Kenny Florian earns first “Submission of the Night” of career

Kenny Florian once famously told fans he finished fights in hopes of rallying support for an eventual title shot. On Wednesday night he let his technique do the talking instead and made a clear statement even opponent Takanori Gomi could understand. Along with procuring his third consecutive win via rear-naked choke in the process, Florian also earned ”Submission of the Night” honors and a $30,000 bonus for his performance in the Octagon. The news was announced during the post-event press conference.

Also taking home an additional thirty thousand dollars for their in-ring efforts were a pair of TUF champions. Ultimate Fighter Season 10 winner Roy Nelson’s thirty-nine second TKO of Stefan Struve was named ”Knockout of the Night”, while British lightweight Ross Pearson played part in ”Fight of the Night” alongside opponent Dennis Siver and no doubt made Season 9 coach Michael Bisping proud in the process by doing so.

• fanoftna33 says:

Kenny is a great LW fighter but I think he is getting some very good matchmaking lately. Kenny really hasnt fought but 1 top wrestler in the division and that was Sherk. Sure he gets a lot of wins but mostly against guys that are not in the title picture at all, I would really like to see him rematch with Sherk, or take on a top contender like Griffen, or Maynard before the ufc even thinks of giving him a third title shot.

• Dufresne says:

I really want to see him get the rematch with Diego, but I think I heard that Sanchez is going back up to WW after the beating he took from Penn.

• MickeyC says:

Ya Roy. I think we will see him fight a higher level of guys now. I would like to see him with Mir, but I got the feeling they will put him with Kongo first. Who knows maybe he will get his wish and Dana will match him with Toney.

• Rich S. says:

Wow, that’s pretty amazing..

Considering his submissions over Stevenson and Guida it’s pretty surprising.. There must have been some awesome submissions on those cards..

• MCM says:

kinda hard not to get sub of the night when you have the only sub on the card.

• KTru says:

Yeah Diego is fighting John Hathaway at WW @UFC114

• KTru says:

Wow, that’s pretty amazing..

he was up against Maia in the Joe Daddy fight,
    then Mir when he fought Guida

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I thought Kenny looked extremely crisp and was surprised to see Takanori last as long as he did. All that said, I still would pick Gray Maynard over Kenny.

• blue says:

I am a big fan of Florian, I find him exciting and respectible. But there are not a lot of fights left for him in the UFC…right now. Diego if he comes back down to LW? Maynard? After that, is it BJ Penn again? Like I said, I like Florian but he really had nothing for BJ Penn.

• MCM says:

I am a big fan of Florian, I find him exciting and respectible.But there are not a lot of fights left for him in the UFC…right now.Diego if he comes back down to LW?Maynard? After that, is it BJ Penn again?Like I said, I like Florian but he really had nothing for BJ Penn.He could be on a path to be the Rich Franklin of the LW division, the clear cut #2.

Don’t forget Sherk, or Edgar depending on how he does against BJ,. Or some of the new guys coming up,like Pearson or even Diaz if he goes back to 155. Pellegrino is still one to watch as well. There’s plenty of fights left for Florian, I don’t see him going anywhere soon.

“..no doubt made Season 9 coach Michael Bisping proud in the process by doing so.”

I think Bisping wishes he had hands like Ross

• JOEgun says:

Kenflo vs Maynard! make it happen! But then Kenflo will win and then we gotta think of someone else to throw at him, cause we dont care to see him lose to BJ again. How about George Soteropoulis?? Hes comin up!

• jding3 says:

I think after BJ beats Edgar he will vacate the belt and move to 170. I think the UFC will do Maynard vs Florian for that vacant belt because it makes the most sense. Which is too bad because I would like to see Florian attempt to avenge his loss to Sherk first, but the UFC won’t take the risk of letting KenFlo lose to an aging Sherk who has been sitting on the sidelines for a while. Not a good business move, which is why we will never see Silva vs GSP unfortunately because they can’t take the chance of one of their biggest stars getting dismantled or exposed.

• inkythewinky says:

the way taka fought i dont see him winning against anybody…… send him to wec

• Angry Mike says:

Florianq continues to improve, but he still isn’t ready to face BJ again. Let’s face it: Everybody at 155 is fighting for first runner up behind Penn.

Nelson is an intriguing addition to heavyweight. IMO, he hasn’t yet faced a serious challenge. Can he compete against the top tier? Part of me says no, but another part of me says that it’s easy to underestimate him because of his physique and “what, me worry?” attitude. Very interesting wild card.