James Toney vs. Randy Couture possible for UFC 118

James Toney is set to make his debut in the UFC at UFC 118, and the promotion has wasted no time in putting him against a tough opponent in MMA legend Randy Couture.

While the fight has yet to be confirmed, Fighters Only and MMA Junkie have both reported the fight happening for the UFC’s debut in Boston.

Toney is looking to make an impact in MMA, and went on a relentless trash-talk spree calling out every major fighter in the UFC and heavily pushing Dana White to sign him. Toney signed a multi-fight promotion with deal, originally reported by this site. Toney has enlisted well known MMA trainer Juanito Ibarra for his debut in the sport, who has worked with former UFC light-heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.

Couture is currently fighting at light-heavyweight and a potential fight with Toney would be no issue for the multi-time champion. Couture has defeated Mark Coleman and Brandon Vera since his move back to 205 pounds after fighting at heavyweight for two years. Will Couture end up like Tim Sylvia and foolishly try and stand-up with the legendary boxer?

I guess we will find out at UFC 118.

UFC 118 takes place of August 1 and will emanate from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The PPV event will be headlined by a rematch between Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn for the lightweight title.

• MickeyC says:

If randy takes him down it is over.

• JBAR says:

I would like to see Toney in with a pure striker to start with. This is a no win situation for Randy, a win gains him nothing.

• bigbadjohn says:

Well, well. It seems as Toney’s wish has been granted. He insisted he didnt want to fight a ‘can’, now hes in a legend’s sights. Ill be smiling when dirty boxing with greco roman wrestling shits all over the sweet science

• G-DUB says:

• Angry Mike says:

JBAR is probably right in the sense that Couture gains nothing if he wins. It won’t move him towards a title shot for any rational reason. That having been said, it’s still an interesting challenge for Couture, who seems to come up with a viable game plan for every fight. I’ll bet my next paycheck that the plan consists of mashing Toney against the cage, wearing him out, taking him down, and pounding him out.

• blue says:

I am bit discouraged by this fight in regards to Randy. Randy has been given an old Mark Coleman, an ineffective Brandon Vera and now a fighter with limited or no ground fighting? I have no doubt the UFC will promote Randy’s 3-fight win streak and declare him “in title contention”, although these 3 fighters are far less than inspiring.

• Guthookd says:

Everyone will be saying that Toney has a puncher’s chance, but Couture is way too seasoned and crafty in the cage to get caught and finished. In this instance, puncher’s chance = NO CHANCE.  (Quote)

I dont’ know man. Even Brock Lesnar was able to catch Randy with a punch.

I’m going out on a limb here and picking Toney for the KO in round one with his first delievered punch.

• Guthookd says:

I would have way rather seen Toney vs. CroCop.

• RoadsideGraphix says:

I know everyone is going to thumbs down this but I want to put it on record now..

Toney by brutal KO early rd 1

• Makington says:

I will be so upset if Toney wins. There is absolutely no way he should win, but this is MMA. I like his pre fight hype, but if he wins I think his after fight hype will be a little too much. It will give all those douche cocky boxers like Mayweather ammunition against people like us, and we’ll just have to take it. Being humbled might do Toney a bit of good, if it’s possible for him to actually be humble about something.

I would tell Randy not to bother throwing even a single punch. Toney isn’t experienced enough to defend a takedown, and Randy won’t even have to set one up with strikes. Just bull rush him with a nice low single-leg and he will never catch him coming in. From there, it should be the easiest fight of his life as he proves that MMA is truly the future.

This is the main event I reckon?

I doubt this fight comes together but if it does…

This is a win for the natural… Well for his bank account.
    Randys most likely not losing this fight (If the fight even happens) but if he did the big difference btn him and Tim S. Would be the paychecks and that may make it all worth while,regardless if he got knocked out you can’t compare Randy to Tim and I Dont think Randy would get the same treatment Tim Sylvia is currently getting of he got KOed.

• Con says:

Wasn’t it Mercer who stood up with Sylvia. I don’t think Toney has fought an MMA fight yet.

