Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara set for UFC 118

A middleweight scrap between Alessio Sakara and Jorge Rivera will go down a UFC 118 according to MMA Junkie.com.

While the fight has yet to be signed, both fighters have verbally agreed to fight at the big show in Boston. Both fighters are coming off of three fight winning streaks in which they finished two out of their three opponents.

Sakara has been with the promotion since October of 2005 and has gone 6-4 in the promotion with victories over Elvis Sinosic, Thales Leites, and recently James Irvin.

The heavy-handed Italian originally started in the UFC at 205 pounds, but has gone 4-1 since making the move down to 185.

Sakara was originally scheduled to face Nate Marquardt at UFC 116, but pulled out after the death of his father.

Rivera was a competitor on the Comeback season of The Ultimate Fighter and is considered to be a fan favorite for his good fights. Rivera has gone 6-2 in the promotion since his return to the promotion with victories over TUF alumni Kendall Grove and Nate Quarry.

• MCM says:

I think this is better match up than Marquardt for Sakara. A win would move (either fighter) up the ranks but a loss to Marquardt would have crushed any momentum he had. But who are they gonna get for Nate for 116?

• moosebaby02 says:

this is a better fight for Sakara. But Rivera is no push over as well. This stand and bang fight i want to see.

MCM i was think the same thing as well about the Marquardt fight. and i dont see anyone who is in the same kinda of caliber fighter that is available

• MCM says:

I just noticed Nate the Great is no longer on the fight card for 116 at UFC.com.
    Maybe they’re pushing him to 118 as well to try to build up some kinda hype between these two if they both win. Who know’s, weirder stuff has happened in this sport.

• Creature says:

I would like 2 see Marquardt vs Bisping, if bisping beats dan miller that is, They both have good stand up and ground, that would be a good fight IMO

• fanoftna33 says:

this is still a very tough fight for Sakara, if Jorge comes in the right frame of mind(which he has been lately) i see Jorge getting the tko. But if Jorge doesnt take Alessio seriously then he will probably lose badly.

• fanoftna33 says:

Just read Nate is expexted to fight Palharis, this will be a great fight if true.

Let ’emm bang

• Guthookd says:

I think this one will depend on George’s conditioning. Quarry almost had him in that last fight, if his own conditioning hadn’t failed. Allessio seems to have a full tank every time he goes out.

A great match up. Much better than the match up with Marquardt (better for Allessio that is).

And yeah, if you’re right Fan, about them matching Marquardt with Palhares, that will be a good one. I will be rooting for Marquardt 100%.

• moosebaby02 says:

Nate vs Palhares would be sick

• Rich S. says:

Awesome fight..

Sakara has had some serious problems with his chin in the past, which always leaves me with a little doubt in the back of my mind, but since the move to Middleweight he’s been on a tear..

I think Sakara will be significantly quicker and take a TKO..

• Dufresne says:

I enjoy both of these fighters, but both of them have been shown to have a weak jaw and yet both are also pretty powerful punchers. I give the power to Jorge and the technicality to Sakara. I personally hope Jorge wins the fight, but I’m really on the fence on who will win.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I see this fight as a “toss up”-with my gut feeling leaning towards Jorge-on a side note I see Palhares defeatin Nate by dominating fashion and finally getting the respect he skillfully deserves