Scott Smith vs. Cung Le II booked for June 26 Strikeforce

Cung Le wants another crack at Scott Smith following the battle waged between the two in December of last year, and considering how the bout unfolded, it’s hard to blame him.

According to a recent report from MMAWeekly, Le will get his wish shortly as the pair are expected to meet once again, this time on June 26 from San Jose while airing live on Showtime.

Le battered Smith about the legs, body and face in the first two and a half rounds of the pair’s first meeting before a well placed punch from Smith brough an abrubt conclusion to what had been up to that point, a one-sided mauling in Cung’s favor.

The bout between the two will be the first return to action for both middleweights since facing one another in December.

• MickeyC says:

Hard for me to pick this one. Le has been out a while, You could see thye rust in their last fight. Smith has what it takes but has lost fights in the past that he should have won.The winner will be at the top of the devision again. I guess I will go with Smith, but researve the right to be wrong.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Le takes this one, if he hadnt of gassed out he had Smith pretty hurt last fight. No knock on Smith as he is a solid fighter but Le probably takes the rematch, the goes on to fight for the title against Lawler or Souza.

• Makington says:

Shields hasn’t already left, has he? I know it’s almost guaranteed but I guess there’s a minute possibility that he wants to stay with SF.

Anything’s possible I guess.

• Rich S. says:

Le has a great shot at redemption here.

I love Scott Smith, but I guarantee he comes in with the same gameplan, and fights the same way..

It’s up to Le to change the outcome.

• Guthookd says:

I say Le takes this one. Like Fan said, it was just his conditioning that failed him last time…his technique was superior. I have a lot of respect for fighters like Smith, who just go in there and bang like there’s no tomorrow, but Le has (or maybe had, who knows) skills that Smith will never attain, IMO.

Le by decision.

• Dufresne says:

I like this rematch, and like mos people here I think Le will win this one. I’m gonna pick late tko or decision.

My biggest question though is why weren’t these too either matched up or fighting separately on the CBS card? You have a guy in Smith who’s guaranteed to be exciting and you have a fairly decent name in Kung Le coming off of his movie stint. I know they had 3 potentially good title fights already on the card, but these two could have really helped the dismal ratings.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I have got Le by second round stoppage

Le was good for the win last time just got caught… I see him throughing atleast 2 dozen unanswered kicks and getting the win

• Connor Cobain says:

Scott Smith and James Irvin are basically one. They get beat up right until they land that one hitter quitter. I can see captain comeback landing enother one. War Scott! War!

• mu_shin says:

If Cung Le loses the rematch, it will be because he didn’t give the blood and sweat he needs to in training for this contest. I agree with all the comments respecting Scott Smith, and it was a great win for him in the first fight, after getting beaten so badly, but Le’s kicks are unparalleled in the sport. If Cung puts in the time, lines up the sparring partners and goes at this like a true warrior should, it’s hard to see him losing a second time.