Nick Diaz faces off with Hayato Sakurai at DREAM 15

Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz will go at it with Hayato Sakurai during DREAM 15 in a non-title affair.

The news of the expected showdown between the two comes courtesy of Graciefighter.com.

DREAM 15 is expected to take place on May 30 from the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Since suffering a TKO defeat at the hands of power puncher KJ Noons, Diaz has gone on to win six straight bouts with notable wins over the likes of Frank Shamrock, Scott Smith, and most recently, Marius Zaromskis,who Nick defeated to capture the previously vacant Strikeforce welterweight crown.

“Mach” Sakurai will be coming into the bout under distinctively different circumstances with a two fight loss streak to the likes of the previously noted Marius Zaromskis and Akihiro Gono following an impressive knockout of Shinya Aoki in April of 2009.

• bigbadjohn says:

Diaz Bros. are relentless. WAR!

• MCM says:

I like Sakurai, but I think that Diaz will take this one pretty easily. If he doesn’t win it with his striking (unlikely), I see him taking this to the ground and submitting Mach. I’d actually be nice to see Diaz working his BJJ again. Nick is just too big for Sakurai, IMO.

• Dufresne says:

I love the Diaz brothers. Nick and Nate both just love to fight and you can see it every time they go out there.

I’m also gonna go with Nick here as I think his crazy striking style, long length, and overall much superior size will carry him through.

Here comes more punches-in-bunches!!!

• toynut says:

Bad Business!

if Diaz loses, he still keeps his belt but becomes a paper champion…
    (apparently the Strikeforce belt is not on the line)
    Strikeforce and Dream should have made a deal….

• MCM says:

I agree with toynut about Strikeforce and Dream making a deal and having the belt on the line, but then it’s just like the SF HW belt where the challenger is coming off a loss.

• MickeyC says:

Japan? I guess this means no drug test for MR Diaz. Smokem if you gottem!!!!

• Connor Cobain says:

• Guthookd says:

Shit Connor….Diaz by TKO round 2.

• MickeyC says:

Diaz, will out class him. I do not see it making it further than mid second round, if that!!!

• moosebaby02 says:

I honestly hate Nick and Nate Diaz. There stand-up game is cocky and retarted. I hope Sakurai knocks the crap out of Nick Diaz and sends him even farther away from the UFC (If thats possible).  (Quote)

retarted??? i guess you hate Jardine as well then??? dont confuse their cockyness with talent

• moosebaby02 says:

oh yeah Nick buy rolls one up while walking down to the ring and then lights it up when his hand is raised. 1st KO by death

• Makington says:

I actually hate Diaz too. I find his personality to be probably the most disrespectful in the sport.

That said, he is still in my top 3 favourite fighters to watch of all time. I mean, say what you want about the guy, but god damn is he a fighter. Technically brilliant with a granite chin and tremendous heart; how could you not enjoy him fighting?

Even still with his personality, though I personally dislike it, it’s still fun to watch too. Even if you’re watching just see him lose, it’s still fun to have that guy you hate. I believe in martial arts being about respect and pride but it would be pretty boring if everyone was like that, and Diaz keeps it fresh. It’s also not like you can expect everyone to be a nice guy in a sport where you try to murder your opponent.

Diaz takes this fight imo easily. Much too ahead of Sakurai on all levels. Will still be a great fight though!

• bigbadjohn says:

Diaz bros are tough as nails. great standup and great ground game. the only thing ‘retarted’ here is the way it was spelled. retard not retart. at least im pretty sure, i WAS just smoking one with Nick n Nate

• edub says:

This one would’ve been good two years ago when they were talking about it. Now it’s just an easy win for Diaz. Stupid matchup IMO.

Mach is gonna be a bloody mess when this fight is over. I’d much rather see Nick take on Jay Hieron in the near future, rather then wait longer because of this scrap.

• hindsightufuk says:

nice to see Nick getting so much love these days, its wasnt so long ago everyone was hating on the brothers, i even recall someone here referring to them as dirty mexicans, the dumb fuck

love both these guys, Mach is my all time favourite japanese fighter along with Saku, but i dont see him boding to well against Nick. It’ll be an honor to watch tho.

Def dislike the Diaz bros. But respect there abilities…

I see Nick getting the W hopefully he won’t rant about him and His brother after the fight… Get the Win, smile for a change and stfu.

• Dominance says:

To the Diaz haters:

If you’ve ever actually seen how the Diaz brothers are backstage, they show the utmost respect for their opponents (except the people they actually have bad blood with, which is no different than any other fighter). They are actually really classy and they put on an act to get under their opponents skin, and clearly it works (for Nick mainly). It’s awesome for the sport because he backs it up. I mean come on, never been KO’d and never been tapped..hmmm Im gonna say that’s something you can be cocky about. Doesn’t mean you HAVE TO be cocky about it, but that’s their choice and it’s great for the game. It mixes things up a little. Either way, Nick is bad ass and backs it up everyday of the week and has a different style that is TOUGH to train for…love watching his fights and hopefully he’ll get up to some bigger and bigger names no matter what organization. Diaz by whatever he chooses!

• bigbadjohn says:

I love the talk. as long as they can back it up, keep running those mouths and smiling boys

• cdrg says:

how can you call his stand up retarded? I actually think your your retarded for that coment. hes one of the best stand-up fighters and well rounded. but haters are gona hate. Diaz Bros. all the way

• Rich S. says:

I think this is going to be another legendary Diaz victory..

• MickeyC says:

Their whole camp has moved up in status as far as I am concerned. They have what? 3 Strikeforce titles? Go Cesar!!