Alistair Overeem scores first round stoppage during K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 in Yokohama

Alistair Overeem recently returned to the kickboxing arena during K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 in Yokohoma, Japan and further established himself as one of the undisputed most dangerous strikers in the business.

It took Overeem all of two minutes and thirty seconds to send home the fight endning right knee to the chin of Dzevad Poturak for the TKO victory.

The recent K-1 victory for Overeem brings The Demolition Man’s overall professional kickboxing record up to 6-4.

Overeem is currenlty slated to return to MMA and Strikeforce on May 15 from St. Louis, Missouri during “Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery” to defend the championship he captured back in November of 2007 against Brett “Grim” Rogers, which will be the first defense of the Strikeforce heavyweight championship.

A list of results from the K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 in Yokohoma, Japan is below:

Kyotaro def. Peter Aerts via knockout – Round 2

Badr Hari def. Alexey Ignashov via decision

Semmy Schilt def. Errol Zimmerman via decision

Kyotaro def. Peter Aerts via knockout – Round 2

Alistair Overeem def. Dzevad Poturak via knockout – Round 1

Jerome Le Banner def. Tyrone Spong via decision

Gokhan Saki beat def. Jaideep via decision

Sergei Lascenko def. Takumi Sato by unanimous decision

Tsutomu Takahagi def. Makoto Uehara via decision

Prince Ali def. Mitsugu Noda via decision

• cocoonofhorror says:

im getting trojans every time i visit 5oz. now, wtf?

• Dufresne says:

I’m not getting any virus problems. Just did a full system scan with 3 different pieces of software to make sure.

Good job Overroid, now get back to defending your belt in a place that actually has drug testing. I’m don’t usually disdain a fighter the way I do Alistair, but this guy just gets under my skin. I’m really hoping Rogers lands one of his giant brick-shaped fists on Alistairs oversized nose. Then we may actually get to see a belt defended more than once every 2.5 years.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

If you want to be a kickboxer, relenquish your title and go be a kickboxer. I hope Rogers ends his MMA career, as if it hasn’t been “over” since he won the belt from Buentello(ha ha ha) and took it home with him for the next two years. By the time Fedor and Overeem fight, they will be using canes and walkers to bash eachother over their heads. Strikeforce ensuring the UFC stays on top yet again, I think Coker secretly works for Zuffa.

This guy can’t be taking Rogers too serious if he’s kick boxing this month then fighting mma next month… Either that or he really doesn’t care and is just coming to collect a check

• xtreme_machine says:

I don’t care what people say but overeem is a great striker

he will KO Brett Rogers and may even beat Fedor

so before u start judging.
    you don’t know if he is really taken steroids or not so until the truth comes out just STFU

• inkythewinky says:

http://www.yorkblog.com/mma/Overeem-Timeline.jpg steroids or no u be the judge

• MCM says:

im getting trojans every time i visit 5oz. now, wtf?

Man, I totally read this wrong. Lol.

I don’t understand how the hell this guy still gets fight offers in MMA. Why Coker never stripped this clown is completely beyond me.

• bigbadjohn says:

Alistair has an impressive physique, steroids or not, but his skill level isnt near the UFCs elites. hes beat mark hunt, fujita, gary goodridge, buentello recently and vitor back in the day but shogun and big nog have worked him over. dont get too excited because he has little to no chance against fedor or most ufc heavys

• Niv says:

I have to disagree with anyone who says that Overeem’s skill level isn’t up to par with any UFC elite HW’s. I think Overeem has the physical strength and skill to hang with any HW in the UFC.

The steroid issue has never been proven and until it does I think it’s unfair to wipe away his achievements because of a belief he may be guilty of something.

Overeem fought years ago at 205lbs, but he was very young and 6’5″ tall, it’s not inconceivable that a guy with his frame can pack on muscle over a few years.

I too don’t like the fact he hasn’t defended his title in over 2 years, but that’s SF’ issue not his. They should have forced him to fight or taken it away, I don’t know the reasons behind it but at this point it’s nothing but speculation.

• moosebaby02 says:

at the end of the day rogers winning or losing it still looks bad for SF.
    Hey i will get knocked the F out for a title shot…..sign me up.
    As for mr. innocent until proven gulity inkythewinky my brother has pics like that when he started to work out. 5 days a week 4 hours a day cause he has nothing to do but train other people for the rest of the day. makes me sick. my borther is a gym rat who wants nothing but to look “sexy” for the ladies as he puts it. he did it. but it took him a hell longer then mr. innocent

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I never once have read someone here question Brock Lesnar, yet he was actually caught years ago with a pile of HGH. HGH is almost impossible to detect in your system yet it gives great benefits so let’s wait and see how this turns out.  (Quote)

I have never heard this before. Proof? If it’s true then it is but, I need to see your proof

• bigbadjohn says:

All these guys. Overeem Lesnar or any athlete in the ufc could be questioned. Roiding up, using HGH, or any other performance enchancers can all be used effectively with different results than big guys like brock and overeem. helps some heal quicker, shreds body fat etc. In my opinion it probably runs rampant in many sports today, so show me the proof or just take it for what its worth

• swiftyfrisko says:

@mad_hatter – seems there are plenty of references online to Brock being arrested for being suspected of receiving steroids in the mail, only to be let off when it turned out to be HGH, which was a legal supplement at the time.

e.g

re. Overeem – I’m looking forward to seeing how he matches up against Rogers, Fedor and other Strikeforce h/w’s. Its about time.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Swifty-Thnx for the link. Guess I missed it somehow.

As for Overeem and Lesnar as long as they test clean I can’t pass judgement. Brock hasn’t failed any UFC tests and so far Overeem hasn’t either.

• MMApride19 says:

Swifty-Thnx for the link. Guess I missed it somehow.

Because he is usually fighting in Japan where drug testing is near non existing. I have to admit, i do honestly think he has been taking something… And what makes me even more suspicius is the fact that he seems to have been avoiding fighting in USA for nearly 3 years now…

But ahwell, not really on the top of my list in terms of fighters i care to follow.

• Niv says:

swiftyfrisko thanks for giving the answer to Mad Hatter sorry I never had a chance to respond to that myself.

Anyhow it’s Easter today the biggest day of the year in my culture so all I can say to all of you here Happy Easter hope you all have a great day.

Off to start bbq and cook whole piglet and whole lamb, got lots of family and friends coming over.

Take care all.

• LiverPunch says:

Overeem may have taken juice but so may have any MMA fighter. Fighters that fight in America get caught, right?. They are all aware of the testing ,right?. Do you think that they used them knowing they would get caught?. No they and others go into this thinking or knowing they can beat testing because testing is reactionary to methods of cheating and will always be. Am I right in saying Jones never tested positive in Olympic testing? and I think that that their testing is far more strict than UFC testing, and Jones juiced for years.

• mu_shin says:

Not to go crazy on the steroid thing, but if you want to know what happened with Marian Jones and Olympic level testing, Google “Balco scandal” and read up. She and several other well known athletes were able to cheat when Balco labs were able to come up with “designer steroids”, whose metabolites were not part of the accepted testing protocols at the time, so they went undetected. An anonymous person, who I think turned out to be a track coach, sent a syringe tainted with the unknown steroid to a doctor connected with sports medicine and testing, blowing the lid off the cheating scandal and exposing Marian Jones and some other athletes as well.

I’ve said it before here and elsewhere: I’ve been lifting for more than twenty years, and have known steroid users, worked out beside them in the gym, and watched the changes take place over time. Very few natural athletes are capable of the gains Overeem has shown without some help. Doesn’t mean he’s dirty, but I’ve seen the photos and watched his fights on line over time, and I think most trainers and people who have been around strength sports would agree that he has the look of an enhanced physique. As there is no testing in Japan and much of the competition in Europe, both kickboxing and MMA, is not strictly monitored for steroid use, he’s doing what he thinks he needs to do to win, and if it’s worth it to him, then so be it.

We have random testing here in the States, but that does not mean anyone has to pass a drug test to get licensed to fight. Some guys are tested prior to matches, some after, while some fighters are not chosen to be tested at all. If a fighter medically qualifies, he can fight, but we’ve seen what can happen with fighters like Nick Diaz, Sean Sherk, Josh Barnett, and even fan favorite Stephan Bonnar run afoul of the pre-or-post fight drug testing, among many others…

• mabus says:

Legalize steroids. Not just in Ultimate Fighting, but in all Pro-Sports.

• Dufresne says:

Legalize steroids. Not just in Ultimate Fighting, but in all Pro-Sports.

• mabus says:

I hope to God you’re joking, because if not that is quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve read in a very long time. Steroids aren’t illegal because they give people an advantage in size, healing speed, and muscle building potential, they’re illegal because they cause a myriad of health issues such as increased blood pressure, changes in the heart structure, cardiovascular failure, increased susceptibility to muscle/joint injuries, and that’s not even touching on the psychiatric problems it causes.Steroids are illegal not because they help athletes, but because they can kill them. Making them legal would be the dumbest thing any sports organization or government could do for athletics.

Re; Dufresne — only half joking. Have you seen the doc _Bigger, Stronger, Faster_? Anyway, the steroid issue isn’t quiet as simple as you’ve made it sound. After surgery, or for recovery, you can get a wide array of recovery products from your doctor, which may or may not be steroids… such as cortizone (which is a steroid).

I understand the abuse potential, but athletes use what they can to get an edge. Some do legal things that are really not healthy. Some care about health. And all in all, steroids are not good or bad — like all things, they should be used properly. Like vitamine C or green tea. Ok, not the same animal; and again, I am half-joking.

• Dufresne says:

I’m in the medical field myself and I fully understand the need for steroids to get over certain injuries, but even given then they are done so on a very short term basis. When you have athletes cycling for months at a time so that they peak out right around playoff time the long term effects can be catastrophic. There’s a reason that steroids need prescriptions to be legally required and a reason why when a physician is caught giving out prescriptions needlessly that they can have their license pulled. They’re very powerful chemicals and they can cause very serious problems, even if they’re “used responsibly.”