Jose Aldo: I don’t feel anything

WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo took a huge leap in being recognized as one of the sport’s pound for pound most gifted athletes this past weekend with a one-sided beating of Urijah Faber at WEC 48. The budding mixed martial arts phenom is without a doubt “the next big thing” in mixed martial arts, but sadly, his paycheck currently doesn’t reflect his talent level.

“The featherweight doesn’t pay very much, but I don’t fight for money,” said Aldo in a recent conversation with Tatame.com. “If I did so, I would be screwed. I fight for me, for my family and my team. I go up there focused on this, it doesn’t matter how much money I’ll make of it.”

When asked his thoughts following the recent pummeling of former WEC champ Urijah Faber in The California Kid’s hometown of Sacramento, Aldo claimed to be numb to it all, stating, “I don’t feel anything, my career is just beginning. It was my first belt’s defense. Everybody used to say that to be a champion I would have to defend my title and so I did. I still got a lot to train and to learn, just when the time goes by I’d be able to understand things better, but I’m just starting. I want to practice more and learn… I want to go back to Brazil, spend some time there on Bahia with Luis Carlos (Dórea) working on my boxing.”

And when talk turned to a possible match-up against the likes of former UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn in the near future, Aldo was quick to point out that he was in no rush to do anything too crazy. As good as he is, Jose knows better than anyone that he’s still a work in progress.

“I don’t think about it, I’m focused on my current category, I don’t think of changing categories now,” said Aldo in regard to a move up in weight to possibly challenge Penn in a superfight. “I can do this fight, but first I have to maintain and build a solid career on this weight. It was my first belt’s defense… BJ is a great champion, has defended his belt several times, it’s a tough fight, but first I have to keep my good spot on this category and then I’ll think of weight changing.”

• blue says:

The nice thing about being a professional is you always get compensated what the market will bear. To insinuate someone is under compensated, one has to assume others are over-compensated. But I am not sure how to prove someone is getting compensated more than what the market will to bear, Bernie Madoffs aside.

Hey, but MMA is growing and just like any industry with growth, the future will bear an increase in compensation.

• JOEgun says:

This kid has his head on right.

• Kuch says:

How much was he paid for his last fight? How much was Faber paid?

Aldo sounds like a class act, so I hope he gets paid like it.

• Guthookd says:

I wonder how the PPV numbers came out.

• manny says:

They each rec’d about 65K each for the fight. Faber pretty much had wec by the nuts as they promoted him the most. 3 out of 5 of his last fights where for the belt. What other fighter u know gets a title shot that quick, n loses. :) I guess its the lack in competion b/c no one is beating Aldo.

How can DW say this kid could be a champ in 3 dif weight classes after his 1st title defense & ready for bj? (this is y i dont like dw). I love Aldo and his response to moving up to fight bj. Its only a matter of time, he’s 23 yrs old. No one will beat him in the wec and his demolish cruz if he moves to down

He sounds humble and smart… BUT he needs to be business savy aswell if he wants the very best for his family… it’s easy to say you don’t fight for money it’s hard to say you can always provide for your family by being a professional fighter. Best of luck to him but I have a feeling he doesn’t need luck he just needs to keep doing what he’s doing and continued success will follow.

Manny- DW is a fight promoter… stretching reality, kinda comes with the territory.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Question is, do you give Gamburyan the next shot? He gorilla pimped Mike Brown, and Aldo just worked Faber so…. figure out the mmath. I like Manvil and I think he earned the shot but I don’t like his chances against Aldo, I’m not sure if I like BJ’s chances actually.

• hindsightufuk says:

who else would Jose face for his next defense? I guess Manny has won three so it kinda makes sense. i really cant think of anyone else. once he beats Manny, Urijah will have won another fight and therefore be ready for yet another rematch, yet another title shot.
    i know it aint gonna happen but i would love to see him fight L.C. Davis/Hioki/Kanehara/Hellboy/Omigawa & obviously Bibiano.

Maybe Miguel Torres will make the jump?

• Batman says:

BJ has his hands full with Frank Edgar, Aldo is a great fighter but he just got the belt so let him enjoy it for awhile.

• Lethal Liquid says:

Love this guy. He basically saying he has to whip some more ass at featherweight( looking at you Manny) before he makes the jump up to face BJ Penn. I’m gonna sit back and enjoy another great rule his division with an iron fist

• nate says:

ive watched aldos’ career for a while. i think he could take the 135lb strap easily. but a fight with bj? maybe thats a little too soon for that kinda talk. & isnt it a slap in the face of benhen to say aldo should challenge bj? its assuming he’ll run over benhen. i think if ANYTHING aldo vs. cruz & benhen vs frankie edgar superfights on a co-promoted ppv.

• diceman says:

The nice thing about being a professional is you always get compensated what the market will bear.To insinuate someone is under compensated, one has to assume others are over-compensated.But I am not sure how to prove someone is getting compensated more than what the market will to bear, Bernie Madoffs aside.

Jesus, I cringe anytime I read someone talking about markets as though they know what their talking about.

For markets to actually function, you need perfect information and competition. Well there isn’t a lot of competition for 145 pounders right now–the WEC is effectively a monopoly. And the information is never perfect (or close to it) b/c fighters sign multi fight contracts. Hence, we can roughly estimate a fighters value for his first fight but after that it becomes a crap shoot ( e.g. if he wins then he is probably more valuable…..if he loses, then he is less valuable).

Zuffa operates according to incredible market distortions. There is very little competition for fighters and no union, which means they have all the bargaining power. This isn’t like the MLB, NFL or NBA. Thats why you have fighters signing away their ancillary rights for no compensation (something that is unheard of outside the sport) and lopsided contracts. They reserve the right to drop fighters anytime they want without explanation, but fighters don’t have the same option.

My guess is that if Aldo were to renegotiate tom., then he would be making a lot more money. So yeah, in a way he is definitely under compensated.

Oh and JOEgun, lets hope he has his head on right. Literally speaking, b/c if he were to get seriously injured in the cage sometime in the near future, well he is f*cked. Despite being one of the best fighters in the world.

• moosebaby02 says:

whats with all this jumping up to fight fight BJ. why you all just sit back and watch this KID grow

• retrofitting123 says:

i would actually take aldo over edgar,but staying at 145 for a couple more is good too

• I look forward to watching a lengthy reign at Featherweight for Aldo. Bringing him into the UFC lightweight division would be good, but in a couple years. He’s going to have to get used to fighting at that weight, making sure he doesn’t lose a step while getting bigger.

• madheartmma says:

diceman …you know what’s up, fighters need a union. Maybe when Randy C. retires….for real…He’ll get some $mart guy$ together and be the Union BO$$. Help the fighters out….finally…

• diceman says:

The union is the only way I can see out of this mess. The UFC can’t create artificial competition like other major sports leagues b/c it is not team based and doesn’t lend itself to the tourny style golf or tennis uses).

I would be interested to hear from those who dislike my post exactly what they would propose. Anyone who thinks that things will be fine and dandy if the UFC just “owns” everyone and has no competition (while fighters are non union) needs to have their head checked. What, are we going to rely on the benevolence of Dana White to pay these guys fairly and take care of them if they become seriously injured? Yeah, and I got some swamp land in Florida I would like to sell ya.

You still have a lot guys in the top 10 who are still working day jobs (Carwin, the #1 heavyweight contender was still working up until a few months ago I believe). Pretty insane.