Leonard Garcia and “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung wage war during WEC 48 prelims

The absolute war waged between WEC featherweights Leonard Garcia and “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung during the preliminary portion of WEC 48 this evening has the potential to do for the WEC what Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar did for the UFC.

Garcia and Sung Jung played rock’em sock’em robots for the bulk of the three rounds scheduled between the pair of hard headed power punchers, battering one another about the skull, face, torso and legs with anything they could throw at one another (hooks, leg kicks, flying knees, spinning backfists, you name it) in a bout that UFC matchmaker Joe Silva declared was the greatest fight he had ever seen in his life according to Joe Rogan following the tussle.

When the dust had a chance to settle following an action packed three rounds, it was Leonard Garcia who earned the nod via split decision from two of the three judges with two scores of 29-28, while one judge gave the bout to the Zombie 29-28 in a bout that could have gone either way.

There’s no doubt who the early front runner is for that sweet $65,000 Fight of the Night bonus going into the main card, which is sure to deliver in the action department.

WEC 48 is taking place from the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California, with the preliminary portion airing live on Spike TV and the main card airing on pay-per-view.

Also on the undercard portion of the event which aired live on Spike TV was Anthony Pettis, who turned in an extremely impressive showing , battering Alex Karalexis before slapping on the fight ending triangle in the second round.

• Curly Biddles says:

The Korean Zombie was completely robbed in this terrible decision. He came forward the entire fight, earned the only takedowns, knockdowns, and landed more shots.

As much as I love to win, I wouldn’t want to win like that.

• Guthookd says:

FOTN for sure. That fight was action packed. I was impressed by both of these guys and I certainly hope the WEC doesn’t consider making this the first and last appearance for CSJ.

• MickeyC says:

you will see him fight again. He performed well against a hiy who was title contender not long ago You mayu even.see a rematch with garcia.

• moosebaby02 says:

if any fight there should be a rematch it’s this one

• damonkolt says:

Just a good ol’ brawl!!! Its great to have one of this every once in a while. Korean Zombie is the best nickname is in the game and was well serving as he just walked through some serious haymakers. Garcia is all heart, it has to kill Greg Jackson because I am pretty sure the game plan isn’t to swing for the fences until you gas but what the hell.

• hindsightufuk says:

awesome fight for sure, i dont think Jung was robbed though it could have easily been he who won, i think it was pot luck who got their hand raised.

• edub says:

This was a horrble decision. Judging…bad…judging can change fighter’s careers.

• inkythewinky says:

mike goldberg kept saying over and over again how cerrone is garcia’s best friend/training partner/ and roomate at a ranch in new mexico, i only remember all of this cause he said it LIKE 7 TIMES!!!!! AHHHHH

• hindsightufuk says:

This was a horrble decision. Judging…bad…judging can change fighter’s careers.  (Quote)

did you really think it was that clear cut edub?
    i wasnt taking much notice of the scoring while i was watching it, but at the end i thought Leonard would get the nod. I’ll have to watch it again as so many people seem adamant that Jung won

• Guthookd says:

One thing is for sure…I loved Garcia’s response to a booing crowd. “I’m not a judge…I”m a fighter and my job is to give you exciting fights.” Exactly what he did.

As long as they give CSJ another fight I guess I don’t care. I just want to see that bad mofo do that again. Damn. That was something else.

• inkythewinky says:

best fight of the year so far

• Dufresne says:

I personally had it going two rounds to one to CSJ and at least one of the judges agreed with me. It was a fairly close fight, but I thought CSJ threw more strikes, had more accurate strikes, and did more damage. Oh well, as long as I get to see the Korean Zombie fight again I’ll be happy.