Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Jason Brilz booked for UFC 114 with Forrest Griffin injured

The UFC appears to have found a replacement opponent for Forrest Griffin in nearly record time, as no more than a few hours after the news came down that a shoulder injury had faced the former UFC light heavyweight champion out of his expected UFC 114 showdown with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira has it been revealed that a replacent opponent has already been tabbed to fill the vacancy.

It looks like it’s going to be Jason Brilz stepping up to face off with Nogueira with just four weeks notice. Verbal agreements are already in place for the bout and the fight is expected to be finalized soon according to a recent report at MMAJunkie.com.

The pair will face off during UFC 114 on May 29 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Nogueira is currently on a six-fight win streak and recently made his UFC debut a successful one with a stunning first round knockout of Luiz Cane during UFC 106, while Brilz holds a UFC record of 3-1 and most recently defeated Eric Schafer via unanimous decision during the first “UFC on Versus” event.

• moosebaby02 says:

ok i guess

• Dufresne says:

Brilz has pretty good wrestling, but Rogerio’s ground game isn’t exactly terrible. Plus, you have to get past that Olympic caliber boxing to even attempt a takedown.

• edub says:

I really wish they would have made Jon Jones vs Lil Nog.

• MCM says:

I agree edub. Jones vs. Nog would have been great, but I think it’s too little time for Bones to get in shape. You can’t go into a fight with a guy like Lil’ Nog without a really good training camp. That’s why Brilz won’t make it out of the second round.
    Bader would have made for an interesting fight though.

• hindsightufuk says:

nyeah, kinda dont really care about this one. i’ll be stoked to see Nog fight anyone but i’m not overly fussed about Jason Brilz. Its a damn shame forrest got hurt

That was a quick…So much for keeping it a co- main event.

• matt says:

I think the ufc could have pick a more suitable replacement for one of their rising contenders in the lightheavy weight division. Jason Brilz is 3-1 in the ufc but he has not fought any of the ufc’s top competition and lil nog is one of the best in the world. I would rather see thiago silva or jon jones step up to the plate and replace the injured forrest griffin. Jones is 4-1 in the ufc and should be 5-0 if not for the dq against matt hammil. Jones I believe has the all around skill to beat lil nog. I think he can win a stand up battle and I do not see lil nog being able to get him to the ground. I know the ufc wants to bring him along slowly but he has built up a pretty big fan following and is surrounded by huge hype. A win could propel him to title contention and super stardom and a loss at this point in his career is nothing more than a little bump in the road. A loss to lil nog at this point does not hurt his standing in the division one bit. Also I think Thiago Silva is a more suitable replacement then jason brilz. Silva was one fight away from the title when he took on current champ Machida at ufc 94. He then went on to impressively knock out Jardine and put in a very strong performance against former champion Rashad evans, with a injured back. I still think Silva is a top contender and he should be fighting some one more notable then ufc fail out and recent returnee Tim Boetsch. I think Jon Jones vs. lil nog and Matsusheynko vs. Brilz or Silva vs. lil nog and Boetsch vs. Brilz makes more sense.

• Spoken says:

I get the feeling that this sets up a fight between the winner of this and the winner of jones/matyushenko. I thought the same thing when forrest was in there as well. I think the UFC expected lil nog to win anyways, which gives him a two fight win streak and a big name to sell in a fight with bones for a title shot. Not to mention Jones will have beaten one of the few men to hold a past victory over lil nog. Even if Jones loses, which I think few people expect (including DW and Joe Silva), a rubber match between Matyushenko and Lil Nog would be easy to sell for a title shot as well. My point is, this is a safe way to set up a brand new contender for the belt instead of setting up a rematch with one of the very many past title holders. As stacked as the division is, i dont think the ufc wants to keep rehashing all combinations between machida, shogun, rampage, and rashad.