if wasnt for his answear for why he did it…….”I didnt hear the bell” really??? How stupid does he really think Dana is for him to say that to Dana’s face in the dressing room? That was his answear?? he should walk around with a helmet on if thats all he can come up with.

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

• moosebaby02 says:

I did not find the fight boring. I enjoyed watching Koschek mislead his opponent by declaring he was egotistical enough to slug it out. ( It probably worked). And I was pleasantly surprised to see Koschek do exactly the opposite once the action started. Nullifying your opponent’s strength by taking to a place where you are expert and he is not comfortable….That’s one of the things that makes MMA so interesting.  (Quote)

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

Kos told the whole world that he was going to take down Daley and rear naked choke him in the 1st. and he damn near did it. but the whole week Kos was telling everyone he was going to take him down. no misleading there  (Quote)

Think hard. Kos never at any point, described himself as egotistical enough to slug it out with Daley? .
    He may also have said he was going to take Daley down and rear naked choke him.; A far better choice. But mixed messages can serve a purpose too.

• JBAR says:

Actually groin strikes were legal when the UFC first started. The only rules were no biting, no eye gouging. Groin strikes were not banned until UFC 14. I still remember Keith Hackney using Joe San’s groin as a punching bag. Also fighters did not instantly fold over just because they were struck in the groin, they kept fighting and several times the groin strike was the fuel for the person kicked to beat the other fighter’s ass.

• SEANprizzle says:

If you saw the post fight press conference, Dana White blasted Paul Daley and swore that even if he was later considered the pound4pound champ, he will NEVER be back in the UFC.

Now whats the difference between the crap that Paul did and the disgraceful jumping of Mayhem Miller by Nate Diaz and the Cesar Gracie thugs in StrikeForce (besides that it didn’t officially happen in the UFC)? To me, they were both extremely embarrassing for the sport and Nate was stomping a downed guy who he didn’t even fight with his shoes on. If one P.O.S. goes, they should BOTH go.