Penn vs. Edgar rematch in the works

A immediate rematch of last Saturday’s UFC 112 lightweight title bout between Frankie Edgar and B.J. Penn is looking likely, according to a short video posted by Penn on his official website.

“The UFC called us yesterday, and there’s probably a rematch in the works with Frankie Edgar,” Penn said, “(It’s) still tentative, but it looks like they want to do the fight again.”

The former title holder was handed his first lightweight defeat in over eight years by Edgar, an 8 to 1 underdog going in to the match. Although all three judges awarded the bout in favour of the younger, faster challenger, the contest was certainly tight enough to warrant an immediate rematch. The newly minted champion agrees.

“If anybody’s earned a rematch, it’s B.J.,” Edgar told Bruce Buffer. “He’s a legend at 155. I’m ready for it if that’s definitely going to happen. I’m the champion. I don’t get to pick who I fight; they tell me who I fight.”

One possibility for the bout is an Aug. 28 event currently planned for Boston.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Oh wow-please let this happen-first of all-B.J. never lost the title in the first place and I am not that big of a B.J fan-It was painfully obvious that Frankie doesn’t deserve to hold the title-undersized(admittedly)-I am so tired of these aerobic people passing themselves off as fighters

• fanoftna33 says:

I am not a big fan of seeing the same fight twice in a row. I would like to see B J get at least one win before another title shot. In the LW division there are so many guys who could make a great match up and so many possiablities that it would be nice to see Edgar defend the belt against Kenny, Maynard, Griffen, Sotiropoulis any of these would be very good fights. and you could match B J up with anybody else from the list and consider the winner the #1 guy.

lightning won’t strike twice- BJ for the win…..

Hey Dana put this fight on for free as the making up to the fans fight for that Silva BS!

• sides666 says:

I though penn seemed like he was hurt and under trained hopefully he will be in good condition for the rematch

• Dufresne says:

From what I heard he had a pretty bad sinus infection and was on antibiotics. If that’s true it could explain why he seemed to gas so early when his conditioning has been great in his last few bouts.

I guess I’m happy about this fight, I really wanted it to be BJ v Maynard instead of Edgar to begin with, but I guess we’ll have to wait for that to happen.

• JOEgun says:

yea, im not so sure Frankie will be able to pull off a win again. BJ didnt look his usual self in that fight. Frankie is in trouble. This will be a much different fight than the first

• Guthookd says:

Do it Frankie!! Quick like a gazzel. :)

• crane_style says:

I saw the words “immediate” in the report, but not in what BJ said.

This sounds like wishful thinking.I would be really surprised if they fought again right away. The only time the UFC hits the immediate rematch button is when there is an obvious miscarriage of justice, such as Machida/Rua or the Bonner head butt.

All you BJ worshipers will probably flame me for this, but there was no injustice in the scoring of the bout. It was close, and 50-45 was inaccurate, but that doesn’t change the fact that BJ lost.

• Man, I really wished the would have gone the Edgar/Florian, Penn/Maynard route.

If you end up with Edgar/Penn or Maynard, boom… rematches.

If you end up with Florian/Penn, you get a reverse rematch with Penn challenging for Florian’s belt.

The least intriguing match-up would be Florian/Maynard but even then the UFC coud sell it as the No. 1 LW showdown as Florian beat the champ and Maynard beat the legend.

• Vogairian says:

It was close enough that an immediate rematch wouldn’t bother me, but I also would rather see Edgar/Florian and Penn/Maynard and the winners facing off before a possible rematch.

My only question is, if BJ is so looking to moving up, why even bother with this?

• Con says:

BJ was a great champ and deserves a rematch. That being said Edgar won every round minus round 2. I could see maybe giving BJ round one but he was not prepared for the fight Edgar brought.

• hindsightufuk says:

totally agree

• 3OAM says:

I agree with whoever said to make him fight at least once before the title shot. I mean, the judges said B.J. lost. It was a unanimous decision…were there three faulty judges judging that fight?

I know its an unpopular opinion, but B.J. had a good long run and he’s still a fighter. Let him work his way back up.

• Rich S. says:

I hate these instant rematches.. It seems like a cheat to the new champ..

BJ/Edgar and Shogun/Machida are in the same field when it comes to this. To beat BJ, or Machida, you have to have the absolute most PERFECT gameplan, and follow through without a single mistake. So you win, but then you’re scheduled to do it again months later. And it will be twice as hard now (as if following a gameplan perfectly wasn’t hard enough the first time) because, in this case, BJ and Machida, will NOT make the mistakes they made the first time, again.. BJ will come back into the fight with a stronger cardio than he’s ever had, he will hit harder, move faster, and all around work Frankie.. Shogun, as much as I love him, will not be able to pull all the stops he did last time around.. He’s fighting arguably the smartest fighter ever, so he has to come up with an all new PERFECT gameplan, and give it another go.. It’s a bit different for Shogun, of course, because he didn’t technically win the first one, but still..

