Frankie Edgar stuns B.J. Penn to become new UFC lightweight champion at UFC 112

Frankie Edgar had “The Answer” that a trio of title challengers before him didn’t, as the 28 year old New jersey boy pulled off what many deemed to be “Mission: Impossible” with an impressive unanimous decision victory over B.J. Penn to capture the UFC lightweight championship.

Edgar made UFC history with the hard-fought decision over Penn during UFC 112 from the Concert Arena on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Edgar executed his game plan to the tee in Abu Dhabi, utilizing short, crisp strikes standing combined with effective footwork to keep Penn from settling in on his attacks for the bulk of a very strategic opening four rounds between the two lightweights who rightfully displayed a tremendous amount of respect for one another.

Edgar managed to pull of what no other lightweight in the past six years has done against B.J. in the fifth round, as the former Clarion University of Pennsylvania wrestling standout scooped Penn up and back down for a succesful – yet brief – takedown.

In the end all three judges tipped their hats in the challenger’s direction, awarding Edgar with the unanimous decision, along with the UFC lightweight crown.

“This is it,” said Edgar following the historic victory. “B.J.’s the greatest lightweight ever and I just beat him.”

• Dufresne says:

Edgar looked good, I’ve never seen a fighter move as much as he did in that bout. And he did it at the same speed in the 5th round as he did in the 1st. I don’t know who Edgar’s first defense will be against, but I will be watching it.

Also can’t wait to see how BJ responds to this. It wasn’t his best performance in a while, but I don’t know how much of that is due to Edgar coming in with a solid gameplan and sticking to it the entire fight.

• sides666 says:

worst main events in a long time penn looked like he was not handling the heat well and gassed out early edgar looked good but not good enough to hold the title for very long. silva danced around and did not do shit in the end it was overall a horrible boring ass fight

• Rich S. says:

I’m very happy for Edgar.. He’s long been one of the best Lightweights in the UFC, but it seems like he doesn’t have the same popularity as, say, Florian, or Joe Daddy.. This ought to change that..

What’s nice is, we know he’s the real deal.. He now holds victories over THE 2 most dominant Lightweights the UFC has ever seen in Penn and Sherk.. And, I’d be willing to guarantee he could avenge his lone loss to Maynard if given a rematch..

This is great news for the LW division, assuming BJ goes Welter..

• Bad Monkey says:

Dana needs to give Anderson his ‘do you want to be a f**king fighter!’ speech.

I don’t what Silva is thinking lately, but how does he absolutely destroy Forrest in less than one round and then turn around and put on a horrible performance like he just did against Maia.

If Anderson honestly doesn’t want to fight to finish guys anymore he should do us all a favor and retire.

• xtreme_machine says:

WTF!!!!!!

• twyg says:

• MMABC15 says:

Edgar fought the perfect fight to beat a guy like BJ, period.

The real talk should be directed to Anderson Silva and his show that he put on. For the first round or two I thought it was a bit funny, with all the odd movements, and keeping his hands way low like he was doing, but when it continued and he failed to put Maia away I, like many fans, started to turn on Silva.

Im interested to see if St.Pierre and Silva can fight in the near future, and I believe that the pace that St.Pierre keeps is too high for Silva, especially moving down to 170

• Lethal Liquid says:

I think Anderson fears Bjj guys. He could’ve finished this fight at anytime. As his number 1 fan its irritating. I really think he puts on these shit performances to stop the UFC from putting him in against these fighters. Frankie looked good. Some judge scored it 50-45 and immediately I thought Bj got the decision. But the fact that this was on foreign soil helped this fight be scored objectively which is how it should be scored

• twyg says:

Lethal I felt completely the oppisite(?) when I heard the 50-45 score; it was at that point I knew BJ lost. As for it being judged objectively because it was on foreign soil; all those judges for that fight were regulars.

