Jason Miller issues formal apology for behavior

Though featuring a trio of championship bouts and an equal number of athletes scoring landmark wins against top competition, a single subject remains the defining moment of this past weekend’s ”Strikeforce – Nashville” event in the minds of many – the embarrassing, unnecessary brawl ensuing in the cage after Jason Miller interrupted the freshly victorious Jake Shields’ post-fight speech to the crowd. While no official punishment has yet been issued to “Mayhem”, Shields, Gilbert Melendez, Nick Diaz, or any of the other involved parties, Miller took to his website on Sunday to express both regret over his decision to confront Shields and willingness to be held fully accountable for his actions and their ultimate result.

“I would like to formally apologize to CBS, Strikeforce, and all fans of mixed martial arts for my role in the events following the Strikeforce: Nashville event. In retrospect, my timing could not have been worse to ask for my rematch with Jake Shields, and I take full responsibility for entering the cage and setting off a chain of events that cast a dark shadow on the sport. I’ve been a fighter and a fan of MMA for over 12 years, and would never do anything to intentionally tarnish the sport I’ve given my life to. In the excitement of the moment I let my emotions run high and made a bad choice that resulted in a debacle, for that, I sincerely apologize.”

The host of MTV’s “Bully Beatdown” lost a unanimous decision to Shields in November 2009 and has been campaigning for a rematch ever since, in part due to his near-submission of the Strikeforce Middleweight Champion seconds prior to a round expiring. Miller has a record of 23-7 and had earned a relatively quick TKO over Tim Stout earlier in the evening before confronting Shields after the main event.

• barbarycoast says:

There was no need for ” Mayhem” to apologize. I thought it was classic. What’s a little brawl after a bunch of fights anyways?

• fanoftna33 says:

Watching the brawl on youtube it doesnt look like he really did anything all that bad, it was the Gracie camp that started the violence. Still a great night for SF.

• mabus says:

Someone had to “man-up” and take response ability. Nice to see that “Mayhem” has no qualms about doing that. I’ve seen some half-ass apologies from the Gracie camp, but mostly just mumbling and “it wasn’t really my fault” kinda crap.

Isn’t that what they do almost always when a camp has the belt? They bring in a rival to promote a fight? Did Rampage swing on Rashad when he got in his face right after a tough fight?

• bmwiest says:

I dont see the big deal and how this is any different than what Shinya Aoki did or even worse Brock Lesnar. I agree with Fan the gracie camp were the ones that attacked Mayhem, and this is coming from a long time fan of both Diaz brothers. Even then this is still a sport with guys who fight what do you exepect from them hugs and holding hands with each other.

• Hodor2 says:

Meyhem, DON”T APOLOGIZE FOR SHIT!! Thank God for the melee because that was the only action that was worth viewing the entire night!! What a horrible night of MMA. Yes, Jake Shields and King Mo can wrestle. Who cares? Not me. Aoki looked like Liethes against Silva which was another one of the worst fights in history. Mousasi and Hendo looked tired, uninterestd and out of gas.

What a horrible night for Strikeforce and CBS! I was hoping for a great night.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Don’t think he has anything to apologize for but, this seems more of being the bigger man and taking the high road.

Shit happens and maybe he shouldn’t have butted in but, maybe Camp Gracie shouldn’t have acted like idiots?

Enough blame to go around Me thinks.

• 3OAM says:

If anyone should apologize it should be Shields and Melendez. Mayhem was just hyping a fight and foreshadowing events to come after an otherwise lackluster card. They’re the ones who got physical and pushed him.

I’ve had a bad taste in my mouth with Mayhem since he acted like a prick after he busted Jacare’s head open with an illegal soccer kick, but I’ve been warming back up to him, and this brawl was not his fault.

• Dufresne says:

I like that he did step up and take some responsibility, but I have to agree with most folks here and say that the brawl was 80% Shields + his corners fault. Mayhem didn’t say or do anything offensive or inflammatory and he didn’t touch anyone until he was shoved over by TWO people.

I understand that the Gracie team wants to protect their own, as should any camp, but from what? What did Miller do that warranted them butting in physically? If Miller and Shields wanted to talk shit to each other for a few minutes before the cameras cut away, so what? That happens all the time. But shoving another fighter and expecting them to not retaliate is stupid and because of that the blame falls on Shields and Co.

• Pajamashark says:

I’m with y’all about not apologizing. Miller is a showman and he brought a little bite to an otherwise kind of blah evening. He should have let Shield’s have his moment a bit longer but look how many people are talking about Strikeforce today because of that delicious brawl. CBS may act outraged but I think they like the publicity.

• Kuch says:

I think it was good to read a sincere apology to the fans and to Strikeforce.

