Florian strangles Gomi, Nelson smashes Struve at “UFC Fight Night 21: Florian vs. Gomi”

Kenny Florian continued on his trek back torward the UFC lightweight championship with a convincing third round rear naked choke submission victory over former PRIDE lightweight champ Takanori Gomi during the main event of “UFC Fight Night 21: Florian vs. Gomi“.

The card took place this evening from the Bojangles Coleseum in Charlotte, North Carolina while airing live on Spike TV.

While Gomi had brief flares of activity with heavy punches to Florian’s ribs and chin, it was Ken-Flo that dictated the pace of the bout with a crisp jab and well timd counter-punching. After being jarred with a nasty 1-2 from Gomi in the third, Florian chose to level the playing field by depositing Gomi directly onto the canvas with a well placed takedown before sinking in the fight ending rear naked choke to seal the deal.

The victory was the second in a row for Florian since coming up short against UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn during a UFC 101 title bid, while “The Fireball Kid” drops the first bout in his last three, coming off of a two fight win streak prior to this evening’s defeat.

Roy Nelson went right through Stefan Struve like a Whopper Jr. in the co-headliner of the evening, as the TUF 10 champion stalked down his vertically advantaged – or disadvantaged depending on your take – opponent from the opening bell before a well placed right hand sent the “Skyscraper” crashing to the octagon canvas in a defenseless heap just :39 seconds into the mauling.

Also looking impressive at “UFC Fight Night 21” was Jorge Rivera, who put up what could be considered a “career best” performance against Nate Quarry. “The Conquistador” utilized a powerful straight right hand to keep Quarry off balance throughout the opening round before an explosive combination of “pickaxes” from Rivera brought a conclusion to the thrashing in the opening moments of round two.

A full list of results from the event is below:

Kenny Florian def. Takanori Gomi via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 1

Roy Nelson def. Stefan Struve via KO (strikes) – Round 1

Jorge Rivera def. Nate Quarry via TKO (strikes) – Round 2

Ross Pearson def. Dennis Siver (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Andre Winner def. Rafaello Oliveira via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)

Jacob Volkmann def. Ronys Torres via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)

Nik Lentz def. Rob Emerson via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)

Gleison Tibau def. Caol Uno via TKO (punches) – Round 1

Yushin Okami def. Lucio Linhares via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 2

Gerald Harris def. Mario Miranda via TKO (punches) – Round 1

Charlie Brenneman def. Jason High via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)

• bigbadjohn says:

BIG COUNTRY VS. FRANK MIR… GO ROY GO

• Rich S. says:

Pearson/Siver was awesome..

Quarry’s inability to block is nothing short of painful to watch, and painful for him in the long run.. If he’s such a veteran, the decision to put his hands up from time to time shouldn’t be so hard.. I’m glad for Jorge, though..

I saw Nelson winning, but not like that.. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t remember him having such devastating one hit KO power pre-UFC.. He’s still getting better and better and I’m excited to watch him fight each and every time. Struve, on the other hand, needs to really focus on using his reach. I think he made ONE attempt for separation during the whole fight, however short it was. He finally decided he would let Roy come in (HUUUUUUUUUGE MISTAKE) and then counter.. And we saw how that worked out..

I hate fights like Gomi/Florian… All they do is REMIND you that one of them is good, and then crush your heart and soul with the realization that the OTHER will never be a serious contender again.. Another example being Liddell/Shogun.. Gomi is still exciting.. kind of.. but now that Florian stepped in for the first fight and set the path to victory, all of Gomi’s future opponents will do the same thing and those fights will probably end more violently.. I love Gomi to death, but swinging wildly and not blocking at all will get him NO WHERE but the hospital..

• fetussandwich says:

BIG COUNTRY VS. FRANK MIR…GO ROY GO

• Rich S. says:

Also, I found it annoying that they used every chance they got to call Gomi a legend of a the sport, and one of the greatest Lightweights of all time..

I know there are some huge Gomi fans here, but I’m not sure if anyone has ever considered him a legend..

But, it makes Florian look that much better when he wins..

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Great card overall. Love Nelsons KO. Just reached out and tagged him. Good stuff. KenFlo winning really didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. He is second best at 155 but, only problem is BJ is #1 and on a totally different level.

If BJ was not in the picture then I could totally see KenFlo being a dominant champion at 155 but, I just don’t think he has what it takes to beat BJ. I don’t anyone beating BJ at 155. I thought if anyone would stand any hope it would have been KenFlo or Sanchez and neither contest was really close and I think those two guys are capable of beating anyone else at 155. Don’t really see what is left for BJ at 155.

At this point I think burger king marketing execs should be considering having a “big country” burger for a limited time and do a commercial or 2 with the always comedic and friendly Roy Nelson … I haven’t read an article yet that doesn’t have the word whopper or the mention or a hamburger in it concerning Roy’s KO win last night…it’s a match made in burger heaven.

As good as florian looked last night I couldn’t help but think to myself a couple of times during the match that he’s not beating BJ Penn…

Pearson/siver was awesome! Great first fight!

I couldn’t help but feel more satisfied watching the card last night compared to Saturday’s fights-strange but true … And what topped it off was a good episode of TUF I think we will see some nice match ups n good fights this season- we deserve it after sticking with the tuf 10 let down.

• Lethal Liquid says:

I to thought Kenny could’ve ended that fight earlier. Always felt Gomi was overrated. You can’t tell me his skills have eroded because his still relatively young. The point is that his weaknesses are being exploited.

• Dufresne says:

KenFlo is such a talented fighter, but with BJ in the picture he’s stuck playing Scottie Pippen to BJ’s Jordan.

• elsicilian says:

Maybe KenFlo learned something after all …

• s13 says:

Awesome prediction bbj. That would be the only fight I could see Mir rebounding with truthfully. I’ve been a huge Mir fan for years, but witnessing his inconsistencies is beginning to irk me. I know MMA math never adds up, but if he couldn’t handle Lesnar or Carwin, then how in the hell would he be able to manage Dos Santos or Velasquez? That is why Mir vs Nelson would make perfect sense.Didn’t the Florian vs. Gomi fight end in the third round? Regardless, it was over as soon as Gomi stepped into the Octagon looking like complete and utter outclassed shit, so first round works well too.

Uh…hmmm, lets break down Frank’s last set of fights real quick….he fought Brock the second time and was outstrengthed easily so he added weight to fix that issue, so being overpowered is now out of the issue and not a factor in frank’s fights. Next up is Cheick Kongo…we all saw what happened with the new and improved power of frank. Then he faces a guy that NO ONE (including brock soon) will not be able to get out of the first round with and who has arguably (but not that arguably) the hardest punches in MMA. he was caught flush several times by carwin, no shame losing to a guy 11-0 with 11 stoppages under 3 minutes. My point is this, other than being overpowered (which he addressed obviously) when has he gotten crushed or been ‘inconsistent’. the only time i remember him being inconsistent was when he came back too early from his accident and didn’t look the same and went through a rough time. Someone please explain this logic to me because i really don’t get it. Nelson would not be a good move, Mir is too much for Roy. Here is what i think will happen. Mir will get his rematch with Brock once Shane KO’s Brock. That sets up Cain vs Carwin. The winner of Mir / Brock 2 gets Junior Dos Santos. If Junior gets past the winner of Mir/Brock 2 then look for Junior to get his title shot against the winner of Cain/Carwin. If Junior loses then Brock/Mir will have to win 1 more time to get another crack at the title. What you don’t see to realise is that Frank is bigger and more powerful than either dos santos or cain. I really don’t see either of those 2 guys winning the belt being that small. the days of the ‘small hw champions’ are over as far as I see, why? Carwin has a proven chin but no one has proven to be able to take his blows.

• fanoftna33 says:

Mir vs Nelson would be a pretty good fight, dont forget Nelson actually holds a submission win over Mir in a grappling tournament, but that was a few years ago. Both guys have good strikes with Mir being more technical, and Nelson having more power. It really could end up being a very good fight to see who moves forward in the HW division.

• gy614x says:

• Guthookd says:

Did anyone else think that KenFlo’s strategy (pick him apart with cautious standup and an aggressive but technically sound jab for a few rounds, then when frustration/exhaustion begins to set in, take him down for a submission) looks a lot like the strategy BJ himself has employed over the last few title defenses, including the one where he beat Kenny?Maybe KenFlo learned something after all …  (Quote)

That is exactly what I was thinking. The whole time I was watching the fight I was thinking, well, this is a BJ Penn strategy minus the kicks. Jab like there’s no tomorrow.

Which is why I’m very interested in a Kenflo/BJ II. I think it will be a different fight this time around.

• Guthookd says:

Mir vs Nelson would be awesome, however unlike some of you guys, i see Big Country coming out on top.Nelsons BJJ is probably about even at this point with Mirs and if i recall, a few years back he defeated Mir at Grapplers Quest.Mirs glass jaw would probably be the deciding factor, especially if he comes out with his lethargic boxing approach like hes been doing.  (Quote)

I think you’re right. I think Frank’s days of contendership are behind us. But, doesn’t that make it all the better a fight for Roy? What better stepping stone could he take right now. He said he thought this fight with Struve put him in the mix, but I think he’s going to need to beat Mir, Nog, or at least Kongo to really be considered a contender, and probably all three to actually get a title shot. He’s probably looking at more like 2 years and 4 fights before any title shot.

• Guthookd says:

BTW, I thought Pearson looks excellent against Siver. I picked Siver to win, and I still think that if he’d used his head movement and forgot about throwing those lead leg kicks he could have done a much better job and had a way closer fight. Pearson tagged him early though, and got in his head. I hope they don’t cut him. I think Siver has great potential even if he is behind Pearson by a ways.

I saw Quarry going down in this fight. I think he is just too slow. Rivera was on a mission. On the other hand, if Nate could have held on for like 1 more minute Rivera was completely running out of gas. The fight was about to shift into Nate’s favor, but his noggin was already fuzzed up. Rivera capitolized on that without hesitation.

Good fight.

• mu_shin says:

Thought the overhand shot by Nelson was reminiscent of the overhand shot Fedor caught Arlovski with, just not qhite as immediately devastating. Strong win for Nelson, who will probably have to contend a couple more times to be taken seriously, remembering as well the fact that Dana White can’t stand him, although ending fights in such definitive fashion could improve that. If I were coaching Struve, I might put him in the weight room, see if he couldn’t add some meat to that stringbean frame.

Agree that Florian’s third round approach demonstrated a maturity of style, and can only wonder if the takedown and submission wouldn’t have been just as effective in round one, acknowledging however that many fans are so much more openly appreciative of a stand up battle. Just wonder if anyone else gets as annoyed as I do with Kenny’s brother screaming in the background every time Florian fights? Kenny’s jab was world class, especially in the first round, and Gomi had no answers.

• Anoiselikethunder says:

Ken flo’s fights are always mad entertaining. He looked great out there last night. He has some great technical standup and some of the best foot work in MMA. I don’t see him beating BJ but I would like to see him challenge agin for the crown.

Did anyone see Okami’s fight? He looked great as well. His stand up game has really improved.

• Davey D says:

After Kenny’s performance last night. I wouldn’t mind seeing him fight Gray Maynard this Summer in Boston. I think it’ll happen. As for Gomi, I think a fight against wrestler’s like Sean Sherk, Guida or Efrain is in order. I hope they don’t cut Takanori for losing to a superior LW like Kenny Florian.

How about Roy Nelson? I’ve liked his attitude for a long time. Great guy and an even better Fighter. If he is serious about wanting to fight James Toney then I’ll buy it. But, I would also like to see him fight someone like Kongo or Gonzaga.

Rivera looked sharp last night. Quarry has sadly, seen his better days go by I think. Jorge vs. the winner of Belcher vs. Cote would be nice. A bout against Yushin Okami in Boston could also be in order.

If Nathan Diaz is going back down to 155. I want to see him fight Ross Pearson (although I think he did call out Kurt Pellegrino). Two former TUF winners going head to head never hurt anyone so I think Joe SIlva ought to look at that possiblity. Pearson vs. Siver was a good fight and deservingly got FOTN for their outstanding efforts.

• Dufresne says:

I don’t know if I want Nate to go back down. He looked pretty devastating with that weird Diaz style standup. Nate’s really starting to resemble his big brother more and more with every fight. And that is a very, very good thing.

He could probably put on a lot more muscle and still make WW, but he also competes in triathlons, so I can’t imagine he’ll ever get ripped.

• Davey D says:

@ Dufresne…I agree, when I saw the video that Nate talked about moving back down. I was a little shocked. Just because he dominated Markham and then spoke of moving down again. Personally, I think he ought to make a run at the WW title. Why stop now? If he loses in devistating fashion along the way, then he could consider a move down again. I mean, his loses at 155 were all decision’s and I don’t remember him getting beat down in any one of those. Joe Daddy did control Nathan but he didn’t really kick his ass per say. He should stay at 170 for a while and let it ride.

• GIKE MOLDBERG says:

I completely agree with Davey D here. Nate Diaz hasn’t even hit his prime yet and I personally have never seen him really lose in the UFC. I am all for Roy Nelson vs. Frank Mir. Maybe even on the next UFC on Versus. That should boost viewership a bit.

• Guthookd says:

Personally, I think he ought to make a run at the WW title. Why stop now? If he loses in devistating fashion along the way, then he could consider a move down again….nbsp; (Quote)

GSP

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Everyone wants Nelson to fight someone who recently lost, Mir, Gonzaga etc. Screw that, throw him in with Dos Santos, let’s see what he is really made of. Dana already said Dos Santos and Cain won’t fight yet and Cain gets the first shot at the winner of Carwin/Brock so why not have Nelson and JDS go at it. Two big punchers with high level BJJ, both on win streaks and trying to make a case for themselves as title contenders, why not. Who else would you have JDS fight right now? Does anyone really want to see him decapitate Mir(although the revenge factor for Nog is there)? I think Nog/Mir 2 is coming more likely.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

Oh, and Florian vs. Maynard for number 1 contender to be Penn’s next victim. Penn should stay at 155 and then have the winner of Aldo/Faber come up and have a go at 155 against Penn. Let’s see where they are really at. UFC and WEC should be one anyway. Maybe the winner of Henderson/Cerone 2 should get the call against Penn or Florian. Mix it up a bit, how good are the 155ers in the WEC? Can they compete with Florian, Sherk, Diaz? I want some of these answers!
    I am sick of waiting six months for fights. Seriously, they announce these things way too far in advance these days and it kind of takes away the purity of skill in favor for gameplan and video watching skills. Plus you have all of these cancelled/postponed fights ala UFC 108. Less prep time, just hone your skills and get in there against whoever they tell you to and let’s see who’s better. Not who’s coach is better at gameplanning. Plus, I’m impatient ; )

• Davey D says:

@ Gike Moldberg….Roy Nelson vs. Frank Mir would be pretty interesting. So would Big Country vs. Junior Do Santos. I think either of those bouts would be fantastic. I really am starting to wonder what the heck they’re going to do with James Toney. If I were a betting man, I think they ought to have “Lights Out” fight the winner of KImbo vs. Mittrione.

@ Guthookd…If Nathan can work his way up to GSP. I think that would be an excellent match up. Diaz is only 24 right now. He has plenty of time to do whatever he wants in the UFC. Today, I’d chose GSP myself but give Nathan a year or two and he’ll mold into an excellent MMA fighter. Better than he is now for sure. Same said for Georges. I’d buy that fight. Every weight class in the UFC is going to continue to get better and better as time goes on. That is a scary thought.