Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves rematch likely for UFC 117 in Oakland

If everything goes according to plan it appears as though highly respected 170-pounder Jon Fitch will be making his case for a second title-shot less than an hour’s drive from his home-base at American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose.

The former Purdue Boilermaker wrestling captain recently took to his Twitter to hint at the news while also polling fans on whether or not they want to see him avoid a pair of clippers before his next appearance in the Octagon (4-1 in favor of an “epic” mane thus far according to Fitch).

“I’m fighting, fighting… back, back… in Cali, Cali… Do you all think I should shave my head or keep growing my hair out for my fight in Aug.?”

UFC 117 will be taking place on August 7th in Oakland, California and is currently headlined by Anderson Silva defending his middleweight championship against outspoken contender Chael Sonnen.

Though no official opponent has been named for Fitch, it is expected a rematch with Thiago Alves will finally take place assuming the American Top Team striker is medically cleared to compete.

Alves was forced to withdraw from a previously scheduled bout with Fitch at UFC 111 due to a brain irregularity detected during pre-fight testing, as well as one at UFC 107 due to a knee injury sustained during training.

The two top welterweights initially squared off in June 2006 at Ultimate Fight Night 5 resulting in a second-round TKO win for Fitch.

• fanoftna33 says:

If Alves isnt cleared who the heck else in the WW division would make a good fight with Fitch? Cant see him taking on Hardy because it would look like Hardy’s last fight minus the submission attempts, Maybe Condit but I am not sure if he is healthy enough yet.

• Dufresne says:

I hope it is Alves as I think he might actually make this an exciting fight. His ground game isn’t the best, but he’s powerful enough to hopefully stuff a few takedowns and make Fitch stand and exchange for a bit.

• MMApride19 says:

• fanoftna33 says:

To be honest, id much prefer to see Dan Hardy vs Alves, as this would be a VERY exciting fight, i dont really want to see Fitch vs Alves 2… And Hardy vs Alves would make alot of sense. As both are contenders in the WW division…  (Quote)

Hardy vs Alves would make a hell of a great fight, I wouldnt want to bet on that one though because it would be very even.

• MCM says:

If Alves can’t make it, the only

Ranking wise, I think the only fights that might make sense are Hughes or Serra. I know that sounds weird, but they are both former champs that still have good name recognition who are coming off wins. Unless Dana can make him fight Swick, I can’t think of another name.

• fanoftna33 says:

MCM, i would put Hughes ahead of Serra there because he has 2 wins in a row, one being Serra. That might acually make for a decent match up as Hughes has solid wrestling and way better than average submissions. I didnt even think of Hughes but that would make a interesting match up. Swick has fallen so far down the rankings he needs to win 2 or 3 fights before even being considered for a fight like this. Id rather see Fithch rematch with Paulo Thiago before he fought Swick.

• MCM says:

I threw Serra in there cause the fight with Hughes was so close and he recently knocked Trigg out of the UFC so people are starting to rank him again. I think Hughes would be a bigger feather in his cap.

• moosebaby02 says:

I threw Serra in there cause the fight with Hughes was so close and he recently knocked Trigg out of the UFC so people are starting to rank him again.I think Hughes would be a bigger feather in his cap.

very true cause i thought serra won that one as well.

• MickeyC says:

I just hope it goes down this time. Should be good, Fitch better go in to finish this one. Alves is tuff, I would like to see Hughs fight again. .After Gracie, I think he’s ready work again.

• I feel sorry for all the people that bought tickets to the first Vancouver show. That card sucks so hard. This was the single best fight on that card.

• elkymbo says:

Yaaaaaay, another Fitch fight whoop dee doo! I know I’m gonna get thumbs down but in my opinion he is the single most boring fighter on the ufc roster.
    I respect his abilities but even in a ppv I get up for a beer while Fitch fights.

• moosebaby02 says:

i just hope Alves go’s in their and rips his head off

• Guthookd says:

Hey…if anyone wants free acess to the UFC Vault, the UFC is having a promo right now for 3 months free subscription. All you have to do is go to UFClive.com and enter the UPC code from a bottle of Edge Shave Gel….and here it is: 046500325229

Complete registration and there you have it. No credit card number needed or anything. That whole WEC PPV is in the Vault along with a ton of other old material. Pretty cool.

• fanoftna33 says: