Frankie Edgar playing second fiddle to a mockery

UFC 112 was a night of firsts; the first time in Abu Dhabi; the first time a UFC event took place outdoors; and the first time Dana White left a title fight before it was over.

The source of his ire and most of the UFC fans was Anderson Silva’s embarrassingly disrespectful performance against Demian Maia. Dana White and many others have talked about Silva being pound-for-pound the greatest fighter in the MMA world and it was hard to argue that fact despite odd performances at UFC 90 and 97 respectively, until last night.

I can honestly say I have never seen a champion try to win a round via “hulking up” like a Vince McMahon puppet or from outright teasing, but that is what Anderson did laduring UFC 112. The sad thing is it should have been a great night for the sport, a good card on paper, a new night in a new country, a new champ at lightweight and then the pound-for-pound most disrespectful fighter in MMA has to ruin it. And for what? What was it about Maia that made him so hard to finish, what was it about doing line dancing, shadow boxing, and Tai Chi in the ring over actually ending the fight and going home that was so enticing to Anderson?

And at this point who wants to watch this guy fight again? I agree with Dana, although he would never actually do it, but put Silva on Spike in a prelim and pay him prelim wages til he decides to actually do his job, which is fight his opponent.

Not to take anything away from Anderson’s record, but last night was nothing like the Franklin fights, the Leben, or the Nate Marquart fight. Last night was not only embarrassing for the UFC, it was embarrassing for the sport itself from its “pound-for-pound” spokesperson on a number of levels. After the fight while in the ring Anderson was apologetic but in the press conference he was much more defiant; “I came here well-trained, but Demian disrespected me, not as a person, but he disrespected me as a fighter. I take that very seriously. I came here to do my job, which was to beat him up and punish him. That’s exactly what I did.”

Now I have been watching the UFC since 1993, boxing and professional wrestling since about 1983 and if I have learned just one thing, it is if your opponent disrespects you then you do in fact punish him, by fighting him. You know, punches, kicks, in some cases the Darc’e Choke, whatever. I dare say the fight between the Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 6 held more actual fighting in it than what happened on Saturday night, and that was scripted.

The fact is that this will mark the third odd if not out right embarrassing performance by someone who we should all be talking about with great reverence today after a tremendous war against Maia. But instead Dana has taken away the chance to fight GSP, although I am sure he will rescind that decision, and we are left $60 poorer and not all that willing to fall for another Anderson fight any time soon.

But the worst part of all of this, is that on that same night Frankie Edgar beat BJ Penn for the lightweight title with a stunning performance from a fighter most had counted out – myself included – before he got in the cage. Now instead of being the top MMA story on Sunday morning he has to play second fiddle to a legendary embarrassment.

• retrofitting123 says:

ive said it before ill say it again,he needsto challenged to perform,let Cain Valasquez kick his ass on spike and he will be a new fighter after

• one zero five says:

Your an idiot.

I think this back-lash on Silva is crap. Yes, the last round was ridiculous. But Silva completely out classed Maia the first three rounds.. He just battered him. His fluidity is unmatched in the ring. I actually think he’s one of the few (if not the only) truly comfortable fighters in the ring. He doesn’t appear nervous or on edge at all. And no one, not a single person can out dodge punches while standing 2 feet in front of an opponent like him.. just freaking art work! If you don’t like him, then don’t watch him.. He’s a hell of a lot more entertaining than the lay & prayers (like GSP or Fitch).

You want to blame someone?? Blame Dana White. Sonnen is/was the next guy in line, not Maia. And if UFC had used it’s collective brains (or pulled out of what ever stupid deal they did with Abu Dhabi), they would have waited just one (maybe two) more months to put on that fight (which would have been way more entertaining). Maia proved he couldn’t strike (lets not mention the knock out in like 20 odd seconds). And the Thales Leites fight proved that BJJ fighters mixed with Silva prove to be waaaaaaaaaay boring. Why? Because the styles don’t mix. The BJJ guy wants to go to the ground, and Silva will not fall into that trap. Silva is a counter striker, leaving the match to be crap. So not only did Maia not deserve his shot, but it was destined to be a lack luster from the beginning due to stylistic match up.

— Dana (and the UFC brains) knew this, because I knew this. I called it way before the fight began. Yet, they put on the fight anyways and robbed everyone of a great fight. I would have much rather waited for a decent match up (even if it meant another three month wait for Silva to return to the cage). It’s not Silva’s fault, it’s the UFC’s.

