Winner of Koscheck vs. Daley to coach TUF 12 alongside GSP

New York, NY, May 7, 2010 – UFC® welterweight champion Georges “Rush” St-Pierre (20-2-0) will serve as one of the coaches on the twelfth season of Spike TV’s most popular original series ever, “The Ultimate Fighter®”. One of the most dominant fighters on the planet, St-Pierre will be coaching against the number one contender in the welterweight division, either Josh Koscheck (16-4-0) or Paul Daley (23-8-2), who square off for that honor this Saturday at UFC 113 in St-Pierre’s hometown of Montreal. The new season premieres Wednesday, September 15 at 10:00 PM ET/PT featuring some of the best unsigned fighters in the world in the lightweight division. The new season goes into production in June 2010 in Las Vegas and will last six weeks. The cast will be announced later this summer.

A native of Montreal, QB, Georges St-Pierre began training in martial arts at the age of 7, when he began learning Kyokushin karate in order to defend himself from a bully at school. He earned a black belt in this discipline before he began to expand his MMA training, achieving a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and become well versed in wrestling, boxing and Muay Thai. St-Pierre began his amateur fighting career at the age of 16, and, since then, has established himself as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the history of mixed martial arts. A two-time UFC welterweight champion whose current reign includes four consecutive title defenses, St-Pierre’s career boasts wins over the likes of Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, Sean Sherk, Matt Serra, Jon Fitch, Thiago Alves and Dan Hardy. He was named Fighter of the Year 2009 by Sports Illustrated.

A trainer on the fourth season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” St-Pierre is one of mixed martial arts’ biggest mainstream stars holding major national endorsement deals and having appeared in two movies, “Death Warrior” and “Never Surrender.”

St-Pierre’s potential opposing coaches on the show are Josh Koscheck, an alumnus from the first season of “The Ultimate Fighter” and member of the famed American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, CA who is looking for a rematch with St-Pierre after dropping a decision to him in 2007 at UFC 74; and Paul Daley, a devastating striker that trains with Team Rough House in Nottingham, UK that has knocked out his opponents in 18 of his 23 mixed martial arts victories. The two meet this Saturday in Montreal in at UFC 113 with a date with St-Pierre on “The Ultimate Fighter” and, later, inside the Octagon™, on the line.

Spike TV is available in 98.6 million homes and is a division of MTV Networks. A unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), MTV Networks is one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. Spike TV’s Internet address is www.spike.com and for up-to-the-minute and archival press information and photographs, visit Spike TV’s press site at http://www.spike.com/press.

• Guthookd says:

OK. TUF needs to end already. The winner and GSP could be fighting as soon as July if it weren’t for that show. It’s half way entertaining yes, but as many others have said, I’d rather see it presented like a Bellator tournament at this point, with the winner getting a shot at the number one contender in their class. The “house” drama is getting old as hell.

• fanoftna33 says:

Now this means even IF Sheilds signs with the UFC he will not be able to fight GSP until March of next year. With this TUF scedualed to film in September and October and Air in December, Kos-Daley vs GSP will not happen until Janurary(unless there is a injury). Crap why announce the #1 contender then have them fight 9 months later.

• Angry Mike says:

I’m a little surprised it’s between Daley and Koscheck. There are better choices for coaching and also for fighting GSP. Maybe it’s time to have actual coaches, like Jackson and Delagrotti. Then you can have whoever you want on the card for TUF.

• Dufresne says:

If I were going into that house I would definitely want to be on GSP’s team. There’s really no comparison in the over all talent level. Plus, could you imagine having to work out with either Kos or Daley as they spouted about how they were going to dominate GSP and “shock the world” for 6 weeks straight?

Guthooked, normally I would disagree with you about ending TUF, mostly because I love having a free MMA bout every Wednesday night. But if Bellator can finally convince Comcast to stop screwing with it’s air time, I would gladly trade TUF for Bellator every week. And if the UFC decided to do a Bellator style tourney also, well I think I’d piss my pants in happiness.

• twyg says:

Like I said in an earlier thread Shields is sitting on the sideline for over a year. They could toss him a scrub, but anything can happen in the cage. Dana should just name Shields the coach, and have the winner of Kos/Daley fight the winner of Fitch/Alves. Alas I am not the president of the UFC but this to me is the best idea

• Makington says:

LOL imagine having Paul Daley as a coach and knowing that you not only could have had GSP and other Greg Jackson folks training you. but having them train against you.

I don’t know why Dana insists on holding up a division for so long twice a year. Atleast Chuck and Tito made sense as neither fighter is relevant in the standings but still popular enough to have uses.

Is anyone actually excited to see C-level fighters with 0 cardio talk trash for 30 minutes, and then have the sloppiest fight for another 30 minutes? It’s not like there will be any tension between coaches either. It will be Kos or Daley saying they will finally be the one to figure out GSP, while GSP talks about how either fighter is somehow his biggest challenge to date.

• MickeyC says:

I agree with having sheilds as coach. Get him signed and set a date. To be honest I would like to see the winner of Kos/Daley fight Fitch.

• Milliniar says:

Champs should not coach TUF without a format change, this almost makes me want to see a draw. Just so they have to rethink the plan.

• Rich S. says:

I was already rooting for Daley, but now I’m praying..

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

after Josh does the most stupid game plan-Paul daley coaching the next season of TUF should be another snooze fest of non real Americans

• This is definitely OK with me. Tying up the Welterweight title for the TUF 12 season should give other welterweight fighters a little more time to get a little better. GSP is too far ahead in the skills department, whether you like watching him fight or not is a different story.

• LiverPunch says:

MMA is my favorite sport and I love it dearly but I hate reality TV and I don’t really care for this show. Anyway, I hope Koscheck wins and gets the shot because I think he is one of the top 5 WWs in the world along with Shields, Diaz, Fitch and GSP. Daley is lucky if he is more than a flash in the top 10 pan in my humble opinion.

• crane_style says:

I understand why the UFC is doing this. GSP is one of the most popular fighters and a great ambassador for the sport, so putting him on prime time TV is a smart move.

However, I agree with a lot of people here are saying. Why such a long lay off for the champ? After the Alves fight, he had to come back from an injury. But another 6 months between fights again?

GSP is in his prime, so I don’t think the long layoff is going to help his legacy as a fighter.

• moosebaby02 says:

This is definitely OK with me. Tying up the Welterweight title for the TUF 12 season should give other welterweight fighters a little more time to get a little better. GSP is too far ahead in the skills department, whether you like watching him fight or not is a different story.  (Quote)

good point never thought about it that way