Paul Daley and Kimbo Slice cut from the UFC

A double feature of shocking releases have been announced by UFC President Dana White in the wake of UFC 113 from Montreal, Canada.

White recently made the dismissal of both Paul Daley and Kimbo Slice from the UFC official during the post-fight press conference for the event.

Daley sealed his fate when he threw and landed an illegal left hook to the chin of Josh Koscheck long after the final bell had signaled a halt to bout between the pair. Koscheck had thoroughly dominated the contest leading up to the career ending foul from Daley, utilizing a superior wrestling base to keep recently outcast Brit in place on the canvas for the bulk of the three rounds in a bout meant to determine a clear cut challenger to the welterweight throne.

“I didn’t like the response he gave me after I talked to him after the fight,” said White on ESPN.com immediately following the bout in regards to the conversation he had with Daley prior to deciding to cut the British slugger from the UFC. “He said he didn’t hear the bell.

“He might as well find another job because he will never fight in the UFC again.”

Kimbo has ben handed his walking papers from the organization on the heels of his first official defeat with the UFC at the hands of Matt Mitrione. The bout was a one-sided affair with Mitrione picking Slice apart on the feet before launching a grueling ground and pound asault that ultimately brought a halt to the contest, and Kimbo’s career with the UFC along with it.

• moosebaby02 says:

i thought they might hold on to the cash cow for at least one more fight but after tointe the REAL KIMBO FANS can see him for what he really is. NOT saying he is a bad guy, but the truth is the truth….he is nothing but a cash cow who’s 15min of fame has come to an end.
    as for Daley well……..

• MickeyC says:

Damm! I know Daley fucked up, but I hate to see him get cut. Kimbo,man, it was good while it lasted. SF here he comes.

• Makington says:

I’m glad about Daley, but surprised as hell about Kimbo. Yes, we all knew the fight was going to go something like that, but he still got some of the strongest cheers. Dana still could have used him to headline a FN card or co-headline, but I’m alright with it. I still find Kimbo interesting and it is a guilty pleasure to see him fight, but he really didn’t deserve to be there anyways.

Now Dana can go back to ripping him apart in every interview.

And Daley, ‘I didn’t hear the bell’ seriously?! Nice try I guess but unfortunately none of us are blind or stupid.

There’s a .gif of the illegal shot. Decide for yourself if he ‘just didn’t hear the bell’ Miragliotta looked like he was about to kill him though, woulda been cool.

• Connor Cobain says:

Wow! I called Daley being cut as soon as he through that punch but Kimbo!? Wow Dana really did not like him!

• sides666 says:

i am so glad they cut daley. i was a daley fan up until he pulled that. i dont even like kos but that was bad for the sport and he should get charged with assault.

• sides666 says:

oh yeah and kimbo is a joke good riddens

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Looks like Dana made a statement with Daley,just after the Strikeforce fun.
    And now he’s giving Kimbo a chance to earn some money and reputation on the minor circuit.
    I’m sure Kimbo will be welcomed back to the UFC if he puts together a solid win streak.

The big question is –
    A-Daley to Strikeforce
    B-Daley to Dreams
    C-Kimbo to Strikeforce
    D-Kimbo to Dreams
    E-All of the aobve
    F-None of the above
    Actually it’s not really that big of a question.

I think Dana’s gotta reconsider having Kos as the next #1 contender after his douchbaggery both during and after the fight.
    Hell,I wanted Kos to beat the accent out of Daley,and I even got a kick out of his ‘dive’ during the fight,but his post fight words were worse than ICP’s dope hit ,’Miracle!’ – “fuckin’ rainbows after it rains ” ,”fuckin’ MAGNETS…how do they work?”

• bigbadjohn says:

15 minutes of fame over for one Kimbo Slice, a dismissal on account of a disgusting lack of sportsmanship for one Mr. Daley (who could never hang with the wrestlers at 170), all with a Champion being crowned and justice prevailing overall add up to a great event.

• twyg says:

Shouldn’t be surprised with Daley, look at Babalu. Thought they would give Kimbo one more shot just to milk it. Really though can’t blame Dana, bacause he just looked outclassed. Daley will be fighting Nick Diaz in 6 months after he gets done serving a suspention(?).

• fetussandwich says:

I’m glad Kimbo is gone. Now he can stop defecating on MMA and go back to the suburbs and fight in backyards and release a DVD for late night infomercials. Honestly, what has he been working on the past 2 years? He even fails at striking, which was about the one thing he had going for him coming into the Octagon. I wouldn’t even watch him if he went back to YouTube.

• crane_style says:

I think that’s a bit harsh on Daley, but at the same time, what he did was totally against the spirit of MMA. He needed to made an example of.