• blue says:

I am not going to try and put anything in here to fancy; my hat is off to Frankie Edgar! Great gameplan, great execution and a fantastic victory.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Wow, glad I’m too broke to buy it this month!!! Who woulda thunk it, go Edgar. That should shut up BJ’s moving to 170 talk for awhile. He’ll come back pissed and crush everyone now.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Oh, and I say Silva should fight GSP at middleweight or Jon Jones at LHW. There is no way those fights could be boring!

• crane_style says:

Penn looked one dimensional and didn’t change his game plan when he was getting out-pointed.

He didn’t listen to his corner when they said take the fight to the ground, wasn’t in good shape and looked gassed from the 4th round on. Think maybe he was focused a bit too much about the move to welterweight, and GSP instead of defending the belt.

And does anyone still think this guy is at the top of the P4P list? Could this be the beginning of the end for BJ?

I think this will be great for the 155 weight class. I can imagine some great match ups already.

Who do you give the next shot to? I’d say Florian. And who does Penn fight next? I’d stick him against Gomi, let them slug it out.

• bainsta says:

Whats with the morons posting comments about Anderson Silva on this page.??
    Go to the Anderson Siva page to comment on him fools.
    This is fricken BJ and Edgar.

• MickeyC says:

i say kenny, maybe gray down the road. both could be good!!

• xtreme_machine says:

maynard should get he next shot

Kenny vs Sotoropolis for the #1 contender

then BJ vs Gomi 2

or if BJ still wants to move to WW
    then Gomi vs Diaz
    then winner faces Griffin for the next shot

Well I guess the lw division will get interesting again but bj will be back and actually have a fire lit under his ass for a change maybe he will fight like he’s hungry again

• BJ didn’t take Franky serious at all. Next time will be different IMO. Anderson needs to step up to 205 for a while not heavyweight. If brock got a hold of Anderson it would be over quick. I still liked the fight though. I think its fun to see Anderson toy with opponents sometimes. This bought was a joke to me to begin with. Damian didn’t deserve to be in the ring with Anderson so I think Anderson said that to Dana.

• TerribleT says:

Hats off to Frankie for stickin’ to his game plan and hangin’ with BJ but myself I didn’t really think he took the title by any means. He never really stood still long to enough to engage with BJ and it just ended up being a cat chase mouse song and dance. I still saw BJ winning 3 rounds and winning the fight 48-47 as did many observers. I’m not looking forward to watching Frankie defend his belt by using the “waterbug dance” technique to stay out of harms way and hopefully out point his opponent. After he loses the LW belt I really hope he drops down to 145 so we can see him fight Uriah Faber in what would be 1 of the greatest MMA match ups ever. I know I’m gonna get neg’d into submission for rainin’ on Frankie’s parade but this is my honest opinion.

• Angry Mike says:

Edgar had great foot movement., which makes him a better dancer than BJ, not a better fighter. In order to be the champion, you have to beat the champion. Edgar managed to outpoint BJ, but didn’t beat him. And the guy who scored all five rounds for Edgar was delusional.

• edub says:

Im gonna post this in both this thread and the Anderson thread, it’s my thoughts on the whole event:

-I am sick of Anderson’s acts. He’s done something like this in 3 out of his past 5 fights. There can’t be any replacement fighters for anderson from now on. He either needs to fight Chael at MW, a top 5 or Jon Jones at LHW, a HW, or GSP. Once he’s dominated so much in the beginning of a fight he seems to shut down. It remind’s me of boxing.

-Frankie Edgar did a great job, hats off to him. He weathered the storm early, and took BJ in to the later rounds where he had a let down. It seems the pace Edgar kept the fight at tired BJ out.
    In saying all this I believe the fight was a draw. I gave BJ the first 2 rounds and Edgar the last two with the third being a draw. How a judge could call that fight 50-45 baffles the mind.

-Mark Munoz and Phil davis look like absolute wrecking machines. Munoz with some obvious tough moments in the first round pushed through very well. His GNP is sick. It;s time for Davis to take a step up to some better competition. That anaconda choke was perfectly set up.

