Roy Nelson: I think I’m supposed to be fighting Frank Mir

With a fight rumored for UFC 116 against the towering Cheick Kongo, The Ultimate Fighter Season 10 champion Roy Nelson (15-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) recently paid a visit to the island of Oahu to corner a few of his students from his school including former TUF housemate Scott Junk (6-2-1 MMA) at the inaugural “Galaxy MMA: Worlds Collide” event on May 1 from the Neal S. Blaisdell arena in Honolulu, Hawaii.

FiveOuncesofPain.com had the chance to sit down with “Big Country” during the event’s press conference to discuss his training partner, and his upcoming bout.

During the filming of TUF season 10, Roy Nelson and Scott Junk developed a friendship that would carry on after the show. Looking to improve as a fighter, Junk enlisted the help of Nelson and took a trip to The Country Club in Las Vegas to work with Big Country.

“Scott just wanted to up his game,” said Nelson, who went on to say that he felt he ‘could help improve Junk’s fundamentals…and make his game a little bit better.’

When asked if Junk sought out Nelson’s help because Big Country owns a previous TKO victory when they faced each other in the IFL, Nelson replied, “It just happens that he [Junk] is fighting Fabiano…it’s just a coincidence.”

When speaking about his rumored upcoming fight with Cheick Kongo at UFC 116 on July 3rd, Nelson was quick to respond, “I believe that is still part of  the rumor mill, cause I think I‘m supposed to be fighting Frank Mir too.”

Nelson went on to jokingly say, “I think I might fight them all in the same day.”

While he believes that he is more likely to face Mir, nothing is official. That said Nelson has started formulating a game plan for both Kongo and Mir.

When speaking about Kongo, Nelson stated that, “He’s right in the mix…he’s a tough guy, but the one thing he has lacked in the past is his wrestling.”

Nelson went on to say, “I’m hopin’ I get the best Cheick Kongo that I’ve ever seen; if that’s the fight I fight.”

Presuming that Nelson does fight Kongo on July 3rd, the question was posed whether he felt obligated to have a “patriotic” cage entrance since he would be somewhat representing the USA against a Frenchman the day before the Nation’s birthday.

“I think maybe I might come in to the Star Spangled Banner, but I can always fall back to Weird Al… you know I’m Fat,’ said Nelson.

Nelson will be on the island for another week, relaxing and taking a break before heading home to Las Vegas to start training. Against who is anyone’s guess.

• Dufresne says:

Lol, I love Big Country. Once people get over the fact that he’s got a huge gut they realize he’s a funny, intelligent guy and an incredibly gifted fighter.

If he ends up fighting Kongo I think he’ll do exactly what he says and try and get the fight to the ground. If he ends up fighting Mir, I think he’ll probably want to test out Mir’s chin a bit. Nelson has a great ground game and powerful punching, so he’s not gonna be a cakewalk for whoever they match him up with, UFC newcomer or not.

• CptZ says:

Nelson is a great fighter. People need to realize that. If he continues on this path, he will be reconized as a tough man and terrific fighter.

• Kongo fight is part of the rumor mill? Nelson announced it on his Facebook and Twitter accounts. Maybe the Parisian’s back injury is bad enough to keep him out of action?

• moosebaby02 says:

if he gets mir then mir better keep it standing. fat boy already beat him in a bbj tourney so its not like roy will be scared to take it to the ground..
    as for kongo will roy will take that one

• MCM says:

Roy has always been one of my favorite fighters. He’s one of the guys that got me into MMA, so I’ll always be routing for him. With that said, I think he takes either Kongo or Mir, but will have a much harder time with the top guys. I could see him possibly getting passed Cain, but I can’t see him getting passed JDS, Carwin, or Brock. I hope he gets Mir in the next fight (I’ve been calling for it since he came to the UFC), and straight knocks him out. Then he can claim that he’s not only a better grappler, but a better striker as well.

• Hohlraum says:

moosebaby02. don’t know what you’re talking about and neither do the people that bumped up your comment. Nelson has beaten Mir on the ground in pure grappling tournaments. Nelson’s ground > Mir’s ground.

• Dufresne says:

moosebaby02.don’t know what you’re talking about and neither do the people that bumped up your comment.Nelson has beaten Mir on the ground in pure grappling tournaments. Nelson’s ground > Mir’s ground.

That’s exactly what moosebaby said. I don’t understand how you misread that.

• Angry Mike says:

If Roy fights Kongo, I hope he stays away from the USA vs. France thing, which is completely cliche. A Weird Al walk out song would be legendary, and a better pick.

• bigbadjohn says:

why the hell not, angry mike? After the fight Roy could ask for Freedom fries with his Burger King

• fanoftna33 says:

I hope Roy gets Kongo before Mir as it should be a win for Nelson. He has way better wrestling and submissions and should have a first round sub on Kongo. That makes a match up vs Mir a pretty big fight for Nelson to win. Against Mir its pretty even but vs Kongo Id say 75/25 Roy gets the W.

• Much love for Big Country. He’s a good guy and he always comes to fight. I still don’t understand how a guy can be in good shape to fight while still maintaining a gut…it’s mind boggling.

• Guthookd says:

I thought Scott Junk can’t fight no mo.

Did they fix his eye or what? Big Baby will be stoked on that.

• Guthookd says:

Much love for Big Country. He’s a good guy and he always comes to fight. I still don’t understand how a guy can be in good shape to fight while still maintaining a gut…it’s mind boggling.  (Quote)

Burn 4,000 calories working out and training, then consume 5,000 calories drinking beer and eating grease.

• moosebaby02 says:

2003 Big Country Roy Nelson beat Frank Mir in a BBJ tourney. the same Frank Mir that suppose to have the deadliest BJJ of all the HW. the same Frank Mir who is one of the best when he is on his game or not jerking off to brock posters