• fanoftna33 says:

I think Anderson realized he couldn’t finish Maia as fast as Nate did and was embarrassed for himself so he had to clown around for the rest of the fight to play it off.

• inkythewinky says:

yup i agree with one zero five, dana was mad silva didnt knock a guy out he had no buisness being in that octagon with, why would dana give that belt to silva’s manger? he knew silva had won cause maia wasnt doing anything but shuffling his arms

• Guthookd says:

“pound-for-pound most disrespectful fighter in MMA”

^ very funny comment there man…very funny. I got a laugh out of that one.

Anderson shoud have finished him in the first round, true. He chose to screw around a little. I really don’t care. If he pulls that type of thing on the wrong guy he will get KO’d. Standing there with his hands down and his chin out. It’s all funny until someone smashes him with a straight right. The day will come.

Not to mention Maia did a decent job of offering some attacks without getting too bold. He tried, especially toward the end.

Maybe they should make him fight more often. Maybe a fight every other month is what he needs. Give everybody a shot at him and I guarantee someone will catch him. Sonnen, Nate, all of them….give them all a shot.

• Dufresne says:

Your an idiot.

Before you insult anyone for being an idiot, make sure your own grammar is correct.

• xtreme_machine says:

Fight metric says Bj Penn won the first 3 rounds with edgar wining only the 5th

look it up

• Anoiselikethunder says:

Actually Vitor was next in line, then Sonnen, remember? Both those dudes have been injured so the fights couldn’t go down. Anderson has basically cleaned out the division, leaving Damien Maia left. A guy who has gone either 12 and 1 or 11 and 1 in MMA and whose only loss was to marquardt, a guy who has always been a top contender.

Blame the UFC I guess, but Travis Luter proved that a great grappler has a chance of beating anderson. That fight was entertaining.

Anyway, Anderson could have finished the fight at any point in time and it was completely ridiculous that he ran away [a la huston alexander vs kimbo slice] for 4 rounds. When you’re paying 50 bucks for a main event, you don’t want to see that shit.

The Leites fight sucked, true. And maybe anderson doesn’t want to fight BJJ guys. But if that’s the case then he shouldn’t have taken the fight. At least Maia was trying to push the action.

Maybe he should cruise out and go into K1 or boxing, but if he pulls that same kind of garbage out there he is going to get the same response.

• Guthookd says:

LOL, YOU’RE…as in you are. LOL. Good one Dufresne. He he’s not that far along in school yet.

• Jess says:

Anderson comes in the ring, kneels down before his opponent and bows out of respect. Then proceeds to play cat and mouse for 2 and ½ rounds, by yelling, taunting, putting his hands down, then engages for a second, steps back, dances, throws in some capoeira, does something with his hips that is taken out of the Machida playbook, (Silva is thinking,” I must do the hip move at least 3-4 times out of respect for my good friend Machida, to show him I listen during our sparring matches”.) After he makes a complete a** out of himself by playing instead of fighting, for the second half of round three he runs in circles, and refuses to engage in fighting does this in rounds 4 and 5 to get the decision. Many people on this site comment on how Anderson, needs better competition. I completely agree, but this lesser competition should be a walk in the park for him and he proves that he has all the physical tools to dismantle his opponents in the last three title defenses and proved that he can do it without taking any damage by avoiding his opponents, but he lacks mental strength or the desire to actually finish a weaker opponent. My point is he was very respectful right before the fight bowing to Maia, then is so disrespectful with his cat mouse antics, and made the show of respect in the beginning a bunch of bullsh**. Myself along with the majority of MMA fans hated the way he represented himself in this fight with Maia. I would have to admit though he would be a good wingman at the club, he has some good dance moves.

• Anoiselikethunder says:

Fight metric says Bj Penn won the first 3 rounds with edgar wining only the 5th
    look it up

Yeah, I saw that too. It was really close fight that could have gone either way.

Surprised the arabs didn’t hold DW hostage and threaten a beheading unless they get there 10% investment back…

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I lol’d a bit at the Wrestlemania line. Good column and valid point but, title was about Edgar. Not a big fan of Edgar or BJ but, at least they came to fight.

Too much has been written about Silva and I think not enough about Edgar or even BJ. I think Edgar deserves some praise for beating what many thought might be an unbeatable opponent. I don’t care if fight metric says he didn’t win, the judges said he did and if BJ didn’t want that to happen then he should have found a way to finish Edgar off.

Either way enough about Silva we all know what happened and we all will have to wait and see what is next but, in the mean time we should all be a bit more excited as one of the most competitive weight classes in MMA just got a major shake up and that is a good thing for us fans.