• crane_style says:

Edgar had great foot movement., which makes him a better dancer than BJ, not a better fighter.In order to be the champion, you have to beat the champion.Edgar managed to outpoint BJ, but didn’t beat him.And the guy who scored all five rounds for Edgar was delusional.

I agree that Edgar didn’t take all five rounds. I had it 48-47 for Edgar.

And while Edgar didn’t dominate BJ and put a beating on him, out pointing someone is just as valid a victory as a knockout or submission. Face it, BJ lost and therefore was “beaten”.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Gomi’s ears perked up after this didn’t they. Penn V Gomi and Kenflo v Edgar are probably coming next right? Penn is going to haterape Gomi and strangle whomever is the title holder when he gets there. I’m glad we shouldn’t have to hear about that 170 talk for awhile now.

• twyg says:

Angry Mike you are right that Frankie didn’t win all five, I just knew that when that score came up BJ had lost because it is an even farther reach to give BJ all five. As for who gets the next shot probably kenny or grey. Would not be surprised to see Nate Diaz come back down to 155 now. If/when Aldo beats Faber he could be a legit threat as well. This should stop BJ from going up for a while. A Gomi fight would be the easiest thing to put together. Just wish I would have bet on the 8-1 underdog.

• ssundell says:

BJ definitely wasn’t at his best, but it’s hard for me to see the same match judges saw, either. While Edgar was effectively dancing around BJ, when he punched, there was always a swerve and a counter coming at him. Neither fighter was really able to do any kind of damage.

I don’t know what BJ was doing – just waiting and being a target isn’t really the best way to defend a title, even if you have fast hand and effective counterpunches. On the other hand, Edgar had nice moves but that’s pretty much all he had at the end. The problem is, neither fighter did nothing to show any kind of authority, and that doesn’t really match my idea of a championship fight. In the end, it looked more like a draw; just goes to show that particularly championship fights really shouldn’t go to a decision.

What was it with this card, anyway? All the three big fights had guys who are known for their mad ground skills, and all of those ended up being drawn out stand-up matches. All in all, this was one of the worst nights I’ve seen in UFC for a long while.

• sal kilmister says:

This fight was, at best, a draw. How anyone could say that Frankie won all five rounds puts the entire decision into question. There is no way that should have been judged the way it was.

• fuseven says:

Better Dancer than BJ not fighter?

BJ had bruises on his face, BJ was hanging onto the fence between rounds cause he couldn’t keep up with Edgar. Edgar didn’t even look like he went 1 round let alone 5 with the champ at the end.

I’d say Maynard gets the next shot, only man to ever defeat The Answer I believe

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

WoW. I was surprised to see Penn lose but, he didn’t get robbed either. I had it Penn 48-47 then I watched it again and could see it the other way too. All around good fight. Edgar deserved this. I just wonder how long it lasts.

This is such a stacked division Edgar is gonna have a hard time holding on to this belt but, I don’t think it’s going to be easy to take it from him either.

I hope if BJ stays at 155 they make him beat AT LEAST 2 top contenders before giving him another shot. Fresh match ups in this division will be good.

• Makington says:

If anything, I’m glad this will slow down weight cutting talks. It seems like everytime a fighter isn’t doing amazing the solution is to cut even more weight and fight at a lighter class. Hopefully less people will stop busting Edgar’s balls about being the little guy after he beat imo the best LW ever.

Major props to Edgar; he’s probably having the best day of his life right now.

• Jess says:

Originally posted by Rich S.:

This is great news for the LW division, assuming BJ goes Welter.. Rich S.(Quote)

Rich I could not agree with you more. Your words are truth.

Also, whoever came up with the P 4 P rankings on this site needs to move BJ below GSP. When I first saw those rankings posted a while back I knew whoever came up with that list was biased, and was basing there P4P rankings on how mych they loved BJ, also, move Lyoto, below GSP as well, Fiveounces P4P rankings need some fixing. I mean c’mon Frank Mir is on the list that is BS.