• MickeyC says:

Toney always has a chance, he is one of he best boxers of our time, to say he has noe chance would be foolish. But I would have a hard time picking him for the win. Randy is gona press him aginst the cage and take him down, and I do not care who he has been training with the past few months, he will not be able to match Randys wrestling. This is just a bad fight for Toney, he should have asked for Kimbo or Roy, hell maybe even Chuck, but to fight a ground guy his first fight is a bad move.

• JOEgun says:

If this fight does happen i really really hope Randy can win by ground and pound stoppage. I agree that if Toney catches Randy with any punch its over. I would hate to see Randy, a very experienced MMA champion, lose to someone with no MMA experience; that would be embarrassing. Give Toney to Todd Duffee!!! that seems a more sensible matchup if Toney will fight at heavyweight, but Dana has already said he wants him at lhw. At lightheavy they should throw him Mr Wonderful, that guy is a beastly wrestler with apparently growing submission skills. Thats my opinion

• Dufresne says:

Randy better get the takedown and get it quickly. If he stuffs Toney up against the fence while he tries to work for a single leg, he may end up hurt. A legendary boxer like Toney should be able to generate a huge amount of power even in that short range. I think Randy’s best chance, and hopefully the way this fight goes, is to grab a double, dump Toney on his head, stuff him in the corner and take his lunch money.

• mikefab says:

I don’t like it but I understand why they are doing it. This is a fight that will be bring in PPV buys by the casual MMA fan. The prefight press coverage they will get will probably be bigger than any other MMA fight.

• LiverPunch says:

This worries me. Why would the UFC put Toney in their with Couture?. This is a very difficult fight for a boxer to take first up. I know Couture is old now and to be honest, I have never rated him as high as most others but for a guy who has never fought MMA this is…well it just seems stupid.

• retrofitting123 says:

this fight is all wrong in so many ways,let toney fight jardine , it would an awesome entrance to the ufc. This is a stupid fight for randy , yeah he will win by all odds but whats there to gain,it makes no sense to me .im baffled by this,iftoney wins what does he do then????Its a childish fight to embarass toney but may backfire bc randys chin is on the decline ,……..im lost

• Wow, that is a strange marketing move. I guess there’s no such thing as an easy fight in the UFC.

• inkythewinky says:

if couture looses it will be by knock-out, anyone can get knocked out, but they will say how toney knocked out a legend and hype the hell outta him,
    if toney looses it will further cement couture’s legacy and legendary status, and convincing all that he is still a player in this game
    so no i don’t see it as a lose/lose
    for ufc its a win/win

• 3OAM says:

This is Kevin Ferguson vs. Tank Abbott II

It’s a bummer to see Couture reduced to being the gatekeeper to this novelty.

• mabus says:

Personally, I don’t care about “titles”. I don’t care about rankings, or about supposed best fighting supposed best. I like dynamic fight. Period. Any fight, especially at high level like the UFC is basically a “title” fight. With that said, does Toney Couture do anything? Well, bottom line, a fight is a fight. Hopefully it feeds the spectators.

I kinda feel it’s a pretty risky fight for Couture. Toney can surely do to him what Liddell did, if he can defend the takedowns. For Couture, these are the kind of motivating fights that make sense. He knows he ain’t gonna be champ… and even if he somehow did become champ, how long can he really reign? Now it’s about finishing strong before retirement. Toney under your belt is just fun… maybe even a crack at Machida.

• Creature says:

Idc what anyone says, couture is 47 years old, and STILL getting better, hes 47 years old and still can give anyone at lhw a run 4 there money, dana is putting these 2 together 2 shut toneys mouth, prove MMA is dominate over boxing, and give everyone a good laugh while we watch couture rip through toney. couture is the perfect guy 4 the job 2 take out toney, dominate wrestling with subs, lots of experience, and used 2 be a boxer himself, sure lesner cought him, but lesner is so much bigger, and is a badass on the ground. and ppl may disagree but style wise, i think couture would put up a damn good fight with machida