I like Kimbo, I think he’s an okay guy, but doesn’t belong at Heavyweight. 225 is just not big enough in that weight division. I would have given him the chance to move down to 205 instead of cutting him.

• hindsightufuk says:

on a side note, i have to say i think Miragliotta has improved as a ref. still think he’s shit, just not as shit!

• Dufresne says:

I gotta give Kos props for sticking to his game plan of wrestling, but more impressively for being smart enough to not retaliate after getting sucker punched like that.

• Johnnybigone says:

The UFC just needed to find someone who would stand and trade with Kimbo. He`s never going to mean anything in any weight class, it`s just instead of seeing the possibly entertaining Kimbo in either of his fights we just saw an old dudes arthritic knee get pounded for a while

• fanoftna33 says:

I understand letting Daley go but hell Kimbo is still 500 in the ufc I would like to see him get another chance

• JBAR says:

Daley needed just a little more than 3 rounds to land his left. He changed his fight plan after the bell and went to the chickenshit suckerpunch douchbag plan. I would hope that down the road IF he get’s his shit together and keeps it together Dana would give him a second chance but if not I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

• BigDave says:

Ok first off Daley we already knew you weren’t to bright but now we all know you are a classless peice of crap. I may hate Koschecks attitude but atleast he just has a big mouth but shows respect to opponents after a fight.

Now finally onto the greatest news I have heard in MMA in a long time. Bimbo Splice has been cut from an organization he had no right being on in the first place. Dana had said at first the Bimbo needed to win on the ultimate fighter show to get a shot and of course we all saw what happened there. Then he was put into a fight with houston alexander who if you ask me was payed to throw the fight and let Bimbo win so I throw that one out completely. Now he goes into last night against Meathead and clearly shows that not only is he outclassed by bottom level fighters but that he hasn’t even been able to learn the basics of MMA. He has never and will never be a MMA fighter, Thank god Dana has finally seen this and cut the fool.

• JBAR says:

Kimbo has had several years of training with top MMA trainers and has shown no significant improvement. If he lost but showed his skills were getting better I would agree with you fanoftna33 but he has not improved anywhere close to what you would expect from a fighter training hard plus he has no cardio. Look at the improvment we see out of the TUF fighters in just a year or two with good training.

• fanoftna33 says:

JBAR good point

• MCM says:

Good for Dana for firing Daley. That kinda shit does not belong at the highest levels of any professional sport. Just one more difference between the UFC and the rest of the MMA orgs.

As for Kimob…….

Brilliant business move by Dana. Kimbo had a ton of fans and Dana had no way to cash in on him. So put him on TUF, make sure he signs and fights with the UFC. That way Dana owns his Video Game rights, action figure rights, and a ton of promotional material that they are legally able to put his face on, while keeping other promotions from doing the same. Then cut him after his first loss.
    It also doesn’t help when you’re fighting a guy that’s only had 1 professional and only a year or so of fight training.

• Lethal Liquid says:

Daley got what he deserved. Kimbo in my opinion got a raw deal. That 1st Round was pretty exciting and those slams were nice. What I’m saying is I’ve seen worse and there are guys in the Ufc who have stuck around longer doing far less.

• Dufresne says:

I hadn’t thought about that, but you are absolutely right. Zuffa played this like a master chess champion, and they’re going to be pulling a lot of money from this for a while.

• AlphaOmega says:

Did nobody else hear Dan, the ref, ask Daley what he did that for, and hear Daley respond with I promised him? I will say that if someone taps Kos on the shoulder after a fight anymore, he’s going to be a little weary. As for Kimbo, my friend and I were screaming for more leg kicks, we loved it. And is Mitrione not one of the goofiest fighters?

• JBAR says:

Not really that raw of a deal, he did not really earn his way to the UFC by winning fights or TUF. He was paid 25K for his fight night appearance against Alexander win or lose. That is quite a bit more than others who have paid there dues and made it to the UFC based on performance. I do not dislike Kimbo and I do not fault him for riding the wave and making the cash while he can but the ride in the UFC is over because he has served his purpose. He brought new fans to the UFC and they saw what skilled MMA fighters really look like. Now Kimbo is gone but most of the fans will stay. Maybe Kimbo will land a spot on Bully Beat Down.

• Angry Mike says:

Daley was foolish and paid the price for it, but don’t discount Koscheck’s role. The guy is an elite wrestler and former national champion. He knows how to talk trash and get inside the head of his opponent. He was playing mind games with Daley before the fight even began, and it looked to me as if he and Daley were talking to each other throughout the fight, especially during the third round. I’ll bet good money that Koscheck was needling him all the way through the fight to keep Daley angry and unfocused.

