George Sotiropoulos vs. Kurt Pellegrino set for UFC 116

A lightweight matchup between title contenders George Sotiropoulos and Kurt Pellegrino has been pencilled in for UFC 116 on July 3 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The news of the anticipated match up comes courtesy of a recent report from MMAMania.

Sotiropoulos (12-2-0) is currently riding a six-fight win streak and is yet to taste defeat inside the Octagon while Pellegrino (16-4-0) also looks in the best form of his career having won his last four on the trot.

Both men will enter the bout on the back of big hometown victories with the Aussie dominating Joe Stevenson back at UFC 110 in Sydney, Australia and “Batman” throttling Fabricio Camoes at last month’s UFC 111 in Newark, New Jersey.

UFC 116 will be headlined by returning heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar as he puts his title on the line against interim champ Shane Carwin.

• Rich S. says:

Nice fight..

Sotiro really brings another level of Jiu Jitsu to the Lightweight division, but Pellegrino is a dominant wrestler with great BJJ of his own, and some sick boxing..

Should be good..

• Dufresne says:

I’m pretty happy with this matchmaking as well. The winner of this fight should probably be considered in the top tier of the LW division and matched up with the loser of the rumored Penn/Edgar fight with the winner of that fight getting Maynard.

• fanoftna33 says:

I love Pellagrino, but for George this is kind of a step back or at best another on the same level of his last win. I would have liked to see him really jump to one of the bigger names in the LW division as Kurt is a great fighter but has shown in the past that he is more a gate keeper than a true top guy.

• Jstew3785 says:

How many gatekeepers are there in MMA? It seems like every time they announce a fight someone is called a gatekeeper or will be reduced to a gatekeeper status if they lose.

• fanoftna33 says:

Not an easy question, because it changes by weight class. The better the weight class’s elite fighters are the more gatekeepers you have. The LW division has many because it has (until last weekend) one very dominate champ- then about 5 or 6 guys who are head and shoulders above the rest of the division- then your gatekeepers. Guys like Miller, Pellagrino, Stevenson, Tibau, Lauzon etc guys who are solid fighters and will win more often than lose, but never win the big one.

This cards going to be a money maker with Brocks anticipated return… Mo money, mo money.

I like pellagrino in this one…

• Guthookd says:

Should be a good fight. I pick Kurt as well Rece. His ground game is pretty solid as I recall. His kickboxing is not bad either.

However it works out, it’s a good addition to the card IMO.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Both of these guys are improving and are exciting to watch-With that said-I am going to go with Sotiropoulos by submission in the third

• MCM says:

Great addition to the card. I love me some Batman! Whoever wins this fight is gonna (or should) be one fight away from a title shot. It’s a tough one to call though. Kurt got subbed by Diaz so it’s not inconceivable to pick George by sub. But Pellegrino was beating the piss out of Nate before he got caught in that triangle and Sotiropoulos is not as lanky or as good off his back IMO. I’m gonna go for Pellegrino but, truth be told, I won’t be upset if George takes it either.

• BillyWarhol says:

Solid Card – I’m Pickin’ Kurt to Win by TKO and I’m Excited to see Brock lay some Heavy Ground n Pound on Carwin.

Hopefully Dana’s listening in + will Lay some Ringside Seats on me with the Lovely + Talented Lariana!!

• elkymbo says:

Go George. I can see lots of good things in his future and it’d be bloody tops to see an Aussie champ. Great boxing skill and top level Brazilian jiu jitsu skills. Remind you of anyone?

• hindsightufuk says:

i’ll be rooting for george, after the way he treated joe on the floor, cant be many people gonna out grapple him. plus kurts stand up is less than impressive also. hopefully it will be a pure grappling expo

• Niv says:

This fight should be a beauty, I’m pumped for this as both fighters go for it not stop.

I too see a win here for Sotiropoulos and see him making his long awaited push towards a title shot, can’t wait.

• Con says:

This a solid matchup. Kurt has won four straight and this will test him to see if he is a contender or a “gatekeeper”. How many “gatekeepers” are 7-3 in the UFC anyway.

• moosebaby02 says:

like them both but i have have to go with George on this one. love this fight