Dana White Confirms Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva

Dana White appeared on Rome is Burning today and has officially confirmed Anderson Silva’s next opponent. Chael Sonnen will be next in line to face the middleweight division kingpin, no date has been confirmed yet.

White was very open and honest with his feelings about Silva, and what implications there will be if Silva has another lackluster performance:

If he ever acts like that again in the ring I will cut him. I don’t care if he’s the pound for pound best fighter in the world.

I don’t care if (Anderson Silva) is the middleweight champion. I will cut him, absolutely.

Sonnen defeated Nate Marquardt at UFC 109 to earn his title shot , after dominating former number one contender Yushin Okami at UFC 104.

Sonnen has gone on record with his thoughts about Silva, describing him as a “dirt bag” and that its his “moral obligation” to defeat Anderson. Sonnen has talked up a fight with Anderson since his arrival in the promotion, and now he gets his wish.

Since Anderson took no real damage against Damian Maia, expect the fight to be booked soon, and not to be the main event.

More on this in the coming days.

• Dufresne says:

I expect Sonnen to come forward and try and make good on his words, but I don’t see it ending well for him. He’s got very solid wrestling and some nice GnP, but I would have to say that Hendo’s is better, and he got choked out.
    I do hope that this fight is booked soon, and hopefully it’s a free fight somehow, because I just payed $50 for garbage and until I see Silva put on the performances that used amaze me, I’m not plopping down that much again.

• xtreme_machine says:

you wont cut him you pussy

so quit being so but hhurt about this guy’s greatness

• Rich S. says:

Sheesh, is Vitor STILL out? I’m guessing the fact that Vitor isn’t available, and Anderson barely even got touched in there with Maia, is hinting towards a relatively SOON date for this fight.. Which is good.

I like Sonnen, but I don’t see how he could beat Anderson. Then again, I have a hard time seeing how any one in the UFC period could beat Anderson, so making that statement is pretty much pointless now.. I suppose I gave him 0% chance to beat Marquardt as well, so what the hey, he could pull it off.. I guess that depends on Anderson’s attitude. I, for one, think he might be slightly angry/humbled/ready to give the best performance of his career after all these words from Dana.. Which is also good.

• slammy862 says:

What a perfect storm for a beatdown. Sonnen actually has been disrespectful towards Silva and White has him pinned against the wall to stop somebody.

Not a good situation for Chael.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Yeah-Chael is going to get the beating of his life-He is basically a pretty boring version of Dan Henderson

• blue says:

This has a making of a great promotional trailer on PPV. Truth be told, every challenger put in front of Silva is going to be given 0.0% chance of beating Silva until Silva actually losses a fight; see Mike Tyson and BJ Penn as examples.

So I am not going to go out on a limb and predict Anderson loses, but I will be ordering the fight and cheering for Sonnen to win. Cannot take anything away from the success and ability of Silva, he is the best pound-for-pound fighter out there, but that doesn’t mean I have to like him.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I don’t care if he beats Silva or gets KTFO in 1st round or something in between I just want to see Silva take the match seriously.

Sonnen has some top notch wrestling so if he uses it to press the action and go for take downs like he claims he wants to then it has the makings of a decent match up.

If Silva pulls the same stuff again I guess we will see if DW is good for his word.

I am not willing to say he can’t beat Silva b/c how many said Penn couldn’t/wouldn’t be beat? Anything can happen. Wouldn’t mind Silva losing so if he wants to move up in weight he won’t be tying up the title at MW while he does it.

Either way just don’t want to feel like I wasted my PPV money on a Silva fight.

• MickeyC says:

Sonnen has the ability to be a campion, but I dout it will happen with this fight. The cards are stacked against him. We all know Anderson is a tough man to beat. Mia could not do it and Anderson hardly ingaged at all those last two rounds. I wonder who anderson will be the most angey with by fight night, White or Sonnen. Either way Sonnen will take the heat for it. The only way he can tell them both to “F*#^ Off” so to speak is to go in ready to kill, Sonnen will have a hard nights work, that is for sure. If this will not be the main event, I wonder what will be?

• Vogairian says:

Outside of the Bisping fight has there been an exciting version of Dan Henderson in about 2-3 years?

• moosebaby02 says:

dont care

• Connor Cobain says:

WTF! Ok Anderson is not going to take him seriously, Vitor is the last one with stand-up that can compare to Anderson. Chael is going to be taken out easily. Silva by triangle-choke round 1. I’m dissapointed that Vitor is’nt ready yet. I thought he’d be perfect to get Anderson out of this slump. Anderson plays with Vitor he gets knocked out, if he runs away the whole time he gets decisioned.

• Guthookd says:

OK, I’m going to go out on a limb here and pick Sonnen for the win.

I think he compares to Hendo in a lot of ways, but I think he is far hungrier and has a little better submission defense (and yes, I have seen every single Henderson fight and I’ve been very impressed with his grappling and sub defense). If Filjo couldn’t tap Chael then Anderson cannot tap him either.

I pick Sonnen via GnP stoppage in round 3.

• bigbadjohn says:

Room on the Chael train, Guthooked? Im hoppin on. Chael takes atleast 3 rounds and it goes the distance. Is that too bold?

• Makington says:

I guess there are a couple people who also believe in Chael so maybe I won’t get beaten for saying this as much as I thought but I honestly believe that Chael has the tools to pull this off. Now before you boot me off this site, I’ll explain my reasoning. Granted, Henderson has better, stronger wrestling than Chael, but Hendo doesn’t know that. He dominated the first round and then did what he always does and forgets wrestling completely and tried to stand with Anderson. After getting rocked some hard shots by the world’s best striker, I feel that made the sub on him much easier. Silva didn’t come close to even doing anything to Hendo in the first round when he wasn’t dazed. So even though Silva did sub Hendo and Chael did get caught by that triangle, I still don’t see the submission as likely.

Chael, on the other hand, will not abandon his gameplan of takedown, grind, repeat. He has the energy to keep it up for 25 minutes and I believe the sub defense to last the entire time. He’s like an active Jon Fitch, since he is always looking for better positions and GnP, but he still isn’t that exciting, but it works for sure. I don’t see any chance that he can finish Silva but I definitely can see him grinding out a unanimous decision. I have to give him credit too for how he has begun to sell himself. He knows he isn’t the biggest draw to the title shot, and that’s exactly why he has been so out of character lately and really calling out Anderson. He went from having zero interest to getting people to notice him in a very short time. Even though a lot of comments are people telling him he’s a douche for attacking Anderson, it is still building hype, and it’s working on me.

After all this, Silva might just knock Chael out faster than it took to read this (if you did lol) but I really do believe that Chael will be ready for this, and won’t let Silva get off with a gameplan.

• mu_shin says:

It goes without saying that Silva is top five among all time MMA fighters, possibly the top currently active MMA practitioner, and undoubtedly the greatest middleweight the sport has ever seen.

My feeling after the Maia fight was Silva should be stripped and fired, even though I believe what I stated above.

Chael Sonnen is tough, well rounded, experienced and determined. If he stands with a committed, focused Anderson Silva and tries to go toe to toe, Sonnen will be seperated from consciousness, probably in under two minutes. If Chael fights his own fight, concentrates on his strengths, and manages to take the fight to the ground without getting knocked out, this could be an interesting contest. We can’t forget Silva has formidable ground skills just because he’s a devastating striker, but he has shown some reticence to go to the mat in his last several fights, and Chael may be able to exploit what some percieve as a chink in the Silva armor if he can successfully take Anderson down.

• hindsightufuk says:

i think it could be Silva’s aim to get out of his contract
    but i doubt Dana would really cut him

Sonnen may bring it but I think we see the dame end result with silva getting the win…chael got a big mouth and maybe Anderson will fight with just a lil bit more intensity but I’m certain he won’t have to exert himself to beat chael.

DW will never cut Anderson atleast not under these circumstances, that’s just DW siding with the fans to portray that he’s equally as unhappy as we are but we all know he wouldn’t cut him… Not unless SF was out of business and there was no other promos big enough for him stateside.

This fight should be live & free on Spike tv…

• PACO THE GOAT says:

NO,NO,NO, Strip Silva of his title and ban him from competing under 205. Light Heavy weights and Heavy weights only. I’m tired of him, it’s time to challenge him.

• crane_style says:

Hey Anderson, now HERE’S a fighter who actually is disrespecting you. Does that mean your going to try and do as little fighting as possible in this match as well?

Not that it matters. Win or lose, Sonnen will bring it. Excellent match up.

Until Silva shows some honest humility and admits what he did was against the spirit of the sport, I will be rooting for whoever fights against him.

• 3OAM says:

I’ll bet Dana would cut him. Silva has been talking about retirement and legacy for a long time and he keeps putting on these half-assed fights. The way he’s acting screams, “I’m bored of this.”