As far as Kimbo goes, his problems are age plus inexperience. Mitrione picked him apart with leg kicks, and they weren’t especially technical. Kimbo was wearing a knee brace on one knee already, so clearly there’s a weakness there. His learning curve is too steep and he’s got too much wear and tear on the body to catch up.

• JKDCAPO says:

As soon as Daley went over to Koscheck I knew he had bad intentions. Damn I really liked Daley. Once he threw the sucker punch that was it. I knew Dana would cut him, especially now after all the bad press that MMA has been getting lately. Sorry Daley you are the example. As for Kimbo. He never belonged in the UFC. They had to bring Houston back just to give him a win. I still think that fight was fixed. Houston has never fought that bad. Kimbo’s striking looked terrible. His grond game hasn’t improved at all. He had some good takedowns though. No cardio = No contract. I wonder what’s next for these two.

• JKDCAPO says:

Someone needs to tell Koscheck that this is MMA, not the NBA. These over exaggerated fouls are ridiculous. Only in the NBA have I seen anything like this. What a bitch. That’s twice!!! First against Anthony Johnson now Paul Daley. I can’t blame Daley for wanting to punch him in the face. Hell I wanted to do the same thing. I might have to skip the next season of tough and the GSP/ Koscheck fight. It might replace my Mayweather’s Greatest Hits DVD as my cure for insomnia. What a f*cking snooze fest.

• Dr. Sardonicus says:

Seems like if Meathead looked good, it was because Slice was so ineffective. Mitreone needs to be tested against stiffer opposition.

• egad81 says:

• Jak says:

Kimbo is gone because they need to focus on the James Toney signing and having to celebrity fighters to promote would be boring.

They’ll give the air time they gave to Kimbo to Toney.

• moosebaby02 says:

UFC has cut guys for holding chokes to long, punching after the bell, running away and just plain sucking…. I am not against any of it.In the case of Kimbo…. I think it goes toward the argument of need a 206-230 weight class  (Quote)

kimbo should never be and argument when it comes to anything that is MMA unless its how to cash out on him as fast as possiable. he will still get KILLED by any one on the UFC roster that would fit in the weight class

• PsYc0tIkDrEaM says:

Sooooooooooooooo since Kimbo’s gone from the UFC will he still be in Future UFC videogames? Like how they still have Kaz Nakamura….?

• Makington says:

I believe they ditched Kazuhiro. As far as when I looked at the roster, they ditched a lot of the lower-tier guys that they made through Create-a-fighter. Guys like Kyle Bradley, Kazu, Matt Arroyo, and Justin McCully didn’t make their way into the new one. I’m not positive but I’m pretty sure.

They might as well keep Kimbo though. It would take effort to cut him from the game, which to me serves no point cause it only makes it worse. Why remove such a popular guy from the game when you can just leave him in? I don’t know how video games developing works, but can they change it when the release is this close? I don’t know if the game is final yet but it comes out in just a couple weeks. He probably won’t be in the next one but I don’t even know if they can change the game this close.

• Dufresne says:

Maybe that’s why Kimbo is only featured as a bonus download for PS3 players.

• egad81 says:

• moosebaby02 says:

I wont disagree that Kimbo’s chances of winning are not good against anyone with leg kicks or basic submissions…..but you have to admit 206 – 230 weight class would be better for the fighters and fans.Guys like Shogun, Forrest, Rampage, Cro Cop and Pat Berry would all do well in that division.  (Quote)

that i agree with

• Makington says:

I wont disagree that Kimbo’s chances of winning are not good against anyone with leg kicks or basic submissions….. but you have to admit 206 – 230 weight class would be better for the fighters and fans.

The only problem with that is Shogun, Rampage, and Forrest are already having great careers at a lighter weight. None of them truly struggle making the weight so it seems like they might as well stay at 205 where they are most effective rather than 230. The weight class would only be good for middle tier heavyweights. Nogueira, Velasquez, Beltran, Dos Santos, and Gonzaga are a good few people who could immediately fight. The only problem is now you have a division with as little fighters in it as one of Strikeforce’s divisions. With the recent growth of heavyweight fighters and popularity they are getting might mean we could see 2 heavyweight classes in the future, but as it is there just aren’t enough fighters to fill 2 separate divisions.

• slammy862 says:

Kimbo is just too old to be learning new tricks.

It’s dangerous when you just completely quit like he does when he gets tired. Only a matter of time before he gets hurt.

He needs to do what he did on youtube, but on a bigger scale, like Fedor does, travel around with your own promotion and set up your type of fights with has been fighters. Not the worst way to make money.

No way he can last waiting in line at the bottom of any decent organization. He’s just doesn’t have the skill or legs for it.

