Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn II set for UFC 118

It looks like it’s going to be B.J. Penn vs. Frankie Edgar II up next in the UFC lightweight division after all.

Fighter’s Only magazine has reported that both Penn and Edgar have agreed to a rematch of their controversial lightweight championship fight at UFC 118. The fight will take place on August 28, and the fight will headline the UFC’s first event in Massachusetts, the event will take place at the TD Garden Arena.

The fight between Penn and Edgar has drawn controversy thanks to the judging of the bout, which has came into question.

A rpossible bout Kenny Florian and Grey Maynard has been rumored for the card, but the rumor has yet to be confirmed by either Florian or Maynard.

UFC 118 is tentatively set for August 28 and will air on PPV.

• moosebaby02 says:

ahhhh wanted Frankie to defend it one time before they gave him BJ again

• matt says:

I think this makes the most sense from the ufc’s perspective. Bj Penn is the not only the most dominate ufc lightweight champion of all time, but he is also the the biggest draw in that division and probably the third biggest in the entire ufc. The fight was extremely close and scored in a very strange manner in many’s opinions. This card is guarnteed to do big ticket sales and with the proper co main event and fight card it could do well near 1 million buys. I know that Edgar wanted to his first defense against Maynard to avenge his only previous loss but this fight makes the most sense as i still believe that BJ Penn is the best lightweight fighter in the world, he just had an off night on april 10th and Frankie Edgar fought the best fight of his life.

• bigbadjohn says:

Fair enough. Similar to the Shogun Machida fight IMO, the challenger didnt truly take the champ out. but if Edgar did enough, Shogun did for sure.

• fanoftna33 says:

What I want to know is if B J wins this fight in controversial fashion will the UFC give Edgar a chance to earn his title back or will they make him win another 3 or 4 fights before he gets another shot?
    I am in total agreement with Moosebaby I would have liked to see Edgar vs anybody else first.

• hope this isnt the main event

• blue says:

I love BJ Penn but this is a career fight for BJ. If he losses a second time to Edgar, where does he go? He will be 0-2 against the Lightweight Champion, and 0-2 against the Welterweight Champion.

• fanoftna33 says:

Blue, another big question is where would a second win in a row put Frankie Edgar in the world P4P rankings? My guess would be around 7th or 8th.

• Angry Mike says:

Edgar had the perfect game plan in the first fight, and he implemented it perfectly, too. He’ll have to use the same game plan in the second fight due to BJ’s height and reach advantage. The question is whether BJ will be able to make adjustments.

Reports say that the WEC LW will be merged with UFC LW but I think it should have been the other way around to help bring some fans to the WEC… It would be beneficial to WEC ppv in the future to have florian, Frankie or BJ on a card…

Anyway I think bj deserves the immediate rematch – bj for the win

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

This is one of those rare situations where I don’t want either fighter to lose. That said, my guess is B.J. by another close decision. I think Edgar will be even better(as he hasn’t even reached his peak yet) and B.J. will be back to his normal phenom self. On a side note-I sure hope they don’t merge the WEC and UFC lightweight divisions. The UFC should actually drop a bunch of their LW’s to the WEC. I think Guida and Sherk should go for starters.

• moosebaby02 says:

this time i think BJ will listen to his corner and that will earn him his title back

• I love BJ Penn but this is a career fight for BJ.If he losses a second time to Edgar, where does he go?He will be 0-2 against the Lightweight Champion, and 0-2 against the Welterweight Champion.I am fairly confident Penn will win the rematch, but if he losses this will be a tremendous drop from arguably one of the top PBP fighters in the World to non-title contenter.

I am really unconcerned with where BJ goes from here I mean. .. The next evolution of fighter is always bound to come out and BJ has been at it for a long time. BJ just needs to start leg kicking more and if he would have done that with or without that rumored nasal infrection, he would have won that fight. There were numerous times that BJ could have kicked Franky’s legs to take the mobility away from Franky.

I think BJ took the fight lightly and I don’t think he will again. He didn’t look in shape like he did against Florian and I think his recent wins took his mind of the little Franky Edgar.

Bottom line is that I am glad to see this fight happen again as I don’t think that Franky would be the Dominate champion that we are use to seeing at 155. If so, then so be it. I am always ready for the next evolution of MMA fighter.

• MMADEAL.com says:

I’m not excited about this immediate rematch. Yes, the fight was really close and you shouldn’t be able to take a belt from a champion unless it’s a CLEAR decision, but couldn’t they have made BJ fight somebody else first? I don’t say this because Maynard or Florian’s only chance at being a UFC LW champ is possible with Frankie as king, but BJ lost. Like it or not, he lost. Shouldn’t he have to get to the back of the line like everybody else?

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

BJ had a stranglehold on 155 and if he wins , what changes? He will have cleared out the division AGAIN. If he loses then where does he go? 170? He may be able to beat some top 170 guys but, we saw what happened w/ GSP.

• BillyWarhol says:

I hope Frankie lays a serious Ass Whuppin’ on Pudgy!!

• danw84 says:

If one judge didn’t score it 50-45 things would be so much different. I don’t think it is fair to give BJ an immediate rematch. Edgar kind of caught lightning in a bottle to beat BJ his first match and may not be able to reproduce the victory.BJ is certainly a top contender and case could be made for #1 at 155 in the world but, Edgar is really feel good story and I think Edgar/Maynard has a nice story and would drum up PPV sales.BJ had a stranglehold on 155 and if he wins , what changes? He will have cleared out the division AGAIN.If he loses then where does he go? 170? He may be able to beat some top 170 guys but, we saw what happened w/ GSP.

I agree completely. I don’t like the idea of immediate rematches, with exception to extreme miscarriages of justice like Machida/Shogun. This immediate rematch completely takes away from what Edgar just did, and pretty much implies it was an accident. I think Edgar should get at least 1 title defense, and BJ should have to win at least 1 fight before getting to go back for the title. Maybe even 2.

This is lame for Edgar. Penn is the one who lost, he should have to spend a little time out of the title picture for it. I hope Edgar can use the confidence he’s gained in knowing he CAN beat Penn, and pull it off again.

• hindsightufuk says:

i dont like immediate rematches either. Unless its an injury situation (Bonnar/Kristof) or a truely bad stoppage (Askern/Thomas), i dont wanna see it.
    Way i see it is neither fighter did enough to win or lose that fight, neither fighter made an attempt to finish the other, they both left it to the judges which is basically pot luck, and Frankie got the nod.

Dont get me wrong i love BJ, he is one of my all time favourites, and i’d love to see him defend the LW title til he retires, just dont like this. whats the point of having judges? maybe there should be 10 more judges scoring fights behind the scenes, and when a decisoin is considered contraversial, compare their scores to see what they came up with. somethings got to give

• Rockey 47 says:

• 3OAM says:

I was hoping Edgar would win the first one because I wanted to see a shake up in the UFC belt holdings…now I’m hoping to see him win the second time so I don’t hafta see them fight a third time.

• moosebaby02 says:

BJ definitely deserves an immediate rematch. When you have dominated a division for as long as Bj has I think you should be entitled to an immediate rematch unless you were convincingly beat. I think Bj underestimated Edgar……..which i dont see happening again and I think we will see a different Bj in re-match and i think he will get the belt back.  (Quote)

so what your saying is because BJ underestimatted Edgar and came into the fight ill perpared wich a champion should never do he gets “my bad” i will get him this time???
    what about the guys who would have been 100% prepared or who should have gotten the shot in the first place like Maynard???
    BJ had his chance and fucked up so Maynard gets fucked at his chance again

• fanoftna33 says:

Great comment Moose, I think a true showdown between Edgar and Maynard would be well recieved by fans as long as B J vs Griffen-Kenny-Miller-Sotoroplis with the winners fighting next would have been so much better for the LW division.

• warriorheart1966 says:

BJ does not have a reach advantage. According to their wikipedia pages BJ has a 70″ reach and Frankie has a 72″ reach. Frankie gives up some height but he has recently started taking advantage of his long reach for someone of his height. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when Frankie beats BJ for the second time and this time it will be a more decisive.

• warriorheart1966 says:

• moosebaby02 says:

i never complain when i get thumbs down and im not now. but it seems that everyone is making excuse’s for BJ “he didnt seem right” “or all there” and the best one “BJ underestimatted Edgar” that reason out of all IS THE MOST REASON why he shouldnt get a rematch right away. Sorry but i saw BJ getting out classed the whole fight. Sick, Steph, Climate (wich is bull shit he lives in Hawaii) or HEAVEN FORBID HE UNDERESTIMATTED Frankie but come on….when does common sense kick in

• moosebaby02 says:

And when i mean OUT CLASSED i mean that BJ had nothing and i mean NOTHING to offer any kind of threat to Frankie besides chasing him around the whole fight fallen right into the CHALLNEGERS game plan. FUCK his corner was screaming for him to take him down what did he do but walk around like Frankenstein
    I lost $150 on that fight and Im still man enough to admit I was wrong so thumbs me down all you want

• hindsightufuk says:

i think BJ didnt seem himself, and probably did under estimate Frankie, but i totally agree with Moose

• Rockey 47 says:

Moose you’ve completly lost the plot here. bj has been the best lightweight in the world for at least the last 5 years…….of course he deserves a rematch!

• triangleman says:

Guys people are saying that if one card wasnt 50-45 then they wouldnt have a problem with it but because it was so dominant a decision then they would like to see him fight someone else. Answer this question, has BJ been more dominant than GSP over past several years? So explain why Serra knocks GSP our cold and he gets an immediate re-match????? Exactly!!!! Serra deserved to fight someone else and hang onto the belt and after being embarassed like that GSP should of had to fight someone else to prove he deserved the fight! Just my opinion but that is an apples to apples comparison.

• moosebaby02 says:

K get you facts right . GSP had to fight Kos then Huges then he got his re-match