King Mo dominates Gegard Mousasi to become new Strikeforce light heavyweight champion

There’s a new sheriff in town at 205 pounds in Strikeforce, as Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal utilized an obscenely superior wrestling ability to manhandle Gegard Mousasi and tear the light heavyweight championship from his waist

Takedowns were the name of the game in the title clash that took place this evening during “Strikeforce: Nashville” live on CBS, with Lawal serving up Mousasi a costly wrestling clinic over the bulk of the five championship rounds between the two.  Gegard had no answer for the takedowns of Mo, as the post-fight statistics revealed that Muhammed was succesful in 9 out of 12 takedown attempts.

Lawal improves his record to an unblemished 7-0 with the victory over Mousasi, while Gegard – who had been riding a fifteen fight win streak heading into this evening’s defeat – drops to 28-3 overall.

“Y’all go ahead and boo me,  but I’m going to keep on winning. So, thank you to my haters,” said Mo following the bout in response to a brief spurt of jeers from a small chunk of the crowd.

• Dufresne says:

Mo stuck to his game plan and it worked for him. But if he doesn’t improve his cardio he won’t be able to hold that title against a fighter with better wrestling than Gegard (which is apparently zero).
    Mo was gassed by the end of the 1st and the only thing more painful to watch for the next 4 rounds than Mo’s heavy breathing was Mousasi’s lack of takedown defense. How in the world do you get to be a champion of any major promotion if you can’t defend a single leg?

• Lethal Liquid says:

MO is an incomplete fighter and he dominated Mousasi

• moosebaby02 says:

so is Mo for real or is Mousasi a dude??
    congrats to Mo cause i thought is was dead man walking at the end of the 1st.

• moosebaby02 says:

a dud???
    sorry

• David Andrest says:

9 takedowns. vs. 150 more strikes landed you make the call.

• moosebaby02 says:

ok i

No , MMA judging is flawwed beyond belief. Mo won with Takedowns and takedowns alone. The striking numbers were so lopsided against him it’s not even funny. 9 takedowns. vs. 150 more strikes landed you make the call.  (Quote)

• marmalade_sally says:

• moosebaby02 says:

There is far too much consideration given to takedowns. Takedowns are just an action/movement used to establish what the fighter would consider advantageous body position much the same as circling or pulling guard might help certain fighters. It is what is done with these positions that should carry more weight and besides round 3, Mousasi was clearly more active and accurate on his back than mo.  (Quote)

understandable
    but the rulse or the “PERCEPTION” has been in place for years now…….and everyone knows it.
    So just cause in your head (as a fighter) and mine/yours (as a fan) knows that the system is fucked dosent mean judges who are scoreing the fight who have been doing the same thing for years are just going to “SEE THE LIGHT”

• redness says:

Mouassi couldnt do a thing I think he totally thought that Mo would be completely gased after the second. I never thuoght his take defence was that bad or is Mo’s take downs that good. Either way Mouassi never seem urgent at any point during the fight and Mo deserved the win.

• Guthookd says:

ok i ok i give you a thumbs up on the stats but what the HELL dose that have to do with who controled the fight??? Sorry but Mousasi lost and you could see it in his own eyes when they rasied Mo’s hand. I lost 2 bills on that one so i am soooo looking forward too how im going to exsplain that one to my wife  (Quote)

• Guthookd says:

All those takedowns equal cage control. All those light ass punches from Mousasi were not affective. If you think Mousasi won the fight then I just don’t even know what to say about that man. He lost and he did a shitty job of loosing.

• Guthookd says:

And it’s not the quatity of strikes they are judging….it is affective striking they are looking for.I have a feeling Gegard was either sick with the flu or with staff in the blood stream, at least I hope he has a good excuse like that. I was taken back with his lack of wrestling and energy altogether. WTF was that.  (Quote)

Quatity = Quantity…my bad…I’m all worked up..LOL.

• Lethal Liquid says:

That was Gegard Mousasi at your srevice. He look like this in the Sokojoul fight except Remmy had no gameplan. He was exposed. He’s overrated. He’s young also and can come back

• damonkolt says:

Mousasi is going to need to cut weight if he can’t deal with powerful wrestlers, he reminded me of Brandon Vera in the HW division. Also, please show a little emotion, even after the fighter it was as if he need to get this over with to go do something more important, I just didn’t get that effort at all.

