Shlemenko vs. Hess, Baker vs. Schambari set for Bellator semifinals in San Antonio

CHICAGO, Ill. (April 30, 2010) — Bellator Fighting Championships, the fist-of-its-kind tournament-style mixed martial arts promotion, will make its second 2010 stop in the Lone Star State next month when it comes to the Majestic Theatre in San Antonio.

The event—which will be broadcast LIVE and in prime time across the country on FOX Sports Net and during special weekend highlight shows on NBC, Telemundo and mun2—takes place on Thursday, May 27th at the historic theatre, which is located at 224 E. Houston Street in the heart of downtown San Antonio.

Tickets are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets and at www.ticketmaster.com.

The fight card for the event includes two semifinal round matchups in Bellator’s ongoing middleweight tournament: Siberian striker Alexander “Storm” Shlemenko (28-4) versus former all-American college wrestler and Bellator Season 1 middleweight tournament runner-up Jared Hess (11-1-1) along with former competitive power-lifter Eric Schambari (12-1) versus Southern California powerhouse Bryan “The Beast” Baker (12-1) in a rematch of their December 2007 fight in the WEC (which Baker won by split decision).

In addition, the evening will feature a special “Heavyweight Feature Fight” between 11-3 former UFC star Eddie Sanchez and EliteXC veteran Ralph Kelly as well as four “Local Feature Fights” between some of the top rising MMA stars from Texas.

“Bellator is thrilled at the opportunity to bring our brand mixed martial arts events and our television partners at Fox Sports Net, NBC, Telemundo and Mun2 to the thousands of passionate MMA fans in the San Antonio area,” said Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “Our two Main Event fights feature four of the most exciting middleweights out there right now including a man, Alexander Shlemenko, who I believe is one of the top fighters to come out of Russia in many years. It should be a great night of fights.”

Bellator, which became the first MMA promotion in history to be broadcast on the ESPN family of networks during its highly successful first season, announced late last year that it had formed a groundbreaking new TV distribution alliance for its second season that reaches virtually every home in the U.S. Bellator Season 2 began on Thursday, April 8th at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla. Bellator Season 3 begins August 12th. Both seasons run for 12 consecutive weeks.

Bellator is also hosting an event at the Verizon Theatre in Grand Prairie, Texas, (just outside of Dallas) one week before the San Antonio event on Thursday, May 20th.

For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Bellator.

Thurs nights fights wre awesome- can’t wait

• Jstew3785 says:

I must admit that was the first time I’d seen a full Alexander Shlemenko fight. I knew the name and I’d seen some highlights but to watch him perform live (on TV) was amazing. I feel like he might have been a little too flashy early on and got a little carried away with all the spinning back fists because a lot of his attacks early were not finding the mark. But starting the second round and definitely the third round he calmed down and it was just a complete and total masterpiece. He will definitely win over the American fans with his style and I for one cannot wait to see him fight again. Wish they would move his fight up a week , I’ll be at the Dallas show on May 20th.

• hindsightufuk says:

yea i thought Alexander could have finished that fight if he stopped with the spinning shit.
    he’s a deadly fighter, his left body kicks are aweseom, but if you do the same move over and over someone is gonna workout how to counter it. if Jared gets past the first spinning back fist he get Alex down and most likely finish early

• fanoftna33 says:

These fight are pretty good, as is Bellator on the whole. Way better quality than most of last season of TUF thats for sure. Cant wait until this thursday to see Neer take on Alverez- I think it is a fight Neer can pull off and really open some eyes.

• hindsightufuk says:

yep neer alvarez is gonna be a belter, i think Josh has a good chance too

• fanoftna33 says:

I really think Neer should get the W. The guy cant be knocked out, he has the chin of a third Diaz brother. His submission game is very good, way better than Eddies. He has good stand up skills, all together I think this is a very gutsy move on the part of Bellator and Alverez to have a fight against Neer and they all should be appluaded for putting this on.

• Guthookd says:

I’m stoked for this coming round too. I didn’t see any of last season so I don’t know if I’ve ever even seen Alvarez fight. I know Neer though. Tough as can be.

Agreed, this is a ballsy move by BFC, I just hope it doesn’t blow up in there faces. If Neer wins then what does that say about Eddie, the Champ. Nothing great when an ex-UFC gate keeper puts you to sleep.

We’ll see. Just adds to the suspense I guess.