Shogun destroys Machida, Koscheck grinds out Daley, Meathead humbles Kimbo at UFC 113

There’s a new sheriff in town in the UFC light heavyweight division as Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has taken his place as the undisputed best light heavyweight fighter in the world this evening with a devastating first round knockout of Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida.

A looping overhand right to the temple of Machida sent the former champion directly to the canvas where Shogun mounted his fallen foe and finished him off with a savage series of punches to the chin that left Lyoto completely unconscious midway through the opening round.

There is no doubt of who the king of the hill is at 205 pounds after this evening. Let the pound for pound debate rage on.

Shogun captured the light heavyweight crown during UFC 113 this evening from the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec Canada.

Josh Koscheck earned his crack at Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight championship and a spot as a coach on TUF 12 utilizing his superior wrestling ability to keep Paul Daley pinned to the canvas for the majority of the welterweight showdown between the pair; and Daley likely earned a lengthy suspension for landing a left hook to the chin of Koscheck immediately following the bout’s conclusion.

Matt “Meathead” Mitrione humbled former Youtube brawler turned mixed martial artist Kimbo Slice over two rounds during the UFC 113 showdown between fellow heavy handed heavyweights. Mitrione utilized crushing leg kicks to tenderize the thigh of Kimbo and came out on top of the majority of exchanges between the two before taking the fight to the mat where he finished Slice off with a prolonged session of good old fashioned ground and pound.

Also on the main card was Alan Belcher submitting Patrick Cote following an exciting back and forth battle, and Jeremy Stephens edging out Sam Stout in a brutal stand-up war via split decision.

The undercard was packed full of action packed bouts as Marcus Davis dropped “The Irish Hand Grenade” on Jonathan Goulet with a second round TKO, Joe Doerkson upset Tom Lawlor via rear naked choke, and Jason MacDonald destroyed his own ankle in a freak accident.

A full list of results from UFC 113 are below:

John Salter def. Jason MacDonald via TKO (injury) – Round 1 – (MacDonald broke his ankle while dropping back for an attempted guillotine choke)

Mike “Joker” Guymon def. Yoshiyuki Yoshida via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Joey Beltran def. Tim Hague via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 29-28)

Johny Hendricks def. T.J. Grant via majority decision (29-27, 29-27, 28-28)

Marcus Davis def. Jonathan Goulet via TKO – Round 2

Joe Doerksen def. Tom Lawlor via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2

Alan Belcher def. Patrick Cote via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2

Matt Mitrione def. Kimbo Slice via TKO – Round 2

Jeremy Stephens def. Sam Stout via split decision (30-27, 29-28, 28-29)

Josh Koscheck def. Paul Daley via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua def. Lyoto Machida via knockout – Round 1

• Niv says:

My money is firmly on Rua, the crown has finally made it onto the Kings head.

• JBAR says:

Shogun vs Bones Jones would be a good fight to see.

• MMApride19 says:

Fianlly, I’m so happy for Rua! He earned the title last year and he proved once again that he is the best LHW fighter on earth.As long as he stays healthy and focused that UFC title will remain firmly around his waist.An epic fight and another epic finish could be in the works if a Spider vs Shogun match is ever set.My money is firmly on Rua, the crown has finally made it onto the Kings head.Congratulations to Shogun Rua and all his fans that never ceased to believe in him.  (Quote)

Too right! I put alot of money on this fight (seriously) on Shogun to win by KO. Not only has one of my favourite fighters won, but iv also made a nice winning out of it!!! 😀 I was confident he would KO Machida, however i thought it would be mid way through the fight. Even more pleased it was quicker!

EXTREMELY happy for Shogun.

Going to be difficult for someone to beat him, but tbh until somebody defends that LHW title more than twice, im not counting anything out….

• MMApride19 says:

Shogun vs Bones Jones would be a good fight to see.  (Quote)

That fight will happen if Shogun defends his title against winner of Rashad vs Rampage, and then if Jon Jones wins who ever he fights next. He has almost guarenteed his title shot should he beat his next opponent (which almost certainly will be a top contender). I agree, it will be a very exciting fight. Maybe Machidas next fight will be against Jon Jones haha 😀 ? Just a thought.

• Rich S. says:

Incredible.

• moosebaby02 says:

first off thank you too my boy Brendon…… a well put together night. the penuts was key. sorry bout the mess
    hats off to Rua. i like them both and was chearing for dragon but it is what it is. what a show of respect knowing when the fight is over and to STOP landing strikes when you know its done instead of the old “keep punching until the reg tells you to stop.” He knew it was done and left it alone. CLASS. Congrats to Shogun and i will galdly hand over my cash after that fight. F U BRO. A case of MGD is it???

