Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard set for UFC 118

It looks like UFC 118 will be a night to showcase the lightweight division as another blockbuster lightweight bout between Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard has been signed.

Florian confirmed the fight on a recent edition of MMA Live.

Florian will look to stop the aggressive wrestling of “The Bully” in what should be a number one contender’s fight for the lightweight crown. Florian will have the hometown advantage as UFC 118, and Maynard may be walking into hostile territory.

Florian has went 11-3 in the promotion since his debut with his only losses to BJ Penn, Diego Sanchez, and Sean Sherk and has went on three and six fight win streaks in the promotion with victories over Roger Huerta, Clay Guida, Joe Lauzon, and recently Takanori Gomi. Florian came close to championship gold on two occasions, but has loss to Sean Sherk in 2006 and BJ Penn last year.

Maynard is undefeated in MMA, and has been the only fighter to defeat UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar, a fight that he dominated with wrestling at UFC Fight Night 13. While “The Bully” may not be an exciting fighter, nobody has yet to formulate a game plan to stop Maynard. This will be Maynard’s first true test against an established lightweight in the UFC, and an upset win could put him in line for a shot against either Frankie Edgar or BJ Penn.

UFC 118 takes place of August 1 and will emanate from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The PPV event will be headlined by a rematch between Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn for the lightweight title.

• Dufresne says:

I should be excited about this fight, but all I can think is that if Florian wins this he’s gonna get another title shot, and personally I think that would be against Penn. I don’t want to see that rematch yet.

• JBAR says:

Only problem with this fight is that it will be 3 rounds not 5. I think all #1 contender fights or fights between former champions should be 5 rounds.

• Angry Mike says:

This match up is way overdue, and it should be a great fight. I think Florian wins, though.

Maynard looked too cautious in his fights against Huerta and Diaz, eking out split decisions. Florian’s a better striker, and if Maynard hangs back Florian will pick him apart. Maynard’s best chance is to live up to his nickname and try to bully Florian. I don’t think it’ll work, though, because even if Maynard takes Florian down, Florian can win off his back with nasty elbows or a submission.

• blue says:

Please, no BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian II yet.

• fanoftna33 says:

I like this fight a lot, but Gray had better come in with some serious cardio or he will be watching his hope of a LW title shot go down the drain. We know Kenny can be outwrestled and as much as we hear about his submission game all he has ever shown is a RNC. Gray needs to outhustle Kenny and really take it to him because Kenny really doesnt have the power to KO Gray either. What Kenny does is outwork and frustrate guys into making mistakes and if Maynard avoids that and dictates the fight he will be fighting for the title by the end of the year.

• JOEgun says:

Kennys got this. Personally I wouldnt be too excited to watch Kenny vs Penn 2, or even Maynard vs Penn. Kenny vs Maynard makes sense but I would have prefered Kenflo vs Sotoropoulis and Maynard vs Tibeau, although I know Gleison needs a few more wins, it would be a tough matchup for Maynard. Im just sayin the matchups Ive mentioned would excite me more, and would shake up the lightweight division a bit, before it gets stale up top.

• moosebaby02 says:

I love both these guys but i see KenFlo having to much for Maynard to stop.

• Creature says:

I love both these guys as fighters, and have been waiting 4 this 4 a long time now, im gonna say kenflo with the win but through a hard fought decision, maynard has many of the exact skills as sherk and will use them, kenflo has lethal bows but maynard is a strong wrestler and has quick hands, this is def the best fight 4 #1 contender, im very excited 4 this fight

• JBAR says:

Man everybody hates my comment about #1 contender fights being 5 rounds but we all bitch about bad judges decisions. Why not give the guys 2 more rounds to take care of it themselves. Besides if they can’t go 5 rounds they are not ready for the championship fihgts.