• barbarycoast says:

Way to go King MO!-Wasnt pretty but his performance was effective-As for Mousasi, he is very young and has now learned a very important American MMA lesson. Every foreign MMA fighter coming to the U.S has to study and learn how to negate the wrestling equation

• diceman says:

All those takedowns equal cage control.All those light ass punches from Mousasi were not affective.If you think Mousasi won the fight then I just don’t even know what to say about that man.He lost and he did a shitty job of loosing.

• sexy-yama says:

Mo was Motastic! bad luck moose you shoulda learned more from gsp lol j/ks

• marmalade_sally says:

I understand the point of cage control but it is simply given too much weight the scoring. It effects the way most fights are fought. I love ground work, but I’m sick of watching wrestlers stuck in someones guard landing nothing for rounds at a time. Too many fights are decided by a sloppy takedown at the end of a round like Franklin v. Wandy. I don’t feel like paying $50 a month too watch a bunch of Div-3 wrestlers establish “cage control”

Unbelievable… You would have thought gegard was on his last fight with the promotion not shields… After the first round I thought for sure gegard had this then he decided to put it in cruise control for 4 rounds… Not sure what happened there but it def wasn’t a good thing for SF especially as an opening fight To me that fight just sucked…

• moosebaby02 says:

Mo’s face would seem to disagree with your statement. Not saying they were all power shots, but those upkicks and hammer fists did damage.Gegard didn’t put on a show, but lets come back to earth and stop using words like “dominated”.Was Mo punishing him on the ground? Picking him apart on his feet? I saw none of these things. Oh Cage Control, wow!!! yeah thats one of many things that are used to judge a fight. There are other aspects like actual strikes and sub attempts. None of which Mo did.  (Quote)

AGREED, but that still isnt going to change how fights are judge

• moosebaby02 says:

Mo was Motastic! bad luck moose you shoulda learned more from gsp lol j/ks  (Quote)

tell me about it. there go’s me golfing today

• Nick Havok says:

I’m just glad the crowd booed King Mo during his post fight interview. That was probably the most entertaining part of that entire shitty fight.

And I’m sure the non-stop manhumping probably killed the ratings too. I know I could bearly watch it…and I’m a hardcore fan. I’m sure the normal Joe flipped this shit off ten minutes in.

But has there ever been a bigger tool than King Mo in all of MMA? Minus Team Dis-Gracie fighters…and I say no way Jose. I mean did you hear his post fight interview? LOL, what a clown…

King Mo – “I just got done fighting for CBS…now they need to put me on CSI”

Crowd – “BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!”

King Mo – “He hit me a bunch, but it didn’t hurt none…it only did damage to my face”

Crowd – “BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!”

King Mo – “You can keep on booing me…I’m just gonna keep winning! I’d like to thank all my haters!”

Crowd – “BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!”

…so yeah, you think anyone is holding their breath to see Burger-King Mo fight again? LOL…I know I’m not.

• Jak says:

Havok with one of the best posts of the day! Couldn’t agree more.

• blue says:

Wow, I was total disappointed with Gegard Mousasi. The last three times I watched him fight I was completely satisfied as a consumer and could only mutter ‘Wow’! What I saw last night was horrible and beyond explanation. He must have some sort of staph infection but that doesn’t explain his non-existent takedown defense.

• Dufresne says:

Wow, I was total disappointed with Gegard Mousasi.The last three times I watched him fight I was completely satisfied as a consumer and could only mutter ‘Wow’!What I saw last night was horrible and beyond explanation.He must have some sort of staph infection but that doesn’t explain his non-existent takedown defense.

I went back and watched a few of his earlier fights, and I have to say that he didn’t really do very well against Sokoudjou’s takedowns either. I think if Sokoudjou hadn’t gassed as badly as he did and didn’t possess a glass jaw he might have been able to do the same thing Mo did.

• hindsightufuk says:

that was hands down the worse performance i ever seen from Gegard. i seen nearly all of his fights and i never seen him that out of condition, sloppy with strikes, lacking any urgency, no movement whatsoever, just completely disinterested. very strange

and i do agree he should be fighting at MW again, or he needs to take time out and strengthen up some more.

on another note, what happens now to the SF LHW division? it consisted of Babalu, Gegard & Mo. so what do they do now? i cant think of one option except put it on hold and let them all go fight in Dreams LHW tournament for the rest of the year, cos there is fuck all fights left in Strikeforce for anyone.