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he thoroughly embarrasses Sonnen in some boring fight and announces his retirement…either that or he CLEARLY allows Sonnen to beat him (it would be a sign of disrespect to the man who has been disrespecting him for a long time).

Dana said himself on TUF that he won’t make a fighter fight if he doesn’t want to. Championship clause be damned, Silva can leave.

• manny says:

Once again the ufc lacks to put a top fighter to challenge Silva. His winning streak will continue which the ufc is promoting as the best fighter in the world but then again telling everyone he will get cut if he performs bad. DW needs to shut his mouth and give him gsp.
    I see Silva KO sonnen in the 2nd round and shut dana & all the critics up. I hope he performs the same taunts to Sonnen who has disrespected him far more than Maia did, except ending the fight w/ a KO.I know we will see more taunting to go a long w/ the win and DW can’t do anything about it. GO SILVA!

• Lethal Liquid says:

Why is this even a convo???

Sonnen is not beating Silva… 9 out of 10 times it’s andersons arm getting raised and that’s being nice. maybe this will be a decent fight but sonnen isn’t in that guy.

Silva wouldn’t ever get cut… Why would DW cut him? So he can go to SF fight and have atleast 3 decent fights get a pay day and retire? Or even have his mgt talk Coker into his dreams of having a boxing match… DW would have to be a retard to cut this guy – act like nobody wouldn’t prosper by having him on their roster.

Silva for the win…

• DanFan says:

Is it possible that Dana is saying this to sell the fight? YOU THINK? Dana is not an idiot, he knows that if he shows that he is with the fans, and is talking pretty strong that we will buy the fight…most of us will buy the fight no matter what, but for the fringe guys that may see Silva’s name on the card and just skip it…maybe this kind of incentive will do what it takes to sell it. I don’t think Dana does anything like this, with time to think and calm down, without thinking about it first. If this came out at the post fight presser, then yes, it may be emotional speak…but he has had some time to think and this is a very smart ploy to get the PPV gate up.

• damonkolt says:

I think there is a difference between great and better than everyone. Michael Jordon had a great quote and I know I am murdering the exact words but the question was asked who he measures himself against. His response was himself, when you are the best you have to push yourself to be better than what you have acomplised and not just beating the other person’s best. I think this is where Anderson Silva is right now. He is better than everyone right now but doesn’t have the desire to make himself better. I understand a win is a win, but he will never elvate to ‘GREATNESS’ because of his additude and his disrepctiful behavior in the ring. Think Barry Bonds(even before the steriod thing) or Gary Shettfield in baseball, Jeff George and Terrell Owens in football, or even Kobe Bryant in basketball. Some of the best talent you will ever find but they put ego in front of immortality in the sports world.

• Angry Mike says:

Is Sonnen the underdog? Yes. Is it likely he loses? Yes. Is it possible for underdogs to beat “unbeatable” champs? Ask Frankie Edgar. With the right game plan, Sonnen has a shot, no pun intended. Silva hasn’t faced a grappler like him, at least not in the UFC, not even Henderson. Henderson is a great wrestler, but he looks to finish fights with his overhand right. Sonnen is laser-locked on the takedown and gnp. Marquardt is a bjj black belt, and he couldn’t get out from underneath Sonnen.

Sonnen’s biggest issue is whether his hands are good enough to set up the takedown, especially against a striker like Silva. If Silva is quick enough to consistently stuff the takedowns, Sonnen doesn’t have the skills to trade with him (Who does?). But if Sonnen can take Silva down, he’s very much in the fight. He’s wrestled at a such a high level that he knows how to prepare and compete, and he’ll be mentally prepared and well conditioned.

• moosebaby02 says:

I know everyone is pissed at Anderson and rightfully so. Dana’s talking a lot of shit and believe me he isn’t stupid enough to cut Anderson. This is what happens when you let your emotions override your common sense. You’ll find yourself talking about cutting an all-time great or in the case of this website you’ll have people saying Sonnen will stop Anderson in the 3rd Round. All of you who think Chael is the one to overthrow Silva’s reign have lost your mind to emotion. Keep in mind that he barely engaged Maia and he fucked him up.  (Quote)

Agree or Disagree

Cant agree more.
    to me this is a non issue. Spider will beat him. Hopefully Chael will talk so much shit that he pisses off Anderson so bad that he might want to kill him.

