Nate Marquardt vs. Alessio Sakara added to UFC 116

The finishing touches are currently being put in place to make a middleweight bout between Nate Marquardt and Alessio Sakara official for UFC 116.

The news of the bout was recently reported by MMAjunkie.com.

UFC 116 is expected to take place on July 3 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas while airing live on pay-per-view. Brock Lesnar is slated to face off with Shane Carwin in the main event of the evening to crown an undisputed UFC heavyweight champion.

Marquardt will be entering the match-up on the heels of a one-sided unanimous decision defeat at the hands of Chael Sonnen after going on a three-fight winning streak in the UFC middleweight division, while Sakara will be looking to improve upon a three fight win streak in the UFC that has included victories over the likes of Joe Vedepo, Thales Leites and James Irvin.

116 will be a card worth the $ ( so far… as long as no injuries or illness’ happen)

• inkythewinky says:

now that brock is healthy next year he better fight 3 times (DW disses fedor cause he dont fight 3x a year)

• Dufresne says:

• fanoftna33 says:

Looks like they’re trying to get Nate back to his winning ways. Sakara isn’t a pushover, but I don’t think he has the tools to take the Great down.  (Quote)

that is exactly what i was thinking

• Guthookd says:

Sakara has been doing very well, but I have to agree with Duf and Fan…..Nate for the easy win and a rather loose justification for a shot at Anderson.

• fanoftna33 says:

• Creature says:

Ha i bet sakara actually thinks he has a chance at beating nate the great, lol nate is gonna go through him like a hot sword through butter

• JabCrossHook says:

sakara has very solid boxing tho so you never know

• moosebaby02 says:

I have to go with you on this one. still NATE THE GREAT NATE THE GREAT
    just what he needs to get back on track. better not F it up like he did with chael

• LiverPunch says:

I know I tend to bitch a lot but I think this matchup is appropriate for Nate. Everybody always says how good Nate is and until recently he was ranked at No.2 in the world. Like A. Arlovski, of his last 8 fights he has lost 3. However of his 4 recent shots at top 10 fighters he has lost 3 from 4, and unlike Arlovski he has never been a UFC champion yet he has been a stable figure in the top 5 of the MW division whereas Arlovski has disapeared and is ranked as low as 15 in some ranking lists. Go figure. In my humble opinion Nate isn’t so great and should earn shots at the top 10 guys.

• moosebaby02 says:

and thats why arlovski is on bully beat down and Nate is still fighting in the UFC

• moosebaby02 says:

and instead of his last 8 fights to try and justify your comparison try Nates last 12 fights he lost 3 times. and thats only in the UFC. one to the champ another where he should have won but no one was ready for the re match with the champ. and a one dud against chael.

• JMFG says:

fanoftna33

This type of matchmaking acually sucks, everybody knows why Nate is getting this match, and barring a fluke punch from Sakara we all know Nate takes this one fairly easy. Why not give him someone worthy of his ability, I would love to see him fight Palharis as both can claim to be near the top of the division, or Okami who is back on track, but dont throw your #3 guy in the weight class in there with your # 23 guy and expect anybody to be excited about it. Hell Nate should have declined the fight and asked for someone a little better.  (Quote)

I bet you said the exact same thing about the fight with Sonnen. But that one showed you never know whats gonna happen on any given night.

• Batman says:

this fight is a joke.

• fanoftna33 says:

JMFG, Sonnen is a legit competitor with very high level wrestling, Sakara on the other hand has never done anything to make me or anybody who knows anything about MMA think he has more than a punchers chance, which I stated. I understand anything can happen but really you top 3 guys shouldnt taking gimmie fights like this.