• JBAR says:

The problem I see with adding the 206-230 class right now is it would dilute the 205 and HWT divisions. 205 could survive that but HWT could not, it was not long ago that the UFC HWT division was seen as weak and unexciting. If you set the mark at 230 you would have guys at 250 cutting to 230 for the fight. Right now Lesnar and a few others are the only ones cutting weight for a fight at HWT.

• Dufresne says:

JBAR, I was gonna argue with you, but you’re right. If you opened up a 230 class you’d have JDS, Cain, Mir (he could drop that extra muscle easy), Cro Cop, and a bunch of others dropping down. Then you’d basically have Carwin and Lesnar fighting at HW. Hell, if Lesnar beats Carwin in this upcoming fight Carwin might be tempted to drop to 230. I’m not convinced the 205 division would lose many people, but the HW division would be ransacked.

• Legit38 says:

I think it’s awesome that Paul Daley got his a$$ handed to him by Josh. Good job bro! I wish you could kick Dan Hardy’s a$$ before you fight George. One thing I’ve learned in the past couple years is that Brit’s are good at bumpin their gums but not very good when it comes to backing it up…. As for Kimbo, he’s a good man. He deserves to stay in the UFC, where I thought he never belonged. My hats off to you Kimbo. Hope Dana changes his mind bro.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

just jamming out to JUMP by van Halen-daley should be cut but Kimbo should get one more chance

• raker says:

Maybe I’m way off base but I’ve been wondering about some of the guys that the UFC has signed or brought back lately. The guys that I’m thinking of are guys like Buenetello, Baroni and Kimbo. These fighters may have drawing power in other organizations but are obviously not top-tier fighters. It’s almost like the UFC brings these guys in to prove that they can’t hang with the big boys which affects their marketability when they lose. Then he can cut them and let the Strikeforce’s and Bellator’s have them as second rate fighters. Especially with Kimbo, his mystique is pretty much gone now and he won’t be the drawing card anywhere like he was for Elite XC. Hell, he probably wouldn’t even draw as many on YouTube anymore.

• mdl72 says:

I really think they should have kept Kimbo on. He’s clearly not big enough for the HW division, but I think he could have done OK at LHW – He’d never be a championship contender but would entertaining.

• madheartmma says:

man…it’s crazy how many people HATE Kimbo, That’s lame. I got respect for that dude cuz at least he DID make it to the UFC, just from being a street fighting legend. He was way humble on the TUF show.How many of these “haters” could walk in his shoes? Few. And when people got mad cuz “Kimbo carries a gun..that’s bullshit…what’s he think…” yeah yeah yeah. Forrest Griffin carries a gun on him all the time. No one says crap about that. Why the double standard? When you have a bunch of keyboard badasses hating you,while hiding through pixels & I.P. addresses. It would be a no-brainier to carry a gun. what if one of these douche bags got mad cuz their girl left them for a guy w/ a great beard. lol. Shit I’d carry an uzi. Later haters..let the southern thumbs begin…

Kimbo should have never been on a PPV anyway… they could have milked him for atleast 2 more free tv cards and then gracefully dismissed him… it was bound to happen sooner or later but you think they would give the guy a lil bit credit considering he was the only reason they had record #’s on TUF 10 and ppl continued to watch that horrible season only because of the possiblity to see him fight… He will probably wind up in Japan or SF… I give him props and just hope he was smart with the money he was able to earn in the sport… best of luck and I hope to see him continue to compete.

• manny says:

Kimbo & Semtex, See u in SF!

• AR15 says:

To be totally honest, im not really all that suprised about the sucker punch. I mean really, when you have 2 jackasses of this magnatude in the cage, at the same time…something stupid is bound to happen.
    Personally i think Sat. was a all around good night. Its not like any of us didn’t want to see Kos get smacked just 1 more time, & UFC got rid of the Brittish version of Kos.

Hey Daley…does Div. 1 wrestling mean anything to you Britts now??

As for Kimbo…im just glad we dont have to see his arm-pit-camel-toes anymore.
    I’ll admit, I got caught up in the whole “Kimbo hype” but if your gonna quit after a dozen leg kick then the UFC just isn’t for you…maybe he should call up Faber & ask him a couple pointer on suckin it up and keep fighting…idk just a thought.

• OJ Stevenson says:

First of all mitrione was sloppy and still is his kicks are wild and despite that KIMBO was like 215 220, lol Mitrione was 20 plus pounds heavier. What was he supposed to do because mitrione wasnt gonna bang with him? And daly is half the wrestler coschek is and coschek is half the wreslter GSP is…. LOL MMA is Stagnating!

• Dufresne says:

Kimbo was at least 225, he weighed in at exactly 225 and I can’t imagine that he would cut weight after a weigh in. It’s not daly, it’s Daley. It’s in the title for Pete’s sake. Oh, and Koscheck. Not coschek. Sorry, pet peeves.