UFC eyes Cowboys Stadium for inaugural large-venue event

UFC president Dana White looks to have dropped his long-standing opposition to stadium events with plans to promote his first ever large-venue card at the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, sometime in 2010.

White, who often stated his reluctance to vary from the UFC’s intimate arena format, appears to have done an about-turn on the subject after witnessing the Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey boxing extravaganza he attended there in March.

“We’re definitely, 100 percent going to Cowboys Stadium, no doubt about it. With our sport, people will fly in from all over the world,” White said recently.

The official home of the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys was completed on May 27, 2009 and certainly lives up to the celebrated “everything is bigger in Texas” catchphrase. It’s the largest domed stadium in the world with a record crowd of 108,713, has the world’s largest column-free interior and sports the world’s largest high definition video screen which hangs from 20 yard line to 20 yard line. The UFC chief was suitably impressed.

“I have and I would love to do a fight there. Yep, and I’m Mr. Anti-Stadium. Now that I experienced that (expletive) place, let me tell you what, it’s incredible. It’s incredible. The nicest stadium I have seen in my entire life,” White told Carlos Arias.

The world’s premier MMA organisation has previously held two events in the Lone Star State, most recently UFC 103: Franklin vs. Belfort on September 19, 2009 inside American Airlines Center in Dallas.

• inkythewinky says:

better bring some binoculars lol

• Dufresne says:

better bring some binoculars lol

That was my one concern when I read this. Football stadiums are built to watch a sport that takes up 120 yards lengthwise and over 53 yards wide. The Octagon is about 10 yards in diameter. That’s a huge difference.

The only thing I can think that will save this is the absolutely ridiculous HD Jumbotron they have. But If I’m gonna pay to see an event live, I want to be able to actually watch the event live, not on a screen above it.

• bigbadjohn says:

it seats a 100,000. Im sure there are some cheaper seats. if i had a chance to be there i wouldnt scoff at it, not after paying 50 bucks normally for PPVs. Imagine the atmosphere. dana would make it a triple headliner like 100 I bet. imagine the security force for an MMA event in the Cowboys Stadium

• king mah mah says:

Yeah huge stadium for MMA, but i would still love to be there live.

Happy Easter everybody. Brought home two whole hogs today! It’s a shit load of meat to cook! Looks like I’ll have enough meat to BBQ for the summer. Peace out!

• Lethal Liquid says:

This event will take place in 2011. Card will be crazy stacked.

• MickeyC says:

maybe we will get george & anderson for it!!!!!!!

Big stadium
    Big fight card
    Big profits
    Guess everything is really bigger in Texas

• mikefab says:

The jumbo screens in that place are unreal. The people who watch football games there watch the jumbo screen. Those things are HD too. Buy the cheap seats and watch on those huge TVs.

• LiverPunch says:

If you really want to watch the sport you watch it at home where you get a better view of the fight and replays. I have been to big events before and it seems to me you go for atmosphere more than anything. If people want to see whats going on they watch the big screens provided.
    There is no question in my mind that if you want the best view possible you stat at home and watch PPV. But I imagine the atmosphere will be amazing and you can always say “I was there”, for whatever that is worth.

• manny says:

Hell Yeah… No binoculars needed once you are in this stadium. i will def buy tickets to this event as the stadium is HUGE and been there b4. I just hope the card is great not like ufc 103, was the last time ufc was in dallas. Chances are it will as the champs are fighting now and hoefully 6 months from now they’ll defend their belts in this stadium.

• My station overlooks Cowboys Stadium and it is a beast.

Pacquiao/Clottey only sat around 50,000 people, though, so I wouldn’t imagine the UFC would set up for too much more than that. 100,000 seats is almost guaranteed NOT to happen.

I was on vacation in Orlando last September so I missed 103 but there is no way I will miss UFC in the Cowboys Stadium.

• Dufresne says:

The only reason I could see them trying to pack the stadium is because they’ve shown before that they’re willing to give away MASSIVE amounts of tickets to ensure a “sell out.” Plus, I’m sure they get a percentage of the concession sales and 100,000 thirsty, hungry fans could contribute a healthy chunk of change.

• Genesis says:

I would make the 4 hr drive from S.A. just to see it. I think my cousin might still work there.