By summer we should have our answer about Edgar because I suspect his 1st defense comes by mid to late Summer and that will tell us alot about whether he just got lucky and BJ had an off night or he is really this good. I don’t care either way I just want to see a good fight and I’m fairly certain win or lose he will give it to us.

• Kuch says:

Patrick Cote wasn’t viewed as a real challenger, and we all saw how that fight unfolded.

Thales Leites was lost against Anderson Silva, and we all saw how that fight unfolded.

Why is everyone surprised the same thing happened with Maia? What did he offer?

Stop directing your anger at Anderson Silva and start asking Dana White why he would book his Middleweight Champion and supposed “pound for pound” best fighter in the world against more lackluster competition. And not just once or twice, but this is the third time. Really?

Does Dana White or Joe Silva even care about the Middleweight division? Or do they just like bragging their Middleweight Champion is the best in the world (unless he disappoints them)?

• Vogairian says:

I still think Anderson is the best fighter in the world, but I’m not likely to order any more of his fights unless it’s a huge name across the ring from him. He’s let me down too many times for me to be interested. The only person we can blame for this is Anderson himself. He could have gone out there and walked through Maia and been ready to fight Sonnen or Belfort in a few months, instead we got that ridiculous display and now I’d venture to say a lot of Anderson fans agree with Dana in caring less what he does next.

Fight metric says Bj Penn won the first 3 rounds with edgar wining only the 5th
    look it up

I don’t see how anyone can be upset with that fight’s outcome. If BJ hadn’t gassed/shut down or whatever happened, the last two rounds he wouldn’t have needed to worry about the one really close round.

• Vogairian says:

Why is everyone surprised the same thing happened with Maia?What did he offer?Stop directing your anger at Anderson Silva and start asking Dana White why he would book his Middleweight Champion and supposed “pound for pound” best fighter in the world against more lackluster competition.And not just once or twice, but this is the third time.Really?Does Dana White or Joe Silva even care about the Middleweight division?Or do they just like bragging their Middleweight Champion is the best in the world (unless he disappoints them)?

You blame Anderson because he’s the champion and it’s his job to fight who he’s told and fight well. GSP didn’t act like an idiot fighting Dan Hardy and Fedor didn’t dance around when he fought Brett Rodgers. Maia while not the true #1 contender had beaten the current #1 guy and had beaten quite a few solid guys before getting caught by Marqaurdt.

• thomaswhigham says:

Jess: but this lesser competition should be a walk in the park for him….

It was and is. I haven’t seen Silva challenged since what, round one with hendo?

The original poster needs to check the fight metric and look at the shots landed to thrown by silva in 4 and 5, and D. Ma’s. From what I saw Silva was still landing, but at that point he was also not able to land as well without avoiding being hit.

• 3OAM says:

Strange title for this article considering Edgar was only mentioned in the tail end.

For a second, I was psyched to read an article about the bigger news of the night (Edgar’s epic upheaval), but it was just another, “That-Rascally-Anderson-Silva” do.

Bummer.

• Rich S. says:

I’m actually kind of glad Anderson was such an asshole that night..
    Now, I have a whole new world of respect for Maia after that bit where he was just swinging from his knees.. I mean, he tried, for 20 minutes, to make it his kind of fight, and go to the ground, but he just couldn’t.. So, instead of riding it out to the judges, he said “fuck it” and just started swinging bombs at the world’s most feared striker.. I can’t picture any of these other guys doing that..

And, just a bit of advice to UFC matchmaking, never, and I mean NEVER, give Anderson Silva another Jiu Jitsu opponent. I know he can’t truly be that insecure with his Jiu Jitsu defense, but he fights like he is. It’s one thing when you stay away from the ground game and batter your opponent on the feet, but when you are staying far away from the ground, and then just WAITING on the feet, we’ve got a serious problem..

• Jess says:

Thomaswhigham, you are right it was like a walk in the park for Silva when facing Maia, but Silva took this literally, like he was taking an f***ing walk in the park, instead of really beating a lesser opponent in an awesome fashion. He went the weak route and walked (danced) through rounds, and landed when he decided to land. Instead of putting the beat down and showing everyone if they come in the ring with him, they will be facing the P4P king, and they will pay dearly.