• slammy862 says:

Gegard drags Mo out to deep water only to find out he forgot his floaties.

He had the wrong game plan all together, unless he was hurt or sick, he looked like sh*t.

Mo does have some power in those take-downs though.

• Reflect says:

“DOMINATE”!??????

sorry. he did no dominating.

none….at….all

all he did was take him down and squirm around in his guard.

that decision was just bad judges who thought being on top = winning.

yet more proof MMA judging has a loooooong way to go.

• Reflect says:

“DOMINATE”!??????sorry.he did no dominating.none….at….allall he did was take him down and squirm around in his guard.at the end of the fight gegard landed MORE strikes, HARDER strikes, a higher percentage of strikes & DEFINITELY MORE DAMAGE.that decision was just bad judges who thought being on top = winning.yet more proof MMA judging has a loooooong way to go.

proof to back it up.

according to the stats, Mousasi landed OVER 150 MORE STRIKES than Mo. Not just grazing strikes, those are real strikes that landed cleanly.

• I didn’t recognize that Gegard in the cage last night. No attitude at all. hmmmmmm, does Gegard want out of strikeforce. He sure didn’t care about loosing the belt.

• diceman says:

AGREED, but that still isnt going to change how fights are judge

Of course it will. The sport is in its infancy. Look at the speed in which the level of athlete has risen in 10 years (there was no one like GSP back in 2000, and my guess is that in 2020 we are going to be seeing more guys who are true mix martial artists and don’t just rely on one aspect of their game).

The quality of judging just hasn’t kept up with the sport, but it will eventually catch up and you will have guys who really know and understand the sport judging fights. This stuff takes time.

• bigbadjohn says:

Any new rules which would give Mousasi even a single round would be a calamity. You can’t win a fight if you are not capable of staying on your feet long enough to do any significant damage. Judging can be tinkered with but ultimately the athletes need to improve and implement better strategies under the rules they are being judged. Plus, remember the “Ultimate Fighting Championship” original idea was to test individual Martial art disciplines against each other and obviously some are better suited for the Octagon (Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai) than others and some are arguably imperative (in particular Wrestling).

I’m not a fight coach, but Gegard’s wrestling looks like it could be sharpened or a more technical stand-up gameplan must be applied.

• diceman says:

Here’s the funny thing with all these posts–one side keeps saying that Mousasi did more damage than people (notably the judges) realize and in turn ask “exactly what did Mo do that harmed gegard?”. The other side….well I guess I don’t really know what the other side is saying. Some look like they are saying “cage control” should be judged as more important that strikes landed or subs attempted. Bigbadjohn looks to be saying that fighters should strategize and fight to what they think will score the most points with the judges.

I think thats an awful idea. It has things backwards. Judges should adjust to the sport, not the other way around.

“You can’t win a fight if you are not capable of staying on your feet long enough to do any significant damage.”

Ironic you should post this on a page where Mousasi is a topic. His victory over jacare to win the Dream middleweight tourny is a textbook example that it is possible to finish a guy with strike(s) from your back. In fact, I thought Mo was taking an unnecessary risk by playing with Gegards up kicks.

• thomaswhigham says:

allow elbows

• judges suck says:

Alright, I have read enough. I have realized that the mma sport is growing and people who think they know mma like to talk about it. First of all. True Mo had a game plan. He knew that judges do not watch the fights with any idea what mma is about. Don’t hate the player hate the game. With that being said, everybody writing these comments like Mo dominated Gegard, well You guys are the ones that are most likely new to the world of mma. Don’t be ashamed about it, I’m actualy glad people are watching events other than just ufc.

Now, for anyone who knows the sport, first should be pissed at the ref. Every time Mo was pulling a lay and pray they were not stood up. However every time gegard was on his back and moving trying to bait MO, he got stood up. Gegard was not allowed to fight his fight. You could see it in his face he was getting bored. As if to say” hey you got me down, now what “. Mo had absolutely no ground game. He had take downs by the bundle, but then again he put Gegard in a controling position. THIS IS THE ONE THING JUDGES AND PEOPLE WATCHING ALWAYS FORGET OR NEVER NEW: A JU-JITSU FIGHTER IS IN A DOMINATING AND CONTROLING POSITION WHILE ON HIS BACK, as long as he is working for a submision or striking to win that way. So, now with this new info people, watch that fight agian. You will see that Gegard Mousasi clearly won the fight even when you add the factor of control into the fight.