Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko possible for “UFC on Versus 2”

It appears as if a light heavyweight clash between fast rising phenom Jon Jones and tested veteran Vladimir Matyushenko may be coming to the second “UFC on Versus” event.

The news comes courtesy of a recent report from TheGarv.com, who reported that the bout has been agreed to by both fighters, and FiveOuncesofPain.com has since been able to confirm that – although the bout is not signed as of this time – the match-up is a strong possibility.

The card is expected to take place on August 1 from Salt Lake City, Utah.

“Bones” Jones is coming off of the most impressive performance of his career with an¬†devastating first round TKO of Brandon Vera at the first “UFC on Versus” event, while “The Janitor” is currently on a three-fight win streak in the UFC with back-to-back… to back decision victories over the likes of Jason Lambert, Igor Pokrajac and Eliot Marshall.

There giving Jones the “slow and steady” route… DW & Co. know this guy is good for business.

Off Topic but-
    Hey what ever happen to DW “making it up to the fans” for that Silva fight?? Huh??

• fanoftna33 says:

This is still a good fight, even though the Janitor is older, he is a tough guy with good wrestling. Plus every other big name is tied up right now.

• MickeyC says:

I still see jones making pretty quick work of him.

• retrofitting123 says:

jones first 3 mintues via brutal elbows and ragdolling

• JabCrossHook says:

as much as i like the janitor this will be a very hard for him and i dont see him winning unless he just gameplans it really well and grinds out a decision some how, but i doubt it

• bigbadjohn says:

I think Id be more comfortable watching my old man step in the ring with Lesnar than this one…

• Jstew3785 says:

This seems like a step backwards for Jones. I was hoping they’d match him up with someone like Thiago Silva or Luiz Cane.

• Rich S. says:

This doesn’t make too much sense to me..
    I suppose I like this more than throwing him in with an absolute monster..
    But, if he could batter Hamill and Vera as easily as he did, he might just kill Matyushenko..
    Especially considering Matyushenko’s style..

• twyg says:

I like the matchup in that ig gives jones another decent name on his resume while building towards a title shot. After this though I would like to see him with either the loser of the rampage/rashad fight or the winner of the forrest/lil’nog fight. If he can win either of those fights it would put him in line for the title by the beginning or middle of next year.

• hindsightufuk says:

i know Matyushenko is a tough guy and all but i think he is one of the dullest fighters in the sport

• champ316 says:

This fight is a waste of time for Jones. He is ready for top competition right now.

• Makington says:

I think this fight makes perfect sense actually. Jones technically should be fighting another step up in competition. Someone in the top 5 that could push him to a title shot, but the belt is still kind of stuck in a pseudo-tournament right now. You’ve got Machida/Shogun going for the rematch with Evans/Rampage a month after for the next shot.

I think the UFC is giving him very winnable fights that will look good on his record and give him more experience against the type of wrestlers that hold you down and grind you out, and just octagon time in general. It’s obvious that the UFC is expecting him to win this, so I think they’re just trying to keep him relevant while they sort out the title picture right now.

• moosebaby02 says:

bang on Makington. i would still like to see him get right in the mix of things when i comes to the title but he is very young and there is no need to rush him at this point. there is allot to settled with the top dogs first.
    after this im with jstew and give him T Silva

• Makington says:

Man, a fight with Thiago Silva would be sick. I’d like to see it after Thiago gets back on track with a couple wins because I can only see him getting demolished which would make him 1-3 if he lost to Bones and possibly out of the UFC.

Jones has all the time in the world though, so I’ll be patient.

• Guthookd says:

This fight looks good to me. Bones for the win, but hopefully not until round 2 or 3.

• Jstew3785 says:

Why wait until round 2 or 3? I hope Bones smashes him in 2 minutes

• Jstew3785 says:

Give Thiago Silva someone like Jared Hamman, a decent opponent but a sure win for the most part and then set up Thiago Silva vs Bones Jones