• moosebaby02 says:

That fight will happen if Shogun defends his title against winner of Rashad vs Rampage, and then if Jon Jones wins who ever he fights next. He has almost guarenteed his title shot should he beat his next opponent (which almost certainly will be a top contender). I agree, it will be a very exciting fight. Maybe Machidas next fight will be against Jon Jones haha ? Just a thought.  (Quote)

i agree but his next fight Vladimir Matyushenko is not

• fetussandwich says:

I agree moose. What a class act Rua was knowing when to stop hitting Machida and get up. Now the question is raised: who will be next–Rampage or Evans? Loaded question. Both their wrestling nullifies one another. Rashad is faster, but Rampage has more power. My heart says Rampage, head says Evans. Who the fuck knows. Regardless, it’s refreshing to see another of the UFC’s divisions passing the torch to another champion. Keeps things interesting.

• Makington says:

Amen Shogun fans. I used to feel like such a weiner after his first 2 fights in the UFC for supporting him and sticking with him. Although I thought he would and did win the first fight and was cheering for him, I didn’t think he’d be able to beat Lyoto. But knock him the hell out?! Man, I was outta my seat cheering like a mad man. So I’ll admit being wrong, but I don’t mind cause Shogun is the man.

I still love Lyoto, and I hope this doesn’t affect him mentally too much. He was just starting to knock people out so I hope he doesn’t get too gun shy and become even more elusive to the point of not fighting.

If Dana has even a shred of integrity he will boot Daley from the UFC. He let go of Sobral for holding a choke for a second too long, but I still think this is just as bad. He caught Kos off guard so he wasn’t ready, after the bell, with malicious intent, and with a guy that can hit like Paul, that’s even more dangerous. He could have done serious, serious damage with that shot, and Dana shouldn’t just let it slide with a suspension. I know Kos played possum with the knee but that was unnacceptable as some sort of payback.

It’s not a good year for Blackhouse so far. After being so good last year they have seen Big Nog get KO’d along with Machida, while Silva has lost more fans than them both with his performance at Abu Dhabi.

Overall though, a fantastic end to a fantastic night. Aside from Daley, Dana probably couldn’t be happier.

• JBAR says:

MMA Live reported that Daley has been cut and will never fight in UFC again.

• moosebaby02 says:

MMA Live reported that Daley has been cut and will never fight in UFC again.  (Quote)

but if he won that ass clown would have had a title shot. i guess it took another ass clown too expsose him for what he really is and what the UFC was trying not to show. what the fuck could have he been thinking at the time??? Maybe if i get a sucker punch in they will give me another shot at something im not ready for????

• Makington says:

I guess he wasn’t thinking moose. Really the only explanation.

• Makington says:

I think it’d be interesting to know what they were saying to eachother.

• moosebaby02 says:

I guess he wasn’t thinking moose. Really the only explanation.But thank you Dana for doing what’s right. I know we all felt like hitting Kos after the invisible knee that almost killed him but that was obviously too far.  (Quote)

dont get me stated on that F ing knee. and as cocky as that bastard kos is he will admit to it later that he knew that it didnt hit him. still no reason to throw you life in the UFC away daley.

• moosebaby02 says:

Btw, sorry to double post, but did anyone catch what Kos and Daley were saying to eachother during the fight? I could see their mouths moving as they (probably) insulted eachother, which might explain why Daley lost his cool more than he normally would have.I think it’d be interesting to know what they were saying to eachother.  (Quote)

i would too??? but daley had all the mouth coming into fight just as kos did. he knew the game plan and had nothing to stop it. so why didnt he shut his mouth up and work on what EVERYONE IN THE WORLD knew was his weakness so it wouldnt have come to that point?,,,,or was he just in there to cash a check?

• sides666 says:

poor machida. i hope anderson gets his shit together so he will be allowed to decimate mr. rua.

• mu_shin says:

Congratulations to the new lightheavyweight champion, from a huge Machida fan. Shogun put up, and now all we can do is shut up and applaud the best light heavy in the UFC.

On a side note, am I the only fan who had no idea that Machida broke his hand in the last fight, and had surgery a week after the first Rua fight? Never heard about it, never read about it, for all the press Uriah Faber got for his broken hand, I’m wondering if it was just me in the dark, or was this common knowledge?

• hindsightufuk says:

was it only me who thought Lyoto looked way off in this fight? i thought he looked softer than usual but also after he got the first take down he was shaking his arms out after the second take down he was on wobbly legs like he was already out of gas. we were all sitting there wondering what was up with him, i think Shogun saw it to. Props to Rua though, i was another one embarressed by his first couple UFC performances after talking him up so much.

