Dana White has high hopes for WEC pay-per-view debut

UFC president Dana White is expecting a successful pay-per-view debut for the UFC’s sister organisation, the WEC, this Saturday April 24 at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California.

The outspoken promoter threw his weight behind the event while hosting a media conference call on Tuesday.

“The place is going to be sold out, packed, great energy, believe me, thank God this card is happening,” White said. “What I’m happy about, I know for a fact these guys are going to go up and perform on Saturday night. They always do, they always have… these guys deserve to be on pay-per-view.”

WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber will be headlined by WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo as he defends his belt for the first time against former champion and fan favourite Urijah ‘The California Kid” Faber. Aldo (16-1-0), a Brazilian jiu jitsu black-belt and former professional nak muay, rocketed to MMA prominence last year after racking up six consecutive TKO victories on his way to capturing the featherweight crown. Faber (23-3-0) comes into the bout fresh off a big win over Raphael Assuncao at WEC 46.

The UFC boss has also added a touch of familiarity to the broadcast by slotting in UFC commentators Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan along with the veteran voice of the Octagon, Bruce Buffer.

“We’re the pay-per-view team,” added White.

The full WEC 48 fight card includes:

Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber (WEC Featherweight Title)

Benson Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone (WEC Lightweight Title)

Mike Thomas Brown vs. Manny Gamburyan

Anthony Njokuani vs. Shane Roller

Antonio Banuelos vs. Scott Jorgensen

Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung

Alex Karalexis vs. Anthony Pettis

Demetrious Johnson vs. Brad Pickett

Chad Mendes vs. Anthony Morrison

Takeya Mizugaki vs. Rani Yahya

Tyler Toner vs. Brandon Visher

• Dufresne says:

I want the WEC to do well on PPV also, but to be honest I don’t see it happening. I’ve been watching Spike a decent amount lately with TUF, the new season of Deadliest Warrior, and the replay of UFC 110 and I have seen more commercials for 113 than I have for the WEC PPV. Hell, I’ve seen more commercials about the prelims for WEC than I have for the actual event.

I just don’t understand it. They have the most dominant former 145 champion in history trying to get his belt back, in his home town nonetheless, against the most explosive KO artist in featherweight history and they just don’t seem to want to hype it.

Again, I hope they do well, and I’m gonna be doing my part to help by ordering it and having friends over. But with no commercials added to the already limited exposure of the common fan to the WEC, I just don’t see it being a block buster.

• Angry Mike says:

It’s too bad they adios’ed the regular commentators. I like Goldberg and Rogan, but they aren’t going to generate any ppv buys, and the other crew has to eat, too. Also, they run the risk of making WEC look like UFC Lite.

I haven’t decided whether to order it. If they had discounted the price, it’d be a no-brainer, but at the regular rate I’m equivocal. My ambivalence points out a potential problem with the business model here. Adding WEC ppv’s makes it compete against UFC, and that doesn’t help either org., and especially not WEC.

• JBAR says:

Maybe they will reduce the number of UFC events per year and replace them with a couple WEC events. Some of the UFC cards are getting pretty weak with only a couple fights that really peak your interest. Why not replace them with a stacked WEC event.

• Guthookd says:

You nailed it Mike. If it were cheaper I’d buy it, but going from free to $55…..hell no.

That said…..great card.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would like to order this PPV but in all honesty it will end up on Versus in a few weeks to counter the next SF card so I will just save my $55. It looks to be one of the best cards ever though from the WEC and also stacks up well to any other card. The fight I would like to see though is Brown vs Gamburyan. I think Brown for the KO but Manny can defiantly make it interesting.

From a business perspective this should have been a UFC/ WEC co promo card… it would have sold well, and helped WEC get on it’s own legs after introducing the product to a larger fan base…

With that said this card is excellent but I don’t have another 50 bux handy to spend sooo… get the results and catch the replay I guess.

Go Faber! Go Henderson!

I think we’ll see more UFC on versus sooner than later if you catch my drift… I hope the PPV does well but I have a feeling it’s going to be a card everybody wishes they ordered but didn’t…

• JBAR says:

If I was going to be home I would order it for sure. It shows more promise than the last few UFC cards. I love watching the WEC and would like to see some cross promotion fights. Maybe BJ Penn or GSP vs Jake Shields, BJ or maybe Kenflo vs Aldo, Diego Sanchez vs Donald Cerrone and the list go’s on and on.

• Lethal Liquid says:

The main event is PPv worthy but every other matchup just doesn’t justify the price. Cerrone vs Henderson just seems like a championship fight for who is 13th or 14th best lightweight in the company. That belt is essentially meaningless

• inkythewinky says:

aldo is comming off a win in beating brown, the guy who just beat faber twice. even still i bet this will be good, just not 55 dollars good

• JBAR says:

Faber and Aldo both have unorthodox and explosive stand up. Cerrone vs Henderson 1 was nominated for fight of the year so could be in for a letdown there, seems like it is almost never as good the second time around.