• bigbadjohn says:

If hendo can take him down, Chael can. plus he can keep the pace. Anderson is obv a heavy fave, he should get all over Chael early because if he spends more than a round on his back his punches wont be so crisp. And for the record Anderson has not faced many wrestling studs so dont laugh at Sonnens chances or you could end up with major foot in mouth syndrome

• Kuch says:

People are fooling themselves if they think Sonnen will even be a challenge to Silva or is even capable to putting on an exciting fight. Sonnen is a poor man’s Henderson. Keep fooling yourselves into thinking Sonnen is going “pay Silva back for disprespecting us fans” but that’s not going to happen. Silva will showboat the entire fight and still win easily.

• WarCry says:

Chael Sonnen looks like yet another opponent slated for destruction. Chael has nothing for Anderson Silva. I’m pleased that Chael will supply fuel to ignite Anderson Silva’s competitive fire. I hope Chael has a plastic surgeon on speed dial because he’s gonna rearrange Sonnen’s face just like he did Rich Franklin. Who he ran out of the division by the way. Belfort injury probably won’t see him challenge for the title until Jan. 2011. So in the mean time we’re stuck with Dan Henderson light vs Anderson Silva. Anderson Silva via unending bloodshed

• Angry Mike says:

One big difference between Sonnen and Henderson is that Henderson broke/quit/ gave up against Silva and was submitted. Maybe Sonnen will too, but I haven’t seen him do it yet.

• Guthookd says:

….Sonnen is a poor man’s Henderson…….  (Quote)

Oah man that is a funny line!! I lol’d at work there for a second.

We’ll see. I just hope they get it done sooner than later.

All this talk has me wanting to see Hendo vs. Sonnen. Throw in Kos vs. Fitch. Cap it off with A. Silva vs. Machida. You got an interesting card right there. If we could get Lauzon vs. Lauzon we’d have it set.

• inkythewinky says:

i would lmao if anderson did it again, dana would no way cut him, DW used to bee cool in my books, but the more i hear him the less and less i think of him

• Dufresne says:

If we could get Lauzon vs. Lauzon we’d have it set.

That’s a fight that could actually happen. They’ve both said they’d be up for it if that’s the way things needed to be and that they’d beat the hell out of each other in the ring and still be brothers afterwards. Just another reason I love those guys.

• Makington says:

They actually took it back. Well, they didn’t say they won’t, but they said they are going to avoid it if they can. still respectable as hell, but they said it was really hard when they fought on the same card, even though they weren’t fighting each other. Here’s the article.

• JayDoc says:

“OK, I’m going to go out on a limb here and pick Sonnen for the win.I think he compares to Hendo in a lot of ways, but I think he is far hungrier and has a little better submission defense (and yes, I have seen every single Henderson fight and I’ve been very impressed with his grappling and sub defense).If Filjo couldn’t tap Chael then Anderson cannot tap him either.Chael will get the takedown. He will fend off triangles and armbars and deliver punishment through the whole fight. He will out work Anderson on the ground, and that is where this fight will be taking place.I pick Sonnen via GnP stoppage in round 3.”
    ___________________________________________________________________

I’m pulling for Chael and think he has a small shot because of superior wrestling, but I’m not on board with your estimation of his submission defense. Case in point:

Loss Demian Maia Submission (Triangle Choke) UFC 95 – Sanchez vs. Stevenson 2/21/2009 1 2:37

Loss Paulo Filho Verbal Submission (Armbar) WEC 31 – Faber vs. Curran 12/12/2007 2 4:55

Loss Jeremy Horn Submission (Armbar) UFC 60 – Hughes vs. Gracie 5/27/2006 2 1:17

Loss Renato Sobral Submission (Triangle Choke) UFC 55 – Fury 10/7/2005 2 1:20

Loss Jeremy Horn Submission (Guillotine Choke) SF 6 – Battleground in Reno 9/23/2004 2 2:35

Loss Forrest Griffin Submission (Triangle Choke) IFC – Global Domination 9/6/2003 1 2:25

• Guthookd says:

I’ve always wanted to see an all Brother vs. Brother card.

Lauzons
    Emelinanenkos
    Millers

Who else is there?

• inkythewinky says:

shamrocks lol

• Makington says:

A 20 man battle royal between every Gracie out there.

Or the Nogueira bros.

• danw84 says:

The Diaz bros

• danw84 says:

Sorry to double post, but man would I love seeing Nick vs Nate. I HATE those guys, so I’m guaranteed to be happy regardless of the outcome. At least one of them is gonna lose.