• edub says:

The thing about it is he would have Vog. One judge scored it 50-45. That is fucking sad.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I think Dana’s gonna mess with his money. If he was getting % of the PPV buys then you take that away. I love Anderson Silva he’s my favorite fighter but that bullshit and the excuse after warrants discipline. You not just fighting for yourself there are paying fans who saw you not give 100%. There is nothing worse in sports. You put me in position where I can’t honestly defend you. You’re great act and behave like greatness

• Kuch says:

• 3OAM says:

This “argument” about Silva being disrespected by the inferior fighters they feed him and how this is Dana’s fault because he gave Silva a subpar opponent is bullshit.

Granted, I’m not a professional fighter or even an amateur really, but if my boss told me to do an easy job and I acted appalled and half-assed it, I would get fired.

If everyone’s so inferior to you, Anderson, then fuck off and make room for people who respect their fans by giving them a good show, regardless of their opponent.

I understand and have seen how far above and beyond you are. If you feel you have nothing left to prove in the division, then vacate your ‘paltry’ title and challenge yourself.

• edub says:

Kuch:

If he believe this he needs to say it. Just come out and say it. Don’t waste anybody’s time and money.

If he would have gone out and said “This fight is a joke. Maia is not on my level. I will tare through him without breaking a sweat. He will pay for the comments he made about me”… and he went out and did it, he still would have gotten scolded by Dana. But, it would’ve been ten times better than the outcome of what actually went down.

After that vacate the belt if you don’t have a challenge.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

Screw Anderson Silva!-That said, I thought the BJ Penn/Frankie Edgar fight was garbage too-Whatever happened to BJ’s world renowned brazilian jiujitsu game?-I want to see some amazing ground scrambles just as much as I want to see some lightning fast striking-Just imagine if BJ had gone to the ground with Diego-This latest fad of standing up the whole fight just makes MMA look like some poor man’s version of amateur boxing-Mix it up and let’s go back to the amazing fights that these guys are capable of

• moosebaby02 says:

Silva was TRYING to make a mockery of this bout. That was the point. That is why he wasn’t apologetic. Instead of knocking out Maia and allowing fans/UFC to chalk it up to a mismatch, he wanted everyone to see he wasn’t happy and wasn’t going to sing and dance just to put on a performance in front of the UFC’s new partners. The UFC is the biggest MMA promotion in the world with the deepest roster yet they couldn’t manage to find a suitable opponent to challenge him. That is his point. I’m not saying I agree with his actions, but his frustration at being thrown opponents who don’t stand a chance against him is evident in every bout.  (Quote)

• thomaswhigham says:

People forget at the end of the fight silva genuinely bowed before D Ma. Ma earned his respect in the final round imo because he actually fought him.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

No holds barred!-I just have to say that the latest group of so-called pound for pound greats are letting us down-GSP-Anderson Silva and BJ Penn-What the Fuck!!!!!-Are you not paid enough?-Are you not appreciated enough?-I will answer both of those questions easily-NO!-So get back on track and get back to your foundation-which is badass fighters-Show us just how awesome you all are and take the chances that led you to where you are today

• cocoonofhorror says:

ummm, the judges handing Edgar the belt WAS a mockery….

• MickeyC says:

i am so tired of hearing about how good andersons bjj is cause he beat luter. luter looked like shit. the dude gave up way before he started getting put to sleep!

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

so here’s a thought, and hear me out (not saying I feel this way, simply that it’s a thought)… maybe silva does this on purpose. it has been referenced a number of times that silva is ready to retire. from what I understand, the ufc has a “championship clause” that won’t allow him to. maybe these performances are his way of trying to force dana’s hand, and let him retire.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

i have to agree to some point. i understand his fustration but then you shit kick the guy in front of you in the 30 seconds that it takes look Dana and Joe in the face and say FUCK YOU. then walk out of the ring with nothing to say. There Point Madeinstead he went about it to FUCK over his fans who line his fucking pockets and who are still trying to defend him (not me anymore). What the fuck did we ever do to him beside help make him fucking money  (Quote)

inclined to agree. destroy your opponent as fast as possible, then look at the promoter with an expression that says “Really?” and walk out of the ring. when you are arguably the best p4p in the world, getting stuck int here with a “sub par” fighter is an insult. fighting is supposed to be a challenge, otherwise, what’s the point?

• sexy-yama says:

fightmetric says u just got your ass kicked blah blah

• JOEgun says:

REMATCH IS ALREADY IN THE WORKS REPORTS MMANEWS.COM. Apparently BJ was sick. Although it sounds like an excuse, whether it is or isn’t, I dont think I’m the only one who thinks BJ didnt look 100%. If they do rematch, I’m not so sure Frankie can pull it off again.