Jacob McClintock vs. Ryan Thomas booked for Bellator 15

Jacob McClintock

CHICAGO, Ill. (April 19, 2010) — Ryan “The Tank Engine” Thomas, whose controversial loss to former U.S. Olympian Ben Askren generated substantial comment in the MMA world following Bellator 14 in Chicago last week, has been announced as a last-minute replacement for “Judo” Jim Wallhead at Bellator 15 in Connecticut this Thursday.

Wallhead (18-5), who was anticipating making his U.S. debut with Bellator, is unable to travel from his native England due to the volcanic ash cloud that has halted air travel across Europe over the last several days.

Instead, Thomas (12-4) will get the call versus Arizona Combat Sports product Jacob “Tick Tock” McClintock (6-0), who has won each of his first six pro fights via first round stoppage.

The fight is one of four Bellator fights from this Thursday night’s event at The Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Conn., that will be televised LIVE on FOX Sports Net and in special highlight shows this Saturday night on NBC, Telemundo and mun2.

“While I am very disappointed that Jim won’t be able to make it to the U.S. this week, at least some good comes out of this situation as Ryan will get the opportunity to step back into our welterweight tournament,” said Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney. “After the fight last Thursday, I promised Ryan that he would be our first alternate for the tournament and, based on a natural disaster, his opportunity came much sooner than anyone would have guessed. Ryan and Ben Askren were locked in a tough fight last week that was ended, somewhat controversially, by the referee. While I respect that decision, I am pleased that this opportunity has presented itself for Ryan.”

Thomas, a veteran of the UFC, fell to Askren via technical submission just 2:40 into Round 1 at last Thursday’s event.

Controversy erupted almost immediately after the stoppage, though, as Thomas, his corner and a vocal fan contingent in the theatre’s balcony protested that he gave no indication that he wanted the fight to be stopped.

“It’s a bad call by the referee,” Thomas said afterwards. “It’s just a shame that the fans got cheated and Ben got cheated out of some more cage time. I was fine – it wasn’t like the world was closing in on me. I was totally fine.”

For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA or on Facebook at Facebook.com/Bellator. For tickets, go to Ticketmaster.com.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I am really glad to see Ryan Thomas back in the Bellator cage so soon-I was enjoying the ground scrambles between him and Askren

• Guthookd says:

Me too Gike. I thought the stoppage was way early. He was looking really good against Askren too.

I hope he learned a lesson though…..don’t close your eyes while you’re stick in a deep choke, even if it’s an arm-in guillotine and you don’t feel threatened. Keeper the peepers open man!

Good luck to Thomas and WAR BELLATOR! After that Strikeforce debacle I’ll be watching BFC with a new appreciation.

• hindsightufuk says:

great news, that was the worst stoppage i seen for a while. I dont think anyone could argue it.
    Hopefully he can get through and rematch Ben Askern at some point.

Shame for Judo at the same time, was looking forward to seeing him fight

• hindsightufuk says:

“generated substantial comment in the MMA world ”

Is Bellator not being shown on a decent channel or something? how come hardly anyone here watched it? or was it because its not UFC or Strikeforce so its not worth either talking about or watching at all.

Well hopefully word gets out that BFC is a nice alternative to the other promo’s and they start to gain more viewership… to me I would rather watch BFC than SF these days…

• DaSpyda says:

I’m glad that Ryan Thomas has a chance to achieve his dream again. At first I though he was out when the referee stopped it because he didn’t move but I still believe that was a horrible call by the ref. But better safe then sorry. I believe BFC will be here for a long time because they have tournament style fights.

• Guthookd says:

I think I have to agree Rece. At least at this point BFC looks a little more interesting than SF……that is until they put on some more women’s fights.

I loves me some women’s MMA. Zoila, Shanya, Gina…….finer than the ring girls and WAY tougher. A perfect combination for a guy like me.

• Dufresne says:

“generated substantial comment in the MMA world ”not on this site unfortunately, i think it received 4 comments last time i looked.

They’ve got it on a crappy channel and they don’t even show it on that channel half the time. I had my DVR set to record last weeks and I got baseball instead. Luckily they replayed it at like 3 am so I set it to record and that time it actually had fights on it.

I love Bellator. It may not have as many top tier fighters as the UFC or supposedly SF, but they have a lot of young future talent fighting their hearts out and that makes for a great show.

• Bellator has a great product but a somewhat crappy TV deal.

Whether or not the events air live depends on where you live in the country. Bellator 13 and 15 were and will be tape delayed for me with additional pre-emption. 14 was live. Not sure about the rest of the season.

And I know there are a couple of DFW readers here on 5Oz…. Bellator 19 on May 20 has been announced for Grand Prairie with a Joe Soto/Diego Saraiva superfight headlining. Hope to see you guys there..

• Angry Mike says:

Yeah, the big problem with watching Bellator is getting access to the obscure channel. At least I can watch it this year. Last year I couldn’t get it for love or money.

As far as the stoppage is concerned, I couldn’t see the choke or Thomas very clearly. What I did see look more like a crank with Thomas’ head pushed downward at a pretty severe angle. I wonder if the ref was worried about spinal injury rather than his losing consciousness.

• hindsightufuk says:

yeah it was an ugly looking choke alright, but the ref should have lifted his arm to see if he was out. i think it looked bad and the ref panicked and stopped it

• fanoftna33 says:

I watched the first week of this seasons Bellator FC but forgot to set my dvr to record the series unfortunately so I missed all of week 2. So far they have been pretty good MMA to watch.