Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown set for UFC 116

The undercard for UFC 116 just got a bit more exciting with a fight between Matt Brown and Chris “Lights Out” Lytle has been booked according to a recent report on MMA Fighting.

Both fighters usually put on some of the most exciting fights in the welterweight division and this fight should be no different. This fight has been added to what should be a huge event with the return of Brock Lesnar in the main event.

This will be a rematch from 2007 in the United Fight League, as Lytle choked Brown out with a guillotine choke in the second round.

Since his return to the UFC after a stint on the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter, Lytle has racked up seven “Of the Night” bonuses, with four fights of the night bonuses against the likes of Kevin Burns, Marcus Davis, Paul Taylor, and Thiago Alves. Since his return in 2007, Lytle has gone 6-3 with his only loses to Davis, Alves, and Matt Hughes. His most recent victory was over Brian Foster in-which he executed a beautiful rolling kneebar only a minute into the fight.

Brown made his debut after his stint on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs. Team Griffin, and has gone 4-2 in the promotion, with his only losses to Dong Hyun-Kim and recently to Ricardo Almeida at UFC 111. Brown’s most memorable fight in the octagon might be his fight against Pete Sell at UFC 96, in which he dropped Sell to only have the fight restarted, and then proceeded to pound Sell some more despite Brown wanting the fight stopped.

UFC 116 takes place on July 3 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and it will be aired on PPV.

• fanoftna33 says:

Brown by late 2nd KO. He has the power and chin to make this a huge fight for himself. Although Lytle may go for a submission I dont think he is near the level of Almeida and will just end up wasting a lot of energy trying- which will lead to the KO by Brown.

• Angry Mike says:

• Dufresne says:

I’m not sure who I’m picking for this. Both of these guys are on my favorite list and both are amazing to watch. I think Brown has the more technical standup, but Lytle’s not exactly a slouch there either. Lytle should have the edge on ground, but I haven’t really seen much of Brown’s ground game so I’m not basing that statement on fact (getting subbed by Almeida does not a shitty ground game make).

I think I’m gonna be pulling for Brown mostly because I don’t want to see him lose 2 in a row. I don’t think the UFC would drop him if he did, but it’d be better if he didn’t even let that thought cross their minds.

• fanoftna33 says:

Davis and Koscheck couldn’t finish Lytle, so Brown won’t either, imo. If Lytle has rediscovered his bjj and is willing to use it, he could easily submit Brown. Most of Brown’s losses have been by submission, including his prior loss to Lytle. I’m going with Lytle, and he’ll end up with another bonus, too. If it isn’t submission of the night, it’ll be fight of the night.  (Quote)

Lytle’s chin has been really tested lately though with knockdowns by the released Kevin Bures and LW fighter Paul Kelly, so it’s just a matter of time when his ring experience catches up to him and I think it will really show against Brown.

• MCM says:

Damn. This is turning out to be one hell of an exciting card.
    I don’t think either one is gonna get KO’d in this even though they both have the power, they also have the chins to take punishment. Browns ground game has significantly improved since their last bout. Wilks was supposed to be some great submission fighter and Brown got out of everything James threw at him. Lytle’s record me be crap but he is still one of the toughest fighters out there and no one is gonna just walk through him. I see this going to decision in FOTN, but I’m not even gonna try to pick a winner.

• Rich S. says:

Although the submission is the best route for Lytle here, it’s HIGHLY unlikely.. It’s a shame, but it’s true.. He’s going to bang it out with Brown.. I think he should win in any respect, ground or standing, but I can never be sure.. Lytle fights with such reckless abandon that he COULD get caught at any moment, he just never has..

If you go back and look at his fight against Burns, he was rocked badly, multiple times.. This has huge potential for a war, but it could also be Lytle’s first ever knockout loss..

I’d like to see these guys keep it standing for a bit

• Makington says:

Easily going to be FotN.

Don’t know what the hell it’s doing on he undercard though.

I’m picking Lytle by decision, but I’m definitely not betting on this one.