We can all express the attitude that the brawl wasn’t a big deal, but I can guarantee garbage like that won’t go over well with CBS, especially when it involves 3 of Strikeforce’s champions. MMA isn’t mainstream enough to remain on network TV after such a spectacle. Let’s hope this doesn’t affect SF and we don’t see any more of these.

• blue says:

It is always good to see somebody step-up and take responsibility, even when the majority of blame should not fall on their shoulders. Do not be mislead, Mayhem did owe an apology and he apologized for the correct thing, bad timing.

Shields was disrespected by the promotion, the commentators (Frank Shamrock) and the MMA World as a whole. This was a ‘big’ moment for Shields and he was entitled to more than 1 sentence in the post fight interview before interruption.

Yeah Mayhem didn’t really have to apologize but it’s a good thing to do anyways… After seeing that “brawl” that took place I couldn’t help but think not that long ago Sugar Shane interupted Mayweathers post fight interview and although hostile it didn’t go anything like this debacle… SF should take responsibility for the entire mess. Just another aspect of the many things SF lacks. The fighters were the knuckle heads that lacked self control but they can’t be blamed when it’s an open house as far as whose allowed to be in the cage post- fight.

I also want to say that alot of ppl around the various mma sights are posting Bull Shit like ” wouldn’t you stick up for your boy?”- well sticking up is different than 5 on 1 and certainly doesn’t allow for kicking a downed person whose restrained… theres a difference of protecting a friend and beating down someone because you can’t control yourself.

And fuck that “oh there fighters what do you expect “crap too… I expect them to control themselves if they want a job. Immaturity is what that was- If they were 16 I’d expect BS like that- grow the fuck up if you want to be taken seriously.

• Vogairian says:

I disagree with the majority on this one. He needs to appologize for getting in there and ruining Shields’ moment, which led to the brawl. He gave Shields about 15 seconds to talk before he got right on top of him and started talking. Of course Milendez and the Diaz’s both need to apologize, but yea, Mayhem isn’t without fault here.

• silkshot61 says:

First and foremost that’s awesome that Miller came out and apologized for bad timing, that is the only thing he should apologize for. This couldn’t have come at a worst timing for Shields though. You know that throughout the whole TUF season Dana was probably talking to him about jumping ships to the UFC. For a minute, try to look at this from Dana’s stand point. He was open to the media about trying to sign Shields and how much of a classy fighter he is, now I don’t know. On a night that Strikefarce shit on the whole MMA world are you really going to pay big money and sign the guy who instigated it? MIller was just being a fighter the Gracie camp were being thugs. Can you imagine if Rampage would have swung on Rashad and the backlash from the UFC Brass that would have ensued?

• pawright01 says:

3OAM
    Just to help you get over the slight issue with Mayhem, if it helps, I met him in Vegas a little over a year ago. Probably the nicest fighter I’ve ever met, which is saying a lot b/c almost everyone I’ve met is super nice. I walked up and asked “can I get a picture with you”……..he responded “can I get a hug”? While everyone was laughing, I hugged the guy jokingly, but talked to him for probably 20 minutes, he had Hendo, Lawal, and their head trainer with them, but he spent a lot of time just talking and asking more questions about me than I asked him. Overall great guy.

• Rich S. says:

Kind of weird seeing an apology from Mayhem..

I guess his head’s in the right place, as far as saving face for Strikeforce goes, but he really has nothing to apologize for..

• fetussandwich says:

I think it was good to read a sincere apology to the fans and to Strikeforce.We can all express the attitude that the brawl wasn’t a big deal, but I can guarantee garbage like that won’t go over well with CBS, especially when it involves 3 of Strikeforce’s champions.MMA isn’t mainstream enough to remain on network TV after such a spectacle.Let’s hope this doesn’t affect SF and we don’t see any more of these.

A spectacle like that is the only thing keeping Strikeforce on TV after those fights. You mean to tell me CBS is sitting there after all of this free publicity angry at this brawl when three completely and utterly lackluster title defenses went the distance? If anything, that was their saving grace.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I guess I disagree with just about everyone. I like Mayhem as well but if you step into the cage unannounced you get what you deserve. Let’s be real if this would’ve been the same result for Kanye when he did the exact same thing we’d be all laughing our ass off. Just like in hockey the instigator gets penalized more.

• blue says:

Just a thought….

It hasn’t been mentioned and I don’t want to degrade Mayhem’s apology (which I applauded above), but he has no place to go. If Coker, for whatever reason wants to blame Mayhem for the brawl, then Mayhem’s US-based fighting career could be put on ice for some time.

• blue says:

And a second thought….

How many former ”bully guest’ on Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller’s show do you think were watching the melee on Saturday night saying, “How you like us bullies now, PUNK?”