• Jess says:

Whoever came up with the P 4 P rankings on this site needs to move BJ below GSP. When I first saw those rankings posted a while back I knew whoever came up with that list was biased, and was basing there P4P rankings on how mych they loved BJ, also, move Lyoto, below GSP as well, Fiveounces P4P rankings need some fixing. I mean c’mon Frank Mir is on the list that is BS.

The Pound 4 Pound list should look something like

Fedor
    GSP
    A. Silva
    Rua
    Lyoto Machida
    Jon Fitch
    Jon Jones
    Lil Nog
    Dan Henderson
    Gegard Mousasi

• edub says:

The Pound 4 Pound list should look something likeFedorGSPA. SilvaRuaLyoto MachidaJon FitchJon JonesLil NogDan HendersonGegard Mousasi  (Quote)

That is a terrible list.

• kuboa says:

All in all, this was one of the worst nights I’ve seen in UFC for a long while.

Yeah, I liked Hughes/Gracie but got *quite* bored in what was, on paper, a fantastic night.

• hindsightufuk says:

Also, whoever came up with the P 4 P rankings on this site needs to move BJ below GSP.When I first saw those rankings posted a while back I knew whoever came up with that list was biased, and was basing there P4P rankings on how mych they loved BJ, also, move Lyoto, below GSP as well, Fiveounces P4P rankings need some fixing. I mean c’mon Frank Mir is on the list that is BS.

the thing is about BJ, he has fought in multiple weight classes, against top quality competition, and on occasion won. He is so high on most p4p lists because he has genuinely tried to fight p4p.
    GSP has never fought outside 170, BJ has proved he can cut it. i think thats why he is often placed higher. not saying i agree, just saying

still speechless after last night

• Dufresne says:

Fightmetric just released the stats forthright fight, and they actually have Penn as having the most offence. The first three statistically went to Penn with the 4th round going to Edgar and the 5th being dramatically in Edgar’s favor.

Not saying he won, because even in my mind BJ was out pointed and lost that fight. Just saying there’s no way it was 50-45 as that one judge scored it.

• inkythewinky says:

hey u gotta admit i called that :)

• cocoonofhorror says:

Penn won, Edgar is a paper champ like Machida.

• edub says:

hey u gotta admit i called that   (Quote)

Very true sir. Nice call.

• bigbadjohn says:

Cheers Inky, you did call it. But I had it 3 rounds to 2 for BJ. classic Rematch makings

• moosebaby02 says:

Had a little feeling when they said BJ was doing his training at home for this fight. If I recall correctly he trained in cali away from home and all the distractions for his last two fights. He trained at home for the GSP fight and this fight; and that seemed to work out well for him. How long before Kenflo starts begging for a title shot now that BJ is no longer champ.  (Quote)

thats what i was thinking when i heard that

• moosebaby02 says:

Frankie had a great game plan and stuck to it. Never saw him winning this fight then the half way throught the 3rd i was on the edge of my seat drooling.
    Whats wrong with giving the man his props?? he won the fight deal with it. Fuck i lost $150 on Penn and i know he lost
    Congrats goes to Frankie. Hope you keep that strap as long as you can

• manny says:

Three words: BJ was robbed.

Sure frankie looked fresh after 5 rnds but look look at the compu-strikes and it will clearly show bj wining/ landing the power punches. Besides round 4, bj clearly won rounds 1-3. This reminded me of the shogun/machida fight, quoting Joe Rogan ” TO BE THE CHAMP, YOU GOT TO BEAT THE CHAMP”. and Edgar did all but beat BJ.

I can now say the Ken Flow will be the next LW champ when he defeats Edgar.

• baldguy80 says:

My thoughts EXACTLY Angry Mike! No disrespect to Edgar, but he didn’t dominate BJ and win the belt. He squeaked out a marginal victory by peppering BJ and doing no damage whatsoever. I feel sorry for the next guy who faces Penn, ’cause BJ isn’t gonna be a happy camper…