twitter google

Nate Marquardt vs. Alessio Sakara scrapped from UFC 116

A previously expected middleweight showdown at UFC 116 between Nate Marquardt and Alessio Sakara has been cancelled.

The news comes courtesy of F4Wonline.com, who relayed the information that Sakara’s father had recently passed away, causing Alessio to pull out of the fight.

Marquardt is currently expected to remain a part of UFC 116, although no opponent has been announced as of this time.

Sakara would have been entering the bout on a three-fight win streak, while Marquardt was hoping to bounce back into the win column on the heels of a recent lopsided unanimous decision defeat at the hands of Chael Sonnen.

UFC 116 will take place on July 3 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

6 COMMENTS
  • Dufresne says:

    Sucks for Sakara, I completely understand taking time away when something like that happens.

  • fanoftna33 says:

    Very sad news for Sakara

  • Guthookd says:

    Yeah, that is sad for Alessio for sure, compouned by having to withdraw from the biggest opportunity he’s had in a while. I hope Dee Dubya understands and gives him another huge challenge next time out. Maybe Maia.

  • sigmund says:

    marquardt vs belfort?!

  • Makington says:

    I still don’t think Belfort would be ok to fight by then. I think I read somewhere that he is targeting a fall return.

    I’d also still like to see him get that title shot rather than work his way up the rankings to get a title shot that he already had. It would make sense considering he hasn’t actually fought at 185 but I still think he has a pretty good chance at taking out The Spider. It could be though that he fights Chael Sonnen for the belt next if he can implement his gameplan of takedown after consecutive takedown, which I think is actually possible.

  • guitarplaya172 says:

    Nate Marquardt vs Mark Munoz?

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.