• Angry Mike says:

BJ definitely gets a title shot, but I don’t think it should be immediately. There are some contenders like Maynard who should get one first. I like the idea of Florian fighting for the title again, but he’s already lost to BJ and should be behind contenders who haven’t.

• hindsightufuk says:

yep i agree. i’m actually a huge BJ fan, i dont think he particularly lost the fight, but he sure didnt do enough to win it either. i was hoping we’d get to see him fight some people at 155 that he wouldnt get to fight when he was the champ. ie Guida/Diaz/Gomi/Sotiropolus/Miller/Lauzon. most of those may never get a title shot, so BJ as champ would never fight them. but not not as champ there are more possibilities, you dig.
    i still dont think we’ll see it as their next fight, its not like it was a wicked exciting fight that everyone wants to see straight away. it might even be tough to sell. let frankie have his moment, i dont see it lasting long anyway

• hindsightufuk says:

no not? what does that mean?

• hindsightufuk says:

no not? not not not? what the fuck

• Dufresne says:

• fanoftna33 says:

Hindsight, I forgot all about Miller. A match with B J and Jim would be pretty good.

• moosebaby02 says:

This is off topic, but Dana White just announced that Anderson Silva will be fighting Chael Sonnen next. He also said that if Anderson does something like this last performance he’s gonna do everything he can to have him cut from the UFC. Don’t know if that’s hype or not, but that’s what he said.  (Quote)

where??? and when??

• moosebaby02 says:

want to read it

• Dufresne says:

He was a guest on “Rome is Burning” on ESPN when he said it. I just happened to be watching and figured some folks might want to know about it. He didn’t say when the fight would be scheduled for though.

• manny says:

I also read the same thing, Sonnen will get the next crack at Silva and if Silva performs the same as UFC 112, Dana will cut him.

First of all, I expect Silva to perform the same as UFC 112 w/ a different result, a KO. Sonnen has benn disrespecting him for awhile now and he’ll get what he deserves.

Second, no way in hell Dana releases Silva from the UFC, he’s all talk thinking he’s the man by telling Silva how to perform in the ring. As long as Silva gets the “W” its all that matters to him.

I expect Silva to KO Sonnen quickly and shut dana white’s mouf and everyone else critizing his fighting.

• inkythewinky says:

if anything dana would just keep silva locked in a contract for as long as possible, DW is getting lower and lower on my respect lvl , punishing the champ that wins cause he didnt knock out a challenger who didnt do anything untill the last round, why isnt he punishing maia? why does he keep throwing chumps to silva? he want highlight reel footage.

• Dufresne says:

I think with Chadl he will get the action he’s wanting. Last time Silva went 5 rounds and bored everyone to death they gave him an agressive fighter in Forrest, this time they’re giving him an agressive fighter in Chael.

I completely expect Chael to push the pace and come after Anderson which will most likely end up with the highlight reel finish everyone wanted this last time.

• Angry Mike says:

Blame White all you want, but the boos from the crowd said it all. Silva was out of line, White knows it, everybody who was there and watched knew, and anybody who watched the ppv should know it, to. Silva’s a great fighter, but there’s no excuse for his clowning and showboating.

• Vogairian says:

Honestly I don’t even think everyone wants a highlight finish, they just don’t want to see two rounds of Anderson picking someone apart and then going into sleep mode for two rounds.

• triangleman says:

As far as the rematch goes I am all for BJ getting an immediate rematch. If he was the one time defending champion it would be one thing but lets be honest. He has owned and dominated the division for 8 years!!!!! Anyone can have a bad night and if has only one in eight years, give the man a shot to get what is his back immediately!!!! He was soundly beaten no doubt….but I would lay any amount of money this rematch doesnt come close to going the distance!!!!!!!

• bigbadjohn says:

shame on you inky, Chael is no chump. Marquardt knocked Maia out in seconds, then with a head of steam got dominated thoroughly by none other than Chael Sonnen, not the biggest NAME but this wrestling star brings the pace and has a deep gas tank

• edub says:

Wouldn’t be nearly the first time all three judges got it wrong.

I like this idea. Shogun got his shot right away. I think it was close enough to warrant the rematch. Have Gray and Kenny fight each other for #1 contender and you have your main event and co-main event right there.