Dana White confirms winner of Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley gets next title shot

There has been much speculation concerning which UFC welterweight would be next up for current title holder, Georges St. Pierre. Could it be the winner of the UFC 113 showdown between Josh Koscheck and Paul Daley, or will it be the winner of the upcoming rematch between former GSP foes Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves?

Today UFC President Dana White put that speculation to rest during the pre-UFC 113 press conference where the head honcho revealed that it would in fact be the winner of the Koscheck vs. Daley clash that will be next in line for a crack at GSP and the UFC welterweight championship.

UFC 113 takes place this Saturday evening, May 9, from Montreal, Canada. The main event of the evening will be a light heavyweight title clash rematch between Lyoto Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

Koscheck is currently on a two-fight win streak in the UFC with decisive stoppages over Frank Trigg and Anthony johnson, while Daley has also won back-to-bacvk tussles in the promotion with recent knockouts of Martin Kampmann and Dustin Hazelett.

• MickeyC says:

Should be good modivation. I have to go with Kos. I think he is all around the better fighter, but this has become personal with him like it was with deagio.

• Dufresne says:

I honestly don’t know if I can get excited about GSP fighting either of these guys. He already manhandled Kos and I haven’t seen anything in Kos’s game to make me think he has improved to the level to really challenge GSP. Daley would be a little easier to get behind if GSP hadn’t just dismantled Hardy and Alves about a year ago.

If Daley wins decisively, preferably by KO, I might be able to muster some enthusiasm for that match up, but until I see something dramatic, this just looks like another victim for GSP’s all around superior abilities.

• crane_style says:

Koscheck seems like one of those guys that keeps reversing direction. He learns new skills, but then gets over-confident, taken out but them comes back with different skills.

He sounds like a jerk, but then gets humble, but then sounds like a jerk again.

He seems to have evolved, and is ready for a title shot, so I think he loses this one. Maybe badly. Paul

Daley is no joke.

• crane_style says:

Just the possibility of a ho-hum display of domination of a great athelte by a great MMA artist?

Based on this rationale, you would also find little drama in Micheal Jordan, Joe Montana and Muhammad Ali’s greatest performances?

• bigbadjohn says:

i will enthusiastically disagree with any assertion that Daley and GSP would be the better fight. I will not pay to see Daley get taken down at will no matter how much the ufc tries to convince me he has a chance. Or maybe i will because Daleys such a mouthpiece

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Kos will take this fight, but I really hope the rumors of the winner of this fight and GSP being the next coaches on TUF. I dont think I can stand a whole season of Kos constantly telling us how much better he is now and how mentally weak GSP is. The fight itself would be pretty good as Kos has a great chance to keep GSP out of his comfort zone for good portions of this fight.

• Makington says:

I don’t think Daley would be as huge a douche in real life. Like Hardy, he knows how to sell himself to the point where people are actually interested in him and believe he is a contender for GSP. A perfect example is this fight even. Daley has shown extreme holes in his game to the exact fighter that Koscheck is. Every single time he has fought someone who can wrestle like Koscheck, he has done pretty poorly. Yet he is good enough at hyping a fight that people think he has a legit chance at not only beating Koscheck, but getting a title shot and atleast making it competitive with GSP.

Hell, I’m excited for this fight even though I realize it basically goes against what I just wrote, but I don’t care. I’m more excited for this fight than I would be for either fighter to take on GSP again. A win for either fighter could make a decent claim for a title shot even though I personally believe Alves/Fitch makes more sense, except nobody wants to see Thiago fight for the belt again so soon, and nobody wants to see Fitch fight period.

I see Kos taking this fight without too much trouble, But Daley has hyped himself enough for me to believe he does have a small punchers-chance.

• sides666 says:

I think kos will take this one of course it will be in the first for sure the sad thing is that neither man has a chance of contending with gsp the fact is daley is a one dimensional fighter and kos has improved striking but its still not as good as gsp stand up and as far as the wrestling goes gsp is more dominate so neither match up is that enticing to me gsp needs to move up or down in weight to start challenging himself a bit more before he gets comfortable

• Creature says:

Anyone else think that if koscheck wins it sets up a very exciting striker war between paul daley and anthony johnson? or johnson and hardy?

• Niv says:

I’m a huge GSP fan but there’s no way either of these guys should be fighting for the title.

Just another ho hum title match-up that will be hyped as a credible challenge.

I really think the Fitch vs Alves winner should get the shot, and if Alves doesn’t get cleared then let Fitch have a go at it.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Paulo Thiago deserves the next shot bar none

• twyg says:

How interesting would rhe WW division be without GSP? Same can be said of MW without spider. Of any of the before mentioned names does anyone really think these guys got anything more then a Frank Edgar chance. As far as coaching TUF,that means Shields sits on the sideline for a year. Or they toss him a scrub before the GSP fight.

• hindsightufuk says:

wow, cant believe how many people moan at the chance to see Georges fight again