Anyone see the Jason Macdonald injury? too bad, just made it back in and now he’s done for a year or so.
    Goulet has the weakest chin in MMA, which was a shame. if can avoid getting hit he’s an ok fighter. at least this one made it past the 11 second mark.
    Tom Lawlor looked like a mini Dan Severn
    Stephens Stout was another coin toss decision, coulda gone either way
    Someone needs to say something in public about Josh taking a dive, looked like such a cunt. There is no place for it in this sport. I seen it in Japan a few times, feigning injury to get a break/DQ/point taken away. I agree with Paul getting cut the fucking idiot (still gonna support him tho), but someone needs to interview Josh and ask him why he went down like a fairy when there was no contact

• neijia says:

[quote]was it only me who thought Lyoto looked way off in this fight?[/quote]

I don’t think he was off. He won the two clinch exchanges with takedowns, had a muay thai knee to the body. Has obviously been learning to check low kicks since the first match. Shogun just caught Lyoto’s rhythm perfectly with the right hand just as Lyoto was going in with his left, whereas all other fighters have been thrown off rhythm by this entry. Broke the rhythm of the break-other-guys-rhythm master and caught him. I think these are still the top two guys at LHW… Rampage or Evans can’t take Shogun. Jon Jones, maybe. Will be interesting how Machida adapts now.

• neijia says:

Oh yeah the Kos Daley match was just all f***ed up. Good, boring lay and pray win. Ridiculous antics on both sides, though.

Too bad Kos isn’t gonna improve in other areas enough by the time he gets to fight GSP again.

• JBAR says:

If the knee hit Kos at all it only grazed him but if Daley had not thrown an illegal strike to start with there would be no discussion about this. Kos should be nominated for an oscar for that acting job and maybe change his nickname to the milkman cause he milked it for all it was worth. Glad to see between rounds the ref got it right with regards to the point.

• BigDave says:

Kos and Daley are both bitches and I could care less if i ever see either of them fight ever again, Both are classless. Kos now gets another chance to be destroyed by the greatest fighter in MMA today by far GSP.

Congrats to Shogun on his impressive win. I’ll admit I thought Lyoto would take this fight but as I have a tremendous amount of respect for both of these fighters I am glad to see that there was a clear winner and that it wasn’t left to incompetent official to judge.

Speaking of judges Although I had Sam Stout winning a split decision in his fight with stephens I’m not suprised or upset with the decision but what I am pissed about is how in the hell one judge called the fight 30-27. I don’t think I would get much arguement from anyone saying that Stout won the third round but to give all three rounds to stephens makes no sence.

I fell bad for Jason Macdonald on his from what I read probably career ending injury (I have no interest in seeing it), and hope that he makes a full recovery and if he isn’t able to fight wish him all the best in his future endevours.

All in all a good night of fights now looking forward to the next few months with some super stacked cards.

• hindsightufuk says:

yep agree on both, i didnt see how Stephens could win all three either

and i bet Jasons injury will show on youtube in no time. i hate the way people need to see these injuries. When Duane Ludwig broke his ankle recentley the UFC showed it over and over. its unnecessary, it doesnt need to be shown more than once at the most. i saw a guy in a gym break his leg once and it was sickening, to the pit of my stomach, and i’ll be glad if i never see injuries like that again

• Angry Mike says:

The move of the night was Belcher’s face plant of Cote. Without that, he wouldn’t have sunk the RNC. Gotta love a guy from Ark. with a Johnny Cash tattoo, even if it’s ugly as hell.

• Rich S. says:

Machida did seem off, but I think it was something mental, not physical. He didn’t seem like his usual confident, untouchable self. Seemed like he knew Shogun was going to be able to hit him..

Maybe the closeness of the first decision, and the fact that he really got hurt by shogun, got to him..

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Machida looked soft-his body was not in peak condition-I personally think that he was intimidated by Shogun

• kuboa says:

The replay showing that Kos was merely grazed shocked me, as viewers (including judges) simply must be able to trust a fighter when he indicates he is hurt and the fight may need to be suspended. I really need to hear more from Kos to hear why fans shouldn’t lose respect for him on that count. I couldn’t help remembering the MANY halts to his fight with Rumble Johnson (another way powerful striker, interestingly enough).

Kos, say it ain’t so! You don’t need gimmicks to succeed!

• Screenplaya says:

Daley has been cut, and rightfully so. I dislike Kos as much as any other rational person, but no one deserves a sucker punch after a fight.

I really really really wish Daley hadnt done that. If he hadn’t, then we would all be talking about how Koscheck is a punk for pretending he got kneed in the head. He was so looking for a Daley DQ, but when he saw that the replay clearly indicated he was faking, he made a miraculous recovery. lol. And then when Joe Rogan asks him to talk about the cheap shot, he instead starts yelling at the fans and GSP. No class.

One might think he is purposefully setting himself up as the guy fans love to hate, but I am fairly certain that he is just a jerk…a talented one that for some reason, wants desperately to get his head caved in by the greatest welterweight in the world.