Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves set for UFC 115

While countless fans along with UFC President Dana White had been licking their chops at the prospect of a potential battle between Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck, it looks like a showdown between the fellow AKA teammates will have to wait – for now- as a bout between Fitch and Thiago Alves is now slated for UFC 115 in Canada.

White recently confirmed the bout via his Twitter account:

ALVES vs FITCH in vancouver!!!!!!

The pair had previously been expected to go at it in a highly anticipated rematch targeted for UFC 111 before an irregularity in the brain of Alves discovered in the days leading up to the event caused the bout to be scrapped, with Thiago being replaced by Ben Saunders. Fitch won the UFC 111 bout via unanimious decision utilizing a superior wrestling arsenal.

Fitch finished Alves via TKO in the pair’s first meeting held nearly four years ago in June of 2006.

Fitch will be coming into the fight on a four-fight win streak in the UFC, while Alves will be looking to rebound from a UFC 100 title defeat at the hands of Georges St. Pierre.

UFC 115 will take place on June 12 from Vancouver.

• Makington says:

I have an extremely hard time getting excited for any Fitch fight, but I’m still stoked for this one. I was pretty bummed when Thiago had to pull out just a few days before the fight but it was for a potentially life-saving operation so I’m glad he got it all done.

I suppose you could give Fitch another title shot if he wins, but if Thiago pulls it out I’d rather see him fight another time against a legit opponent before getting back in with GSP too fast.

Please Fitch don’t hold Thiago down for 3 rounds! And if you do then please don’t tell us in the prefight interviews how much you’ve improved your striking and are looking to finish the fight by some sort of KO like you always tell us.

• Jstew3785 says:

My question is does Alves have enough takedown defense to stop Fitch from laying on him for 15 minutes? Alves is a completely different fighter from the first time they fought but I wouldn’t say that about Fitch. Every Fitch fight is the same: Takedown, do nothing, rinse and repeat.

• inkythewinky says:

• Dufresne says:

I’m hoping that Alves has evolved enough to use movement and superior strength to avoid or stuff the takedown. I want to see if he can’t avenge his loss and actually make a Fitch fight exciting.

• JOEgun says:

GO ALVES!!

• Jstew3785 says:

lol do u expect fitch to do “wacky dumb style” to impress the fans? he wants to win and he’s got a great formula…….a great boring formula,… but it works!  (Quote)

Just like GSP…

• Guthookd says:

I hope Alves is training with some wrestlers that are bigger than him. He needs to win this fight.

• Dufresne says:

Just like GSP…

Not quite. GSP fights higher caliber opponents as the champ, and he is constantly working for better position, to secure a submission (even if he seemed hesitant to break Hardy’s arm) and he at least looks to finish fights. Fitch on the other hand seems content to lay on opponents like a wet blanket and do just enough work to avoid being stood up.

• Rich S. says:

I’m having a hard time seeing how Thiago loses..

• Vogairian says:

• Rich S. says:

Not to mention the fact that Daley/Alves would be freaking amazing..

• moosebaby02 says:

I’m having a hard time seeing how Thiago loses.. Fitch has always been a dominant fighter, as boring as he may be lately, but the Alves that he beat has almost nothing in common with the Alves he’ll be facing soon.. Alves hits a lot harder now, he’s more technical, yet more brutal, his takedown defense is way better, and obviously his ground game is good enough to survive GSP for 5 rounds.. Maybe my memory’s failing me, but didn’t he get back to his feet once or twice against GSP? Just one or two standups against GSP shows the skill to stand up from every one of Fitch’s takedowns..  (Quote)

and thats why Alves is going to win.
    pretty much everything i had to say

• Jstew3785 says:

I never said GSP didn’t try for submissions and improve position. The statement was that Fitch wasn’t going to try a “wacky dumb style” and that he had a great winning formula. Just like GSP does. GSP is more active than Fitch but still doesn’t take any chances, just like Fitch.

• moosebaby02 says:

I always kind of liked Fitch, but I’m hoping Alves rocks him and Daley rocks Koscheck and we can get over this stupid, “I don’t want to fight my buddy” crap.  (Quote)

i like the guy too. he seems like a cool layed back kinda of guy who dosent get into the shit talking with a true workman mojo going. but he is just too boring in the cage

• Niv says:

I like both fighters here and this can be a great fight. I agree with those that say Alves today is a different fighter than the one that faced Fitch 1st time around.

I can actually see Alves beating Fitch as he has the horse power and improved take down defense.

Either way this fight sets up GSP’s next victim.

• fanoftna33 says:

Alves’s takedown defense is very solid now, when he fought Kos- who is just as good a wrestler as Fitch- he was able to stuff almost every takedown attempt, and get up quickly on the 1 or 2 that were successful. I expect Fitch to get a takedown in the first round and maybe the second but he really is going to have to pull something out of the bag of tricks to get by Alves here. I would not want to bet on this fight though.

• Guthookd says:

I can’t help but wonder if Thiago’s recent brain issue will have any affect on the fight though. That has got to get into a guys head…no pun intended. I hope he’s 100% healthy and mentally prepared.

go pitbull!

• yhknq says:

fitch will take the fight to the ground
    impose his will upon alves
    winning a dominate performance

• cdrg says:

well

Just like GSP…

well if GSP didnt take any chances he would just lay on top and throw one or two punches then hold the guy down and repeat over and over. But as I remember his fights hes always trying to improve possition, do submitions, take your back and everything in between. So is that not taking chances?

• JabCrossHook says:

I agree completely, Fitch is a great guy with a very solid wrestling base and a decent GnP but not decent enough to finish. I was actually noticing improvements in his stand-up he just hasn’t used it to finish. I really don’t know why but most likely because his last three opponents he needed wrestling to win. Gono is a grappler so that’s an obviously grappling match for 3 rounds. Mike Pierce had proven knockout punches so Fitch preferred to do the same thing and Ben Saunders stand up is very solid and hes very tall for a WW so the added reach advantage doesn’t go toward Fitch in a stand up war. But while Alves is a proven striker, hes pretty short for a WW and Fitch would have a reach advantage, meaning he could strike a bit, be explosive and take Alves down, do a lil GnP until Alves can get up and rinse and repeat. If Fitch doesn’t get caught by Alves, he can do that for three rounds and win the decision. But I really don’t see him finishing Alves, but Alves can finish him.

• manny says:

After fighting GSP, I believe he did work on his take down defense. By him wanting to re-schedule the fight for this sat ufc 112(didn’t happen) only led me to believe he did and is ready for Fitch’s boring style.
    Go Alves and KO Fitch!

• Jstew3785 says:

GSP taking chances would have been him standing and banging with Alves or Hardy. But, he fought the smart fight knowing he was superior on the ground and chose to fight there. There’s nothing wrong with that. Again, the statement was that he wasn’t going to do a “wacky dumb style” and neither one of them do. GSP and Fitch know there wrestling is superior to pretty much everyone in the WW division and choose to fight with that style rather than take chances.