• barbarycoast says:

Now what about a Nick Diaz vs. Mayhem catchweight or middleweight bout?-I know that Nick is going to Japan but this fight should happen as soon as possible

• Angry Mike says:

Wouldn’t it have been cool if Taylor Swift and her posse had acted like Shields and his teammates? If she had knocked Kanye down at the MTV awards and kicked him a few times, I swear I’d buy every album she ever made or ever will make. I don’t hate Kanye, it would have been the most legendary rock and roll moment of all time.

• Lethal Liquid says:

There are times where an ass-whuppin is required. You interupt someone who just had a career defining victory and you’re stupid enough to go into the cage (lion’s den) by yourself to confront Shields with his whole camp 5 feet away then you probably should get the hell kicked out of you. It was like ‘Bully Beatdown gone wrong’

• Brendhan Conlan says:

A question for ponder – Would the post-fight melee have occurred if Miller had never entered the cage and confronted Shields? Also, consider “Mayhem” wasn’t supposed to be in there, so it wasn’t like Strikeforce was trying to hype a rematch and things went wrong.

3OAM
    Just to help you get over the slight issue with Mayhem, if it helps, I met him in Vegas a little over a year ago.Probably the nicest fighter I’ve ever met, which is saying a lot b/c almost everyone I’ve met is super nice.I walked up and asked “can I get a picture with you”……..he responded “can I get a hug”?While everyone was laughing, I hugged the guy jokingly, but talked to him for probably 20 minutes, he had Hendo, Lawal, and their head trainer with them, but he spent a lot of time just talking and asking more questions about me than I asked him.Overall great guy.

I get that vibe from him. He seems like a pretty rad dude. His entrances always bring the lulz. I was just puzzled and disgusted with how bogus he was toward Jacare (one of my all-time favorite fighters.)

Mayhem has been gaining ground with me rapidly though from the fights since then and his commentating with Schiavello. I was at the event where he fought Shields and I was rooting for him; I don’t like Shield’s face.

• egad81 says:

The athletic commission and strikeforce should come down hard on anyone that throw punches in that brawl.

Trash talk is one thing but to basically school yard a person, just for making a rematch challenge… STUPID!

Next you are going to see shoot outs and an razors in the cage…. please!

• impact1 says:

If we are looking at fault… and if this incident hurts the future of MMA on mainstream television – CBS definately has to to take a lot of the blame.

They (CBS) won’t show someone who sneaks onto a baseball diamond during the game or someone running on the field at a baseball game BUT they choose to show the brawl instead of turning to a different camera angle showing the fans or cutting directly to commercial. They actually turned away from the melee for a split second and then decided “nah. lets show this stuff”. Then they decide to air the same thing again for the west coast feed (which is the one I watched).

You think the fines for the Janet “boob” shot were big… wait till the fcc gets a hold of this one.

This won’t help the big organizations cause for global sanctioning. The melee (which was clearly started by Melendez) just adds feul to the doubters that this sport is barbaric.

Damn shame…

• moosebaby02 says:

not saying that Jake, Nick, Nate, or Gilbert are not at fault but I was rasied that whenever there is a problem always go to how it started and why?

“Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker had already exited the arena for the post-fight press conference when the cage erupted in chaos. When shown a picture taken cageside of the promotion’s two champions, Diaz and Shields, both grabbing at Miller with their fists cocked back, Coker was noticeably shaken.

Questions remain how Miller, who had won a middleweight bout against local fighter Tim Stout earlier that evening, was able to gain entry to the cage following Shields’ victory. Miller did not attend the post-fight press conference.

“I can tell you this,” said Coker. “None of my staff brought him in there.”

Now for you people who want to compare this to the Rampage and Rashad thing…if any of you actually read the interviews after with Rampage he was told that Rashad was coming in to do a stare down….meaning that and you look at it again that you will see that there are security guards in the ring just in case something happened. Plus everyone knew that if Page won he wanted a shot at Rashad and the UFC did it right buy letting everything fall in place professionally
    What was Miller really try to do?? get out of already annouced fight that Croker issued last week vs Lawler.
    Miller did have to apologize for going into the cage like that but thats all he has to apologize for.

• MickeyC says:

MIller did nothing wrong. It is not out of the ordinary for a challenger to enter the octagon and talk some smake to hype a possible future fight. Hell the UFC SCHEDULES THEM! They had Brock on deck when Carwin won. It did probably help Miller get what he wants. I would have to check his stats for recent losses, but if he is on any type of a streak since losing to sheilds, there is a better chance we will see the fight now then before the out burst,

• MIller did nothing wrong.nbsp; (Quote)

Wrong. Miller instigated the entire situation.