Thiago Silva vs. Tim Boetsch set for UFC 117

A light-heavyweight fight between Brazilian striker Thiago Silva and the returning Tim Boetsch has been booked for UFC 117.

The news of the anticipated match-up comes courtesy of a recent report from MMAJunkie.com.

It was originally rumored that Silva would face Ryan Bader at this event, but Bader had hand surgery this month and won’t be able to start training till late may.

Silva is looking to rebound after suffering a unanimous decision loss to Rashad Evan at UFC 108. It was later reported that Silva fought with three herniated discs and gutted it out. It was Silva’s second loss in MMA, with his first loss was against current UFC light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida.

Boetsch is making his return to the UFC after going 3-0 outside of the promotion. Boetsch finished two of the three fights with a guillotine choke, and had gone 2-2 within the promotion. His most famous fight was against David Heath at UFC 81, a fight that he won by throwing Heath into the cage and pounding him out. The throw became popular with fans, as many began to dub the throw “Redneck Judo.”

UFC 117 takes place on August 7 from the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.

• Dufresne says:

For some reason I love watching Boetsch fight, but I can’t give him the nod here. If Thiago really was fighting with 3 herniated discs and he still went the distance with Rashad, and managed to rock him a few times, then I think he’ll be much better in this fight. I just hope we don’t see him doing that showboating crap if he rocks him.

• Guthookd says:

I like Tim too. He’s got some Muay Thai basics that he makes work. Little front push kick here and there….Couple slow-motion knees.

I think Silva should be able to overcome that without problem though. Silva is much faster on the feet and has way quicker hands.

Silva by KO round 1.

• hindsightufuk says:

could be an entertaining fight

just heard Forrest is out of his fight with Nog, absolutely gutted

• moosebaby02 says:

I was really banking on Thiago beating Rashad but if he really was hurting while he was in there like that then i can understand why he lost. never heard him bitching about it. Thiago has this one hands down

• fanoftna33 says:

could be an entertaining fightjust heard Forrest is out of his fight with Nog, absolutely gutted  (Quote)

That is bad news.

• fanoftna33 says:

This should be entertaining, although if Tim wins here I cant wait to hear what injury prevented Thiago from winning this fight.

• bigbadjohn says:

Thiago better work on his stamina, 2 rds of Rashad takedowns and he could barely hold his arms up. Hes lucky Suga almost got goated in to his showboating otherwise that would have been a humiliating loss

• Angry Mike says:

I used to think Silva was unstoppable, and then he got ktfo’d by Machida. Boetsch has more power than Machida, imo, and I’m not sure that Silva is much quicker than Boetsch. I think this one could be more competitive than expected, and if Boetsch wins, I wouldn’t consider it to be that much of an upset.

• Guthookd says:

Boetsch

To tell you the truth I’ll be rooting for Boetsch, but if he actually wins I will consider it a HUGE upset.

• Guthookd says:

Oooops